1 Butt on the Weber Now, Another going on Shortly

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey everyone. Today is my first attempt at pulled pork with Boston Butts. My local Fresh Market had boneless butt on sale for $1 off per pound. I'm told by everyone in this area (and my wife) that their meat is superior. We paid $2.99/lb. I got up this morning and started prepping everything, only to find the butcher mismarked one of the packages, and charged us the price for baby backs. It was a $12 overcharge. So my wife went over there and got it corrected. But during the time I was waiting for them to open, I was afraid to prep the cut that he mismarked, in case she needed to take it back to the store with her. That put me behind on getting that one rubbed and injected. No big deal, I guess. Just a minor inconvenience.

I wish I could post photos, and I may try to snap a few the next time I open the Weber.

Nothing better than smoked pork. Are you going to let it ride through the stall or are you going to foil? I like to let mine ride out the stall. Although it is more tender when you foil the butt. Better bark formed when you let it ride and it is like candy you can never have enough.

Since it's my first time, and the only things I know about how to do it were what I found on YouTube videos (Malcom Reed), I guess I didn't know any other method than TO foil it. That being the case, the first one is foiled and the second one (a little larger) isn't. He foils at 160, and since I only have one probe, it's in the cut that is farther along. I don't think the later piece is at 160 yet, which is why it hasn't been foiled. Now that I've read your post, maybe I won't foil the second one? Like you said, everyone talks about bark, and the bark I've seen in videos looks great. I'd like to see if I can get a bark like that.

Speaking of stalling, does a pork butt ALWAYS stall? On a related note, the foiled cut is climbing very slowly. It's currently at 178, and according to Malcom Reed, it should come off at around 190 or so.

Wire-it......

Foiling is one possible choice......this is what un-foiled (during the cook) looks like:

Pork7-27-2014085.jpg

the bark will be thick, darker & heavier smoke flavored....

Foiling can be for several reasons, one is to keep a color that you like, another is to speed cooking some....it also softens the bark if you don't like it real crunchy.....

They won't always stall.....a higher heat cook will likely blow right thru it.......some cook @ 325f, but that ends at a higher temp also (like 210, maybe)......
Going by temprature is dicey......bone wiggle is maybe the best indicator, but you have boneless, so when a probe (therm tip is OK, just don't so much be concerned with the actual temp) goes into the piece several places REAL, REAL quick & easy (like say, room temp cream cheese)....then it's done.....likely, if you look at the therm, it will be more like 200f or so....

Personally, I like to foil after the cook & let them sit wrapped in foil & an old clean towel for an hour or two to let the juice level out thru the piece.....people approach this differently & if you're real hungry, then EAT RIGHT NOW !!!!

If you don't foil you have to go lighter on rub as to much rub will give you a thick bark that's too hard. Light on rub will allow the bark to be thinner. I like to cook to about 205 but sometimes beyond that. 205 is a good temp to be checking it for bone wiggle. I don't use boneless unless it is a traeger pellet grill. Foil might be the way to go as boneless tend to dry out.

The bark in that photo looks very tasty. I was talking to my brother, who is a little farther along in his meat smoking experience than I am, and he said the bark can look black and you'll swear by looking at it that it's burned to a crisp. But when you taste it, the flavor is unreal. That's what I'd like to achieve.

I ended up not foiling the second butt. It has a nice bark on it, but not as dark as that photo. I think it's in a stall, because it has been sitting in the low 160's for quite some time. The first butt has been pulled, and is in a sealed container. The taste test made me happy.

Once the second one is done and rested, I'll pull it as well, and probably just mix all of it together in one bowl.

The first one has Komado Smokey Paprika rub on it. The second one is rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust, which I made a new batch of this morning.

I got an injection recipe Online, which has apple juice, water, white sugar, salt, and Worcestershire. I injected both butts with the same injection. Pretty happy with the results on the first one. Would be nice to get a good bark on the second one and mix them up for dinner tonight.

Maybe at least do a quick separate taste test on the second so you know which one you like for next time......?

Glad it's going well.....:clap:

That's a good idea... one that wouldn't have occurred to me. Judging by looks, I'm anxious to try this second one that's "barkin like a dawg"!

Quick question... I think I remember someone here telling me last week that pork is considered done when the internal temperature reads a minimum of 160 degrees. I looked for that message and couldn't find it. Is that the safe "done" temperature for pork?

If so, I could probably take the second butt off now. Thoughts?

"safe" is 145f, but you're going for pulled pork, right?

That takes a farther reaching cook to break down the components to get it to pull / shread.....195+, depending on that other stuff mentioned above ^^^^ (Going by temperature is dicey)

To slice a pork butt, go to maybe 170 ~180, rest, then it will slice without falling apart....

If you want it pulled, go farther into the Dark Forrest.......:wink::-D

The smoker is right at 225, and has been for quite some time. But this second butt has been sitting at about 160 forever. Evidently, it is indeed in a stall. Any idea how long that will last? Does this happen because the heat has to break down a certain tissue that is outside the thermo probe?

The smoker is right at 225, and has been for quite some time. But this second butt has been sitting at about 160 forever. Evidently, it is indeed in a stall. Any idea how long that will last? Does this happen because the heat has to break down a certain tissue that is outside the thermo probe?

Open it up some & let the heat come up......won't hurt a thing, esp. later in the cook.....

Go ahead, the PIG can take it !!!!

"Does this happen because the heat has to break down a certain tissue that is outside the thermo probe?"

Nothing to do with thermometers.....the pork is doing what pork does under these conditions.....collagen converting to gelatin......takes a little time.....crank it up.....the PIG can take it !!!!!

OK, going to open vents now. What temp should I shoot for? I may need to add charcoal. The Weber's been going strong since about 8 AM. That's 9.5 hours ago for my time zone.

275 or something like that should be fine.....the stall will begin to move fairly soon after......

Strongly suggest you wrap & rest for an hour or two, but you know your time schedule.....

Here's what a min. two hour rest is like:

PPork4.png

Man, that looks good! Looks like a deep smoke ring. I opened the vents all the way, and the temp seemed to be dropping. Checked the charcoal and it was about spent. This is by far my longest cook yet, so I've never needed to add charcoal before today. Good thing I bought more last night.

I sure do appreciate your help. That's very kind of you. If you ever need guidance with an electrical issue, just let me know.

You can put it in a 275* oven until its done. It has pretty much absorbed all the smoke it will. This is what I do when I do one in my mini, it runs out of fuel after 7 hrs. or so. I just finish it in the oven.

kls44, you live in Pensacola?

The slow butt finally blew through the stall, and the internal is rising quickly now. 10 more degrees and I'll be taking it off and wrapping it. I'll give it at least a 30 minute rest, and then unwrap it and pull it.

We just finished dinner, and the first butt is pretty much gone. Probably one of the best meals I've ever made.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and encouragement.

Yeah raising the temp a little isn't bad. I like to just sit and wait to break the stall because I really have no good reason other than more bbq time. Meat tastes better when you are starving after working hard all day to get the perfect butt. It goes for hours and hours without foil or raising the temp there is no telling when it will be done. Best lesson I was ever taught was it is done when it is done and not a minute sooner than that. This isn't an oven this is bbq it is an art and great art takes time. Trust me though it is worth the wait. One other thing remember there are many ways to get a great end product. Some guys foil some don't some spritz some don't some even cook hot and fast. Find what works for you. Do it your way because you know what you like.

Back