Mojo Criollo

Cut a pork loin into cubes. Put in Zip-Loc with mojo and some dark rum. Refrigerate overnight. Put on skewers and grill. Or smoke. It's a great marinade for chicken as well. (Pronounced moho). Mmmmmmojo....

I bought some Chipotle Mojo while in Florida last week. Was planning to use it on some chops, but I like the skewers idea.

WTF? How did that pot pie picture get on there. Mods, can you delete that pic from this post?

Attachments

• floridasauces (Medium).jpg
    floridasauces (Medium).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 419
Last edited by a moderator:
In a shameless plug for an article I wrote on mojo's last December called I've Got my Mojo Workin', here is the "in a nutshell" version. If you can get the sour orange juice, the rest is easy.

65503c53.jpg

Sour Orange Mojo
  • 6 to 10 cloves of garlic.
  • 4 or 5 green onions or 1 red onion.
  • Several tablespoons of olive oil.
  • 1 tablespoon salt.
  • 1 teaspoon crushed pepper, or to taste.
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
  • 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano.
  • Dried peppers like scotch bonnet or red chili flakes to taste.
  • 1 cup sour orange juice.
Optional ingredients include:
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • Curry powder to taste will make a West Indies flavor
  • 2 tomatillos, roasted, cored and crushed will make a mojo verde
  • 1 jalapeno, cored and crushed instead of the dried peppers
In a molcajete or your mortar, smash the garlic, onion, peppers, salt, spices and any optional ingredients into a coarse paste. Warm the olive oil to medium heat. Pour the oil over the paste and let sit a few minutes then transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl (this step is critical). Wisk in the orange juice and vinegar (if used). Adjust the level of black pepper and salt.

For marinating I like to use a zipper bag adding the meat first and enough mojo to coat nicely. If any mojo remains, add it to some chicken breasts or pork chops and freeze in zipper bags, then you have a head start on your next meal. Marinating times are an hour or two for chicken pieces, three hours for leg quarters, three or four hours for pork chops or flank steak and five hours to overnight for pork roasts. Experiment with the times to suit your tastes.

I've Got my Mojo Workin'[/URL],

Muddy would be proud;
great post and recipes!
Goya es muy bueno.
McKinley Morganfield.

I use it on my chicken after a brine. The chicken, not me.

I think I need to deglaze. Where's that brandy?

Mop some mojo ... or moho ... on your product .... either way .... agua frio, por favor!! Or pour some on your pot pie! Ay, Caramba! Back to my steak on the BarBee .... getting too Emeril or Alton for me today ! :rolleyes::biggrin:

I've been using the Goya Mojo for a while and I gotta be honest-it ain't floatin' my boat, I've injected picnics, loin roasts, chicken, thighs and marinated&injected and I'm just not feeling it! I think it smells great, but I guess I'm expecting more from it? The Caribe grocer carries a couple other brands but he said they were all the same. I see you have the Chipotle, which they were out of the last time I stopped in. I'm not giving up on it but I'm going to have to make it fresh.

Mojo is real popular down here and it is kind of subtle, but I like it. I usually add some crushed fresh garlic. Pork loin is my meat of choice with it.

I've only tried the chipotle mojo once but it was way kicked up and very good. Not really the same though. I like it both ways.

my friend uses it with his Food saver quick marinator you can really taste the flavor more ------- I like chipotle mojo too

drbbq said:
Mojo is real popular down here and it is kind of subtle, but I like it. I usually add some crushed fresh garlic. Pork loin is my meat of choice with it.
drbbq (Ray) .... I'd enjoy a bit more detail on how you use it with pork loin. After multiple cooks of your terrific Peachy Stuffed Pork Chops I am ready for some variation. :mrgreen:

Regards
Tom B

Q_Egg said:
drbbq (Ray) .... I'd enjoy a bit more detail on how you use it with pork loin. After multiple cooks of your terrific Peachy Stuffed Pork Chops I am ready for some variation. :mrgreen:

Regards
Tom B

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the nice words. I take a 6"-8" long piece of boneless pork loin, cut a few slashes in it all around, not too deep and put it in a zip loc bag. Then mix the mojo with 3-4 cloves of crushed fresh garlic and a little salt. Pour that in the bag and refrigerate for 2-3 days. Grill and cook to 140. Wrap in foil and rest. Now sometimes I'll eat it but usually I'll refrigerate it to make Cuban sandwiches later. For the Cubans, slice the roast thinly and layer it with some ham, swiss cheese and pickles on Cuban bread and press the sandwiches. I just use a bacon press in a skillet.

I use MOJO all the time, I started making my own. The base is one frozen can orange concentrate and one lemon concentrate. From there I add the spices. I use it just as I would a brine without all the salt and sugar. Just read the ingredients list on the bottle and take it from there.

drbbq said:
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the nice words. I take a 6"-8" long piece of boneless pork loin, cut a few slashes in it all around, not too deep and put it in a zip loc bag. Then mix the mojo with 3-4 cloves of crushed fresh garlic and a little salt. Pour that in the bag and refrigerate for 2-3 days. Grill and cook to 140. Wrap in foil and rest. Now sometimes I'll eat it but usually I'll refrigerate it to make Cuban sandwiches later. For the Cubans, slice the roast thinly and layer it with some ham, swiss cheese and pickles on Cuban bread and press the sandwiches. I just use a bacon press in a skillet.

Priceless stuff !! I appreciate these proven 'nuggets' more than you may know.

Best regards,
Tom B

tony76248 said:
I use MOJO all the time, I started making my own. The base is one frozen can orange concentrate and one lemon concentrate. From there I add the spices. I use it just as I would a brine without all the salt and sugar. Just read the ingredients list on the bottle and take it from there.

That might be good but it's really not the base for the authentic stuff. The Cubans use sour oranges which is unlike anything else and quite tart. The bottled stuff is toned down but not very sweet. Besides, those cans of juice probably cost more than the bottle of mojo.

Well, I haven't given up hope yet! Cut up some pork loin into cubes and added fresh squeezed garlic and Mojo and put in the Foodsaver marinator! My daughter wants to grill some things with her friends so I thought the skewer route may be the way to go!

Kicked up Mojo

Great call Doc! I used the last of the Goya Mojo and added the garlic, Cubed and marinated 2 lbs of pork loin and 2 large chicken breasts for 3 days. Skewered and grilled over Mesquite lump on the little Lodge cast iron Hibachi. They turned out fantastic! Even some leftovers for that sammich!
Thanks!
Brian

Well, after reading these posts, I'm going to have to try longer marinade times. I was always afraid that the citrus would have a mushy effect....

I have about 5 bottles of the sour orange frozen.

Back