2008 KCBS TOY Results announced

(The Pickled Pig and That Pickled Pig look suspisious)

The frustrating part is the KCBS office called me about that in November. I'm not sure what the purpose of the call was since they didn't follow through with the correction.

This string will go a long way...still looks like some problems with team names (The Pickled Pig and That Pickled Pig look suspisious) and point calculations. Of the 5 categories they got 1 right for us...the others were not off by much and for us it doesnt matter but for some it could make a big difference.

They have us at 12th in Pork, but what I come up with is 4th. Hopefully, it will get figured out. I have faith that it will.

Only cooked in one KCBS comp in 2008 as "Midnight Butts" and came in 1224 Overall, my eyeballs are bleeding from scouring the results!

Congrats to all the Brethren!

There sure are some hilarious team names!

This string will go a long way...still looks like some problems with team names (The Pickled Pig and That Pickled Pig look suspisious) and point calculations. Of the 5 categories they got 1 right for us...the others were not off by much and for us it doesnt matter but for some it could make a big difference.

For us, the point totals were correct on chicken, ribs and pork. Overall and brisket both gave us 5 mystery points each - so it was very close

Is 26 right? Were all 26 KCBS santioned events? I'm thinking the numbers must be off here because if that's right, we averaged more points a comp then Munchin Hog - which I doubt is the case since Rob seems to always finish in the top 10.

OK, I figured this out after reading the point system process. Only the top 10 scores are used (per catagory). Thus Munchin Hog killed us in average points as I would have expected. I thinks I should have looked for rules before posting that. My bad.

One thing I noticed while adding up my points is the benefit (???) of bonus points for cooking in large contests. But I ask, what should have been worth more points?

A) a top 10 in a small comp (25 teams)
B) finishing in the bottom 25% of a catagory in a large comp (over 100 teams)

I'd say A, but B provided more points. In fact, finishing 10th in a 25 team comp would equal the same number of points as finishing dead last in a 100+ team comp - 125 points. I'm not saying finishing 10th out of 25 is a great feat ... but the team who finished 24th overall/per catagoy at the Royal (insert any large comp here) got the same number of points as the team who finished dead last. Finishing 24th at these large comps is still a damn good finish. A super bonus catagory would be something to consider in these mega comps.

They have us at 12th in Pork, but what I come up with is 4th. Hopefully, it will get figured out. I have faith that it will.

Are you only counting your top 10 results? I initially made that mistake when I was running some rough calculations then felt kinda dumb when I realized I was using data from all 14 events that qualified.

Are you only counting your top 10 results? I initially made that mistake when I was running some rough calculations then felt kinda dumb when I realized I was using data from all 14 events that qualified.

Yes. I believe that our 2nd place pork finish at the Pork Expo isn't being counted... and it should.

There are other teams who have more bonus points than they should using the numbers from the results section of the KCBS site.

Hey...we only made one contest this year (had to cancel everything else due to work trips) and we were still 1000 from the bottom! Sweet!
I only competed in one, and was in the top 50%!

SWEET!!! I'M A STAR!!!:biggrin:

Yes. I believe that our 2nd place pork finish at the Pork Expo isn't being counted... and it should.

There are other teams who have more bonus points than they should using the numbers from the results section of the KCBS site.

Not sure the Pork Expo should count. Did you cook all 4 KCBS entries? Also Invitationals don't count as my 3rd in Brisket doesn't show up in my totals.

I'm still struggling with an idea on how to treat all teams fairly. Maybe they should come up with a standard Mulligan % for every team lets say 20%. Teams that participate in 5 contests get 1 Mulligan (drop their lowest contest). Teams that participate in 10 get 2 and so on. The other scores are then averaged by the number of contests left. There is no perfect system but a team participating in 30 contests definitely should not get 20 Mulligans which is what the current system allows and I don't think a team participating in only 5 has a right to lay claim to team of the year over those competing in 20-30 contests a year. I think if you do the divisional thing 10 contests and below, a minimum of 5 to be in the team of the year running, and then 11 and above with the Mulligan % thrown in it might be fair to everyone and stimulate interest in both large and small contests.

The intent however of the new KCBS scoring system however is not to be fair as much as it is to encourage growth in contests across the country and growth in the number of participants in these contests. It is however somewhat of a flawed system as it rewards those disproportionately with the scarce resources of time and money that most (99%) of us are in very short supply of these days. For that reason I do like the concept of a pro and semi pro division for computing KCBS Team of the Year. By making the cutoff 10 contests, teams in the semi-pro division would always have the option of moving up into the pro division by doing more contests at their discretion and the majority of the rest of those that compete would still feel that they would have some skin in the game at the semi-pro level.

Not sure the Pork Expo should count. Did you cook all 4 KCBS entries? Also Invitationals don't count as my 3rd in Brisket doesn't show up in my totals.

It has counted historically for ribs and pork, but not overall.

My points and standings are all wrong too. As I might have audited a few teams, just to see where I stood.... It's funny, but all my point totals matched Pickled Pigs totals... So good job Paul!!!

upper 3rds in all catregories and 800 in one not bad for us LOL

My points and standings are all wrong too. As I might have audited a few teams, just to see where I stood.... It's funny, but all my point totals matched Pickled Pigs totals... So good job Paul!!!

Shoot an email to KCBS and they'll look at it. I'm hoping for an answer to a couple of questions on Monday.

I went back and did some research and found that indeed the Qlossal Ribs and Pork have been counted for those TOY categories. From my calcs, that should move us to 5th for pork. We'll see. Just happy to be breathing that air. Getting a TOY call has been a dream for some time.

I think 4 Leg's Up pork standing is way wrong. I think his Jack finishes got counted or something like that.

Ribs and pork do count from Qlossal. The GAB, ARI and Jack (Invitationals) do not count for anything, except the instant gratifications...

Good job on the pork Todd. Been a drive for me to get a top 10 as well.

Ribs and pork do count from Qlossal. The GAB, ARI and Jack (Invitationals) do not count for anything, except the instant gratifications...

Good job on the pork Todd. Been a drive for me to get a top 10 as well.

Good times!!!

P3131455Reg.jpg

I'm still struggling with an idea on how to treat all teams fairly. Maybe they should come up with a standard Mulligan % for every team lets say 20%. Teams that participate in 5 contests get 1 Mulligan (drop their lowest contest). Teams that participate in 10 get 2 and so on. The other scores are then averaged by the number of contests left. There is no perfect system but a team participating in 30 contests definitely should not get 20 Mulligans which is what the current system allows and I don't think a team participating in only 5 has a right to lay claim to team of the year over those competing in 20-30 contests a year. I think if you do the divisional thing 10 contests and below, a minimum of 5 to be in the team of the year running, and then 11 and above with the Mulligan % thrown in it might be fair to everyone and stimulate interest in both large and small contests.

The intent however of the new KCBS scoring system however is not to be fair as much as it is to encourage growth in contests across the country and growth in the number of participants in these contests. It is however somewhat of a flawed system as it rewards those disproportionately with the scarce resources of time and money that most (99%) of us are in very short supply of these days. For that reason I do like the concept of a pro and semi pro division for computing KCBS Team of the Year. By making the cutoff 10 contests, teams in the semi-pro division would always have the option of moving up into the pro division by doing more contests at their discretion and the majority of the rest of those that compete would still feel that they would have some skin in the game at the semi-pro level.

I'm not sure if I agree.... so lets say you have a semi pro at a contest that a pro is at.... do you now have two flights at the contests too, or weight a 5th place "semi pro" finish against a pro finish in the same event? etc, etc?

If you want to be in the running, cook more. If you are a race driver that only runs in 1/2 the races for the season, you will not be in the running for cup. I would hate to think of how complicated it would be to get things separated for a multi-tier system. simpler is better.... IMHO :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if I agree.... so lets say you have a semi pro at a contest that a pro is at.... do you now have two flights at the contests too, or weight a 5th place "semi pro" finish against a pro finish in the same event? etc, etc?

If you want to be in the running, cook more. If you are a race driver that only runs in 1/2 the races for the season, you will not be in the running for cup. I would hate to think of how complicated it would be to get things separated for a multi-tier system. simpler is better.... IMHO :rolleyes:

I was thinking this morning about what is the financial investment into reaching TOY Overall. Munchin Rob did dozens of contests this year. I'd be exhausted and broke.

Wait, I already am.

I was thinking this morning about what is the financial investment into reaching TOY Overall. Munchin Rob did dozens of contests this year. I'd be exhausted and broke.

Wait, I already am.

Or, just cook 10 and win them, geesh... what an amatuer :rolleyes::twisted:

But you are right - alot of money to spend for braggin' rights.

You are not exhausted though. I know better. :twisted::twisted:

Feb Here we come!

Back