THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

big_weight

Got Wood.
This is 4th cook on Lone Star Grillz Insulated Vertical Cabinet.

Set Guru for 225. Cooking with water.

When at temp at 6 pm loaded 3 racks of baby backs, two 9 lb pork butts and one 12 lb (trimmed weight) brisket. 4.5 hours later, guru shows brisket at 167 and pork butts at 167 and 164. I would have guessed that these cook times are physically impossible.

I didn't believe it, so I checked with Thermapen. ITs confirmed.

Figured that grill temp was off, so I put Maverick probe in.

Just checked, guru shows 230, and Maverick shows 239.

I started at 6pm as I was counting on 12-15 hour cook times that I saw with Vision Kamado.

If I continue to see such short cook times, really going to change start times.

Any reason the LSG would cook some much quicker than Kamado?

BTW, I wrapped brisket in pink butcher paper since I normally do at around 160-170. I did not see the dark, rich bark I normally see.

I still don't believe my lying eyes. We'll see how long it takes for brisket to probe tender.

You were in stall territory at the time of your OP. Don't get too far ahead of yourself. The Lone Star cabinet does not cook any faster than anything else. I would bet you are still a long way from probe tender right now, three hours later.

At 225 with water you won't see dark bark for 8-9 hours.

I'm with cheez. It'll even out. You are probably moving more air thru the LSG than the ceramic but that's not going to change it more than maybe an hour.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Cheez was right

So I pulled the pork butts at 3am after 9 hours. Both were bone-in, and bones turned loose.

Brisket went to 10.5 hours, and probed tender, so I pulled at 430am, let it stand for 15 minutes, then into cooler, and I went back to sleep.

Really had me confused, and I clearly wrapped it too soon. When I posted, I figured stall was over, based on IT.

Maybe I should cook at 300 using Bludawg's method to power right through the stall.

Thanks for your replies.

Nothing wrong with your temps if you have time. The stall is where the magic happens.

I don't pay attention to temps at all with butts, briskets or ribs. I foil based on color and then cook until tender.

good to hear it all worked out. going bludawg makes things a little easier and, depending on serving time, may eliminate any overnight cooks.

My LSG IVC has always seemed to cook faster than my offset at supposed "same temps" too. But like I said, sometimes I don't see the color and bark I'm looking for at specific temperatures so I've had to just leave them on until I get the desired color and Bark. I've gotten to where I don't really wrap much while it's still in the cabinet. I keep it on the smoke as long as I can and then wrap and finish in the oven or for a long hold at 170.

Big Swole, good to know that your IVC also cooks faster than your other smokers, which is definitely what I am seeing.

I have been using IT only to determine when to wrap brisket, as I don't wrap pork butts. I have gotten the message on ignoring IT to determine when done.

To all, thanks for all your help.

Back