THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
If I cook two identical briskets, one at 280°F and the other at 220°F, the brisket cooked hotter will get done faster than the brisket cooked cooler. Of course.

But what about the internal temp at which each brisket will be done? Will each of the two identical briskets probe tender at, say, 203°F, one sooner than the other of course, or will the brisket cooked at 280°F be done at, say, 210°F internal while the brisket cooked at 220°F is done at, say, 195°F internal?

Put this another way. All other things being equal, will a big piece of meat cooked low and slow probe tender at a lower temp than one cooked hotter and faster?

I see lots of contradictory info floating around about this and have never kept good enough records to have any sense of it myself. Hence the question for the experts here among the brethren.

My personal experience tells me that cooking at hotter temps will lead to a higher "done" temp. While every cow is different, and there is no single target temp for a brisket. The higher cooking temps for me have always resulted in a finished temp (in thickest part of the flat) that is well over 205F. Typically 210-215F before the flat probes tender when cooking at 300F-325F. While I've never attempted a brisket at 225F, I've seen literally hundreds of posts where people say their low n slow brisket was probe tender at below 200F.

My personal experience tells me that cooking at hotter temps will lead to a higher "done" temp. While every cow is different, and there is no single target temp for a brisket. The higher cooking temps for me have always resulted in a finished temp (in thickest part of the flat) that is well over 205F. Typically 210-215F before the flat probes tender when cooking at 300F-325F. While I've never attempted a brisket at 225F, I've seen literally hundreds of posts where people say their low n slow brisket was probe tender at below 200F.

This is my experience as well. If you think about it, the brisket (or butt, or ribs) is done when the internal fat and connective tissues are rendered. On a lower temp cook, the inter fat has more time to render, so will be complete at a lower internal temp. On a hot cook, the rendering time is shorter, so it takes a higher internal temp to complete.

The biggest challenge is combining STL hot and fast, with KC's low and slow (and every other region's respective biggest claims-to-fame).

It CAN be done. I can't see a way without involving wrapping, though, to get the same tenderness.

Getting a good smoke ring seems the hardest part about this whole idea, to me...

Back