1st attempt at Tri-Level w/ Dalmation Rub w/ PRON

Sounds like they came out great! I'm also a convert on this method, although I usually run in the 315-325 degree range, after a couple of hours at 225. I'm also a recent convrt to the "quit being so hung up on temps" club. Once I crank the heat, as long as i'm between 270 and 340 degrees I really don't worry and I can just focus on drinking my beer. Looking forward to the finished pics!

Just wanted to post an update. Pulled 1 of 2 and carved it up for me and the parents for dinner earlier. Hunger had set in extremely badly, and I didn't snap any pics. The second one is resting in the cooler as I type. I'll get some pics after it's rested for a couple hours and I carve that bad boy up. Regarding #1, it was by far the best brisket I've ever done, and I've done quite a few in my 10 years of this habit. #2 was being extremely stubborn in getting done. It was on the pit for almost 13 hrs!! The bark is a little dry, but I'm hoping wrapping and holding in a cooler will help moisten it back up. For those looking to up their briskets a notch, try the tri-level dalmation rub. It's worth it!!!

I don't get it... even a 14 pounder at 270 to 300 would be done in a fraction of the time.

Wrapping helps a lot. But I assume the long time made it tougher. I had a guy the other day cook three in a Oyler designed to load with several hundred pounds. He asked me how long and I said flip the last hour at 4 - we put it on at 10. BUT HE NEVER LOADED ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PIT. so it was done probaly by 2. Thats right. he burned it up by not loading the pit.

Doing two briskets today. Picked up two 11 lb 'ish full packers at Wal-Mart. One had a big gash in the flat which I didn't notice until I opened them. Hopefully this doesn't dry that flat out. One is for dinner with the parents, and one to vaccum seal for later. Trying Popdaddy's Tri-Level with Dalmation technique. I've only got PRON for one of them.

Up at 3am. Stoked a fire on the old stickburner: Fuels of Choice? White oak and Mesquite.

5.jpg

De-cryo'ed the Briskets. Here's a shot pre-trim

Trimmed:

1_17Brisket002.jpg

Fat side up with a light coat of Bolners "Season It All".

1_17Brisket003.jpg

Fat side up with a liberal coat of a no salt rub I threw together. Rub consisted of:

3 Parts Ground Ancho Chili poweder
3 Parts Chili powder
3 Parts Granulated Garlic
3 Parts fresh ground celery seed
3 parts Onion Powder
3 Parts ground mustard seed
3 parts Paprika
2 Parts fresh ground Cumin

Next, a very liberal coating of Dalmation rub, without lemon pepper though. Having a hard time finding a no/low salt version.

After all that work, I found myself extremely famished and hungry so I made some Bean and cheese breakfast tacos:

1_17Brisket007.jpg

More pics later....

mrs dash no salt lemmon pepper

I don't get it... even a 14 pounder at 270 to 300 would be done in a fraction of the time.

Wrapping helps a lot. But I assume the long time made it tougher. I had a guy the other day cook three in a Oyler designed to load with several hundred pounds. He asked me how long and I said flip the last hour at 4 - we put it on at 10. BUT HE NEVER LOADED ANYTHING ELSE IN THE PIT. so it was done probaly by 2. Thats right. he burned it up by not loading the pit.

In so much as I paid attention, the temp spiked at about 237 in 6 1/2 hrs before I cranked it up to 'medium' hot/fast temps. So this, I'm attributing, is the reason it took so long. Incidentally, #2, with it's longer cook time tasted just as good as #1 after a wrap and rest. I 'just' carved it up and vaccum sealed it. Took pics, but as I was transferring the first pic to my PC, the battery on the camera died. :icon_pissed So it's charging now, and I'll get some final pics up tomorrow. I know, till the pron, it never happened...:wink:

I am saving that one for sure!

be sure and tone down the outer spices (which are designed to force outside flavors into the meat. when ever you use that technique. Add some water maybe. Some added broth in the injection medium and I realized, hey, your adding broth to broth, LOL

In so much as I paid attention, the temp spiked at about 237 in 6 1/2 hrs before I cranked it up to 'medium' hot/fast temps. So this, I'm attributing, is the reason it took so long. Incidentally, #2, with it's longer cook time tasted just as good as #1 after a wrap and rest. I 'just' carved it up and vaccum sealed it. Took pics, but as I was transferring the first pic to my PC, the battery on the camera died. :icon_pissed So it's charging now, and I'll get some final pics up tomorrow. I know, till the pron, it never happened...:wink:

I see, you you low and slowed it 6 and a half hours before mediumed and walked it.

Although that would work well with a different rub technique, you have to be sure and have that cranked up after your small ring setting temp. The key here is to get that meat into the stall as efficiently as possible.

the secret injection tip is so hidden now I cannot even search for it... LOL

I've lost my own proof making it invisible, damn

Some of the untrimmed fat on the fat side had a weird consistency, as you can probably tell from the pic of the whole thing. I don't know what happened there. The areas that I trimmed down rendered down nicely, but the areas that were the right thickness and I left alone had a very strange consistency to them. Never had that happen before. Oh well, it turned out great none the less. Anyway, thanks for looking guys. And if you've never done the tri-level with dalmation technique, I highly suggest it. I made some mistakes, but I know what they were, and it still turned out GREAT. Though I think I already said that. :biggrin:

I use my own version of the tri-level rub. I don't know from ratios. It's all by look and feel.

1. Seasoning Salt
2. Montreal
3. Lemon Pepper (w/salt)

I toss them in as the smoker is coming up to temp. Get it locked in around 250-275 and cruise till it's done.

The uncut finished pix (good color) looks as good as the sliced up ones. nice job.

Back