THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow, nicely done Phrasty. How did you make the noodles, in a pasta machine or by hand? They are very well done. Did you make alkali noodles, or pure egg noodles?

For the sake of accuracy, and I would totally eat at least a bowl of that. Tonkotsu is really a milk broth, that requires the boiling of pork bones until the broth become opaque white.

Thanks again guys!

Wow, nicely done Phrasty. How did you make the noodles, in a pasta machine or by hand? They are very well done. Did you make alkali noodles, or pure egg noodles?

For the sake of accuracy, and I would totally eat at least a bowl of that. Tonkotsu is really a milk broth, that requires the boiling of pork bones until the broth become opaque white.

Hey Bob, was waiting on you... :heh:
I used a pasta machine to cut the noodles. I was experimenting a bit with the recipe. I wasn't pulling the noodles and I didn't have alkali water but I did add a bit of baking powder to it to see if that would break down the glutens. I didn't see a major change but maybe I just didn't beat the dough enough. they came out really well all the same as far as texture and whatnot.

I've made this stock a couple times now (id say 8-10 times) and I find that the harder you boil the stock is the milkier it gets especially if you don't skim the scum. Now I could be wrong here but it's just what I've noticed since I've been making it. I actually wanted to try get a "clearer" stock this time so I left it on a REALLY low simmer, like right where the flame is about to go out on my burner. This one was boiling for about 7 hours... Now I don't know how accurate this is but I have had milkier stocks before with the same "recipe" but just with more of a rolling simmer.

Cheers

Awesome feast man..What type of camera are you shooting with? I need to start grabbing my Nikon instead of the iphone :twitch:

Not to hijack your thread but I see your comfortable moving around the kitchen and grill & you're from Jamaica.. you prefer Walkerswood or Grace for store bought Jerk? about to try Grace for the 1st time in couple days on a cook; Walkerswood has treated me very good so far...chicken is great..salmon and other fish are phenom with it.. Thanks for the feedback

Awesome feast man..What type of camera are you shooting with? I need to start grabbing my Nikon instead of the iphone :twitch:

Not to hijack your thread but I see your comfortable moving around the kitchen and grill & you're from Jamaica.. you prefer Walkerswood or Grace for store bought Jerk? about to try Grace for the 1st time in couple days on a cook; Walkerswood has treated me very good so far...chicken is great..salmon and other fish are phenom with it.. Thanks for the feedback

Thanks Uncblue. I uhm... actually used my iphone for these shots. :icon_blush: :heh:
The trick is lighting.
and Walkerswood by far IMO. :becky:

Cheers

I've been wondering too, same as Bob.
Machine or by hand...and if by machine, was it a pasta machine?

First time at these noodles, sir, you are a freak!
Just unbelievable.:clap:

Phrasty, you can make a serviceable version of alkaline noodles, by cooking the baking soda at 250F for one hour. I make it one cup at a time, and you can store it indefinitely. This is a form of Kansui, although real kansui is better, it is much harder to find. Using this, the basic ramen noodle recipe, will have all the characteristics of Japanese ramen, or Chinese West Lake noodles.

Why would you do this? Well, because once you can get a kansui noodle to work, and it is considerably harder than egg noodles to get right, you can make thin noodles that will not get soft or break down in the very hot broth favored for ramen. The noodles most folks are familiar with are a far cry from the real thing.

As to the Tonkotsu, the milky broth that is boiled hard, that is the real deal. The stock you made, sure looks great, and is probably a great Asian noodle stock base. I bet it would be great for Pho or Won Ton soup. Tonkotsu is rarely made correctly in the US. It should be slightly thick, almost white and opaque. When made correctly, the bones will almost crumble when removed from the stock. It is extremely rich and it coats the mouth when you eat it. Try this, take a pork neck and shoulder, add in the ribs and boil for 3 o 4 hours, hard boil, until the stock turns milky white. Remove the bones, and reduce by about 1/4. Then turn off heat, add in some seaweed and let it steep. That will be an amazing stock.

I've been wondering too, same as Bob.
Machine or by hand...and if by machine, was it a pasta machine?

First time at these noodles, sir, you are a freak!
Just unbelievable.:clap:

Yea Bucc, I used the pasta attachment for the Kitchen Aid. It really works great. Thanks Bucc! :loco:

Phrasty, you can make a serviceable version of alkaline noodles, by cooking the baking soda at 250F for one hour. I make it one cup at a time, and you can store it indefinitely. This is a form of Kansui, although real kansui is better, it is much harder to find. Using this, the basic ramen noodle recipe, will have all the characteristics of Japanese ramen, or Chinese West Lake noodles.

Why would you do this? Well, because once you can get a kansui noodle to work, and it is considerably harder than egg noodles to get right, you can make thin noodles that will not get soft or break down in the very hot broth favored for ramen. The noodles most folks are familiar with are a far cry from the real thing.

As to the Tonkotsu, the milky broth that is boiled hard, that is the real deal. The stock you made, sure looks great, and is probably a great Asian noodle stock base. I bet it would be great for Pho or Won Ton soup. Tonkotsu is rarely made correctly in the US. It should be slightly thick, almost white and opaque. When made correctly, the bones will almost crumble when removed from the stock. It is extremely rich and it coats the mouth when you eat it. Try this, take a pork neck and shoulder, add in the ribs and boil for 3 o 4 hours, hard boil, until the stock turns milky white. Remove the bones, and reduce by about 1/4. Then turn off heat, add in some seaweed and let it steep. That will be an amazing stock.

Good to know Bob. Will share this with my friend thats very much into Japanese cooking. I get my info on my process from him. Now I'm not that much of a conventional man, I like to do things my way... But for the noodles I'm gonna give what you said a go for sure. Noodle texture is a very important thing... (did I really just say that? :twitch:) and I will give your more traditional stock a go when I'm out. Sounds good. I didnt know they'd use such meaty cuts as shoulder and neck I thought it was more bones and trotters. I actually am looking forward to that milky broth. Maybe I'll keep some of this one in the freezer to compare. Thanks Bud...

Cheers

Back