• Halloween Dinner: Cast Iron Skillet Chicago Deep Dish Pizza on the Grill

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
It’s been a while since I’ve done a deep dish pie. I’ve been loving the Blackstone Pizza/Patio oven so much I haven’t revisited this pizza style, but a few weeks ago, felt it was time to cook up one of these savory, rich, and hearty pies, especially with the fall weather upon us.

This time, I found a respected source for an authentic style Chicago style pizza dough, which you can see here:

DSC_3084_zps621c20ec.jpg

The difference between “pan style” pizza vs Chicago deep dish is the high amount of oil in the Chicago style crust, which renders a very flaky, almost buttery crust. I followed the recipe to the letter. In addition, the sequence of toppings and sauce is totally different, with cheese on the bottom, then followed by toppings, then finally, the sauce. The only difference is I cooked the pizza on the grill, and using a cast iron skillet.

So let’s get started!

We made the dough as prescribed, along with my own homemade sauce, and let the dough sit covered tightly for about two hours. While we did this, we served our local kids treats and tricks.

When the last of the trick or treaters left, we brought in our decorations and started working on pizza construction.

DSC_3105_zpsbec89e9a.jpg

I also fired up a full chimney of coals, and while those lit, cooked up some spicy Italian sausage:

DSC_3081_zps20bb507b.jpg

DSC_3088_zpsbe399872.jpg

Time to build the pie:

DSC_3086_zps4abcc501.jpg

Dough fully formed to pan:

DSC_3089_zps025b991e.jpg

Now the first layer of cheese – sliced provolone:

DSC_3090_zps17bd40d1.jpg

A layer of mozzarella on top of the provolone:

DSC_3091_zpsec170d9c.jpg

Now the sausage:

DSC_3092_zps1a2b4e46.jpg

It's important to note here that the sausage is usually put on raw, in a single layer covering the cheese, however, I just didn't want to go that route and clog my arteries prematurely. :biggrin1:

Pepperoni:

DSC_3097_zps62ac96d9.jpg

And sauce:

DSC_3098_zps74b54fb4.jpg

Typically, the sauce is then topped with grated Parmesan and nothing else, but I added a bit of mozzarella as well to give the top a firmer texture:

DSC_3100_zps7cd778f9.jpg

Kingsford Oval ready for action:

DSC_3101_zps92937d3a.jpg

And on goes the pie!

DSC_3104_zps5d9a3df3.jpg

About 15 minutes later:

DSC_3107_zps1d805e08.jpg

I pulled the pizza when it had cooked a total of 35 minutes, and then let it rest. The filling of the pie was so molten, I could literally see it “jiggle” as I brought the pie in. I then let it rest for 10 minutes.

Out of the cast iron skillet:

DSC_3108_zps2d60345e.jpg

Now sliced:

ChicagoStylePizza4_zps5bf31c0b.jpg

And here’s a close up, complete with steam coming out the top:

DSC_3118_zps99c91196.jpg

So how was it? Well, it was pretty fantastic! Talk about a perfect blend of gooey, cheesy, savory goodness. The crust was flaky and pastry like, which is to be expected. I may experiment with a hybrid crust next time that is more like a regular pizza with a bit less oil so the dough is more bread-like, but overall, it was just delicious, and mighty filling!

Nice pie, Moose! You had me until you added the extra mozzarella on top :-D

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the crust recipe but it looks right. Most of the deep dish places around here put a little olive oil in the pan before adding the dough. That let's the crust fry a little as it cook and give it a crispy bottom. I don't know if your recipe called for that or not.

As far as using a hybrid dough to make the crust more bread-like, if that's what you prefer, then by all means do it, but it would make the pie less authentic.

Nice pie, Moose! You had me until you added the extra mozzarella on top :-D

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the crust recipe but it looks right. Most of the deep dish places around here put a little olive oil in the pan before adding the dough. That let's the crust fry a little as it cook and give it a crispy bottom. I don't know if your recipe called for that or not.

As far as using a hybrid dough to make the crust more bread-like, if that's what you prefer, then by all means do it, but it would make the pie less authentic.

Thanks, Ron! Yes, the recipe called for oiling the pan before putting the dough in. I already lost authenticity points for cooking the pie in a cast iron skillet, not to mention the sausage pre-cooked and of course, the mozzarella. I'll be ordering a pan soon designed specifically for Chicago style pizza, though.

The pizza places don't use CI, but I'm sure that's mostly because of the cost of CI pans and the weight. I didn't deduct points for that or the sausage :-D

good looking chicago pie, i always cook my sausage first when doing this style also, even though traditionally it goes in raw, just cant accept the danger of it not cooking

Back