12 HR Smoked Pork Butt. (Pron Galore)

Nice pics! I have a Brinkmann vertical smoker, too - and with some mods, it turns out good Q! excellent work!

Nice looking butt, if you run the pit temp to 275 it would have been done in about 6 hrs and retained more moisture. at those low temps your warming it to death and drying it out over time.JM2C I'm a rookie I've only been doing this stuff for 32 yrs:noidea:

Cooking under 275 is warming to death and eight pound butts are done in six hours at 275?

Guess my "done" is different.

My 8.5lb went on last night at 9pm & was done this morning at around 7am. Grill temp stayed around 235-250. I remember my old sidebox smoker...having to get up every 2 hours...and going through a bag of charcoal. Needless to say, I was a tad bit grumpy the next day. Then I got the Chargriller Kamado and now I only use about 4-5lbs of Royal Oak hardwood lump and cook all night without getting up. (Sounds like an infomercial, I know!) These style grills really are great.

Dang bro, you rocked it! By chance, did you try mixing some (fat still included) pan drippings back in during your pull to counter the dryness?

I recently did a 8lb bone-in butt where I smoked it the first 4hrs at 200-250deg with apple wood chunks for the smoke. I checked the internal temp at 4.5hrs and it was 153deg. I then opened the up the bottom vents so I could get the temp up to the 250-300deg range for the remainder of the cook. At the 8hr mark my internal temp was 183deg. I figured I would have had an hour or less left to get to 200deg but I underestimated my amount of charcoal I had, so my smoker temp was down to 200deg and I was out of fuel. So I had to take the butt off the grill and wrap it and put it in the oven to get to 200deg. Set the oven to 325deg and it took about 45minutes to get to 200deg. Let it rest for 30minutes and the bone pulled out clean. Matter of fact it almost fell out. Total time for the cook was around 9.5 hrs. Would have been less if I would have had more charcoal to keep the temp up where I wanted it at. I'll post pics soon.

Back