180 point winners

I can understand the argument about the number of good teams at a contest, I've cooked in a few of those. But why wouldn't the Sam's Club Invitational have that many 180's? Wasn't that the best of the best?

Scottie, that Sam's club contest was brutal!!! It was major hot and humid. The power at the contest sucked at best so air conditioners were on until Friday night. A lot of people were fried. I can say that my food in Great Bend was a hell of a lot better than Sam's Club... and I had three contests in three days in Great Bend.

The other thing that several of us noted in Great Bend was how serious everyone was taking that contest. You didn't see a lot of visiting. People would visit for a while, and then get back to work. Folks knew that they had to have an A+ game to take home any awards, points, and cash... especially when Pellet Envy totally smoked everyone in Chest to Chest and the first KCBS contest.

Well I guess I was sorta taking a poke... but in reality. The team that beat all the heat and humidity was a team that cooked under 2 Ez-Ups. Lets face it. We have all cooked in big time contests with a ton of talent, that everyone is taking seriously to win. Ultimately it comes down to the judging. I'd say they were very very generous that day. We don't ever see 180 in our region or a lot of other regions... I guess we all need to learn how to cook? ;)

You can't discount the talent. As someone above said 5 Jack pulls and consistent talent with former Royal, etc winners. You have 5 amped up teams out to impress right off the bat. You have former champions psyched at the possibility of facing and beating some of the best out there today. The food was obviously at such a level to impress the experienced judge, as we hear from the chatter after the contest. So it would stand to reason that Joe Q Public would consider this the greatest BBQ they ever ate.

An experienced judge who gives a 9 9 9 on the 1st piece and the second piece is better? Well its another 9 9 9. If each submission is on par or better then his first everyone gets a 9 9 9. I think you have a situation where the talent shocked the judges and blew up their baseline.

Like Todd said there was very little visiting. At 9:30 the night before the final cook the isles we DEAD everyone was tucked away. I have to say that I have never seen that before.

Well I guess I was sorta taking a poke... but in reality. The team that beat all the heat and humidity was a team that cooked under 2 Ez-Ups. Lets face it. We have all cooked in big time contests with a ton of talent, that everyone is taking seriously to win. Ultimately it comes down to the judging. I'd say they were very very generous that day. We don't ever see 180 in our region or a lot of other regions... I guess we all need to learn how to cook? ;)

It was a combination of the two: a lot of focus by the teams and generous judges.

You said it was experienced judging, but the cbj was only 71% so it wasn't all experienced judging. I'm not saying it is a bad that all the 180 were put out there, but it is just weird. I'm sure judging that talent level is extrememly diffucult, wish i could of been there.:thumb:

Those teams are in other events, so shouldn't they have got 180 in other events if that is the case

I think the scores have been creeping up over the past couple years and we're headed right back where we are. Another one of those things at KCBS that never really gets fixed.

The problem with the 1980s for me is that it completely castrates the tie breaking system. At 180, the first tie breaker is the 6th judge. who we had thrown out because he might be a loose canon, and then a coin flip. So this big money high profile 5 Jack cook-off was decided by the judges we'd thrown out and coin flips.

I tried to get decimals instituted 5-6 years ago when I was on the board and John Ross told us that it couldn't be done in DOS. Of course most of the world was already using Windows but John didn't know how to write in Windows so he bull****ted the board members that were computer illiterate into siding with him and it went away.
Then came the start at 6 nonsense and the 6 is average nonsense and now it's evolved back to a 7-8-9 system with mostly 8s and 9s.

The cooks all like getting 9s and are willing to ignore the problem when scores are high.

Then came the start at 6 nonsense and the 6 is average nonsense and now it's evolved back to a 7-8-9 system with mostly 8s and 9s.

The cooks all like getting 9s and are willing to ignore the problem when scores are high.

We don't see these scores on the east coast. There is a definite difference in the judging "approach" between the east coast and the middle of the country. Have these two judging pools been taught differently?

My opinion is it has a lot to do with the region. Whether that has to do with the training instructor, reps or not? I haven't tracked the 180's, but am sure it would be intersting to see if it can be tracked by region and/or reps.... Although, I couldn't really care less. I'd like to have one, but that is not a ultimate goal, so I don't worry about it.

We don't see these scores on the east coast. There is a definite difference in the judging "approach" between the east coast and the middle of the country. Have these two judging pools been taught differently?

Wow! That's amazing...180's (200's now for PNWBA) are few and far between up here in the left hand corner...there were two in one comp last year...and so far none this year (I think)...congrats to all that received them...must have been some killer Q that day...:cool:

Agree, well maybe not the judge coment though. Has there been a 180 in the Mid-Atlantic/NE in the 4 KCBS categories in the last 3-4 years? Not that I remember.

I do not recall a single 180 in the Northeast in the KCBS 4 since the "scoring change"

Ties do suck. However, isn't it possible for an entry to be perfect? If a judge can't think of a single criticism and basically concludes "couldnt be better" ... shouldn't the team get a perfect score? If so, in a strong field it is certainly possible that 3 or 4 entries meet that couldn't be better criteria.

Wasn't there a 180 in the contest the day before Great Bend? Maybe the judges caught wind of that (same judges?) and thought that maybe its OK to give a perfect score to perfect food.

How is it possible that at a kcbs event in KS that there were 9 180 point results, how is that possible??? Let me know what you think!!!:heh:

a $50.00 dollar bills tuck unders each portion:becky:

Wow! That's amazing...180's (200's now for PNWBA) are few and far between up here in the left hand corner...there were two in one comp last year...and so far none this year (I think)...congrats to all that received them...must have been some killer Q that day...:cool:

Other Side of the Tracks got a 200 for Chicken at "Smokin' at the Root" in Stevensville, MT

An experienced judge who gives a 9 9 9 on the 1st piece and the second piece is better? Well its another 9 9 9. If each submission is on par or better then his first everyone gets a 9 9 9. I think you have a situation where the talent shocked the judges and blew up their baseline.

Skip, under the KCBS scoring rules comparitive judging is forbiden, each entry should be judged on its own merits. I know that not all judges follow (or understand) this little point, but we all should know the rules :thumb:.

Back