The gravy thread

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Gravy. That something extra on top.

It is said a gravy is only as good as its roux.

There are many variations of gravy. All are welcome here.

Brown gravy, cream gravy, mushroom, redeye, giblet. The list goes on.

Gravy is a key part of many dishes from chicken fried steak to poutine.

This is a thread for posting recipes, asking for help and recipes, or just show off our gravy topped triumphs.

Back when I got to eat bread: S.O.S. (ship on a shingle) or (cream beef gravy) was one of my favorites. Well done shredded toast or those super cheap 10c can biscuits slathered in butter and burned on the bottom then covered in hamburger gravy.

Damn, them was good times.

I got this crazy idea from this thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240206

Hope you guys dont mind me reposting this here

This is the recipe I use as a guide when doing a beef gravy.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/219091/chef-johns-mushroom-gravy/

The path to righteousness for gravy goes straight through making a roux. If you really want to see people faint, make it in a microwave.

You can adapt this recipe to better suit the beef. Use beef stock in place of turkey, and saute the morels first then add them in. Since the morels are dried, I would rehydrate them in the stock to intensify the flavor..

Roasted Garlic Gravy
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients [/FONT]
1 head garlic (medium-to-large-sized), peeled, stems removed
4 tablespoons brown rice flour
1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon olive oil
2 cups chicken or turkey stock (Use beef if you like)

4 -6 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce or to taste
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
[FONT=&quot]Directions[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Place the garlic cloves in a small oven safe dish or pan and coat them with a teaspoon of oil. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and put it into a preheated 350 degree oven until the outside is golden brown and soft about 25-30 minutes [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Allow the roasted garlic to cool. Then Mash the garlic with a fork and set aside. [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Toast the flour in a medium-sized sauce pan, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant but NOT browned. Vigorously stir in the remaining one tablespoon of oil, and garlic, with a wire whisk and cook for a couple of minutes on low heat, stirring often, making a roux. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Whisk in the stock, soy sauce, and herbs, stirring till fairly smooth (There will probably still be chunks of garlic) Simmer the gravy for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot. If a smoother texture is desired, place the mixture into a blender or food processor (caution! Leave the lid stighly open to allow steam to escape while blending). You may also just strain it through a fine sieve.[/FONT]

The start of our Christmas Gravy , bones,Ox tail and vegetables.

IMG_8497%20Medium_zps69xzojcy.jpg

I'm far from a gravy expert but I've made some pretty good gravy from vegetable, pork, beef and chicken. Oh and I can make some pretty mean biscuits and gravy!

No recipes as it's all in my big brain! :heh: :becky:

Great idea for a thread, Smoke Ninja!

So I got my schooling from Alton Brown. The recipie for his roux is 6 tablespoons of flour to 4 tablespoons of butter (or pan drippings). Pan drippings can add a lot of flavor, and you may not want all of it, particularly if you've done a high temp finish to the roast, which can lead to some unpleasant flavors in the drippings. I stick with butter for making the roux, unless your drippings are nice and clean. Yes, there is a lot of fat to flour...that's what keeps your gravy from becoming lumpy. You're coating the starch granules with fat, and because of that they won't clump up and make lumps. I melt the butter, stir in the flour and than bang that sucker in the microwave. This step is important because you want to cook the flour in the butter so your gravy doesn't taste like raw flour. How you do you know when it's done? Well, when you pull it out it should smell nutty. If so, you're good. Go past that and you play a dangerous game with burning it. Probably will need ~5 mins on high to get there. Whatever you're cooking it in is going to get smokin' hot, so be careful!

The lighter a roux is the less nutty flavor it contributes, but the more thickening power it has. You'll require more dark roux to thicken the same amount of drippings than you will a light roux.

^^^

Very nice.

I usually add about 2 tbl of flour and butter and stir in pan until cooked per cup of liquid.

Ill try more flour next time.

I don't always use a roux. It depends on the meal. Sometimes I just prefer to use the drippins and add beer or stock. If alot of liquid, I'll add paste stock for more flavor. If it's last minute to thicken. I use corn starch/water and not a roux. Much easier for me.

I don't always use a roux. It depends on the meal. Sometimes I just prefer to use the drippins and add beer or stock. If alot of liquid, I'll add paste stock for more flavor. If it's last minute to thicken. I use corn starch/water and not a roux. Much easier for me.

Ah yes. My brother makes gravy this way.

When i try it it's lump city.

But then agsib he's a better cook than me.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/166160/juicy-thanksgiving-turkey/

This is my go to for stock for gravy. I either use chickens or turkey depending on what type of gravy I want. Follow the recipe then strain about 3-4cups of the drippings.

Then I use 4TBS of butter and 1/3cup of flour. Make a really dark roux, then add the 3-4cuos of drippings. Simmer until thick. I have been told by many that this is the best gravy they have had. I think it's from all the herbs and flavors that are added to the turkey or chicken before the cook.

I also strain the extra drippings and freeze them so when I want gravy I have good stock ready to gl

On the Roux,,,,try white rice flour.
no lumps or flour taste.
Can even mix with water easily to make a thickener.

I use it and bacon fat to make a roux :)

Last edited:
Does anyone add Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master to their dark gravies?
Does it help more than the color?
Or is it just a short-cut.

I save all the bones when I do a big batch of smoked pulled chicken and make a really rich stock.

I also do this with the turkey from thanksgiving. Make a stock out of the wings, bones, scraps the day after thanksgiving and freeze it in containers for the next year. That way I can make smoked turkey gravy the day before thanksgiving with last year's stock. Been doing it like that for years. So much easier than farking with the drippings or not having enough. If I have drippings I just de-fat them and throw them in the already made turkey gravy.

It's the stock that makes the gravy good in my opinion.

I save all the bones when I do a big batch of smoked pulled chicken and make a really rich stock.

I also do this with the turkey from thanksgiving. Make a stock out of the wings, bones, scraps the day after thanksgiving and freeze it in containers for the next year. That way I can make smoked turkey gravy the day before thanksgiving with last year's stock. Been doing it like that for years. So much easier than farking with the drippings or not having enough. If I have drippings I just de-fat them and throw them in the already made turkey gravy.

It's the stock that makes the gravy good in my opinion.

Well that stands to reason,,made from all the stuff you want the flavor of !
lot of work doing that especially after a big day when you dont really want to work any more ,but it's worth it.

i have beef stock and bird stock in the freezer also,,easy for me to put it all in a big pot on the wood stove and relax for a day before working more on it.

I also have clam,oyster and lobster stock,,thats easy,,in the warm WX when everybody done put more water in the pot on the out side burner and dump in everything and let it simmer while enjoying a cold beverage after the meal.
that gets simmered down and strained into a container and put in the out side freezer.

then onto the wood stove in the winter to simmer down to the consistency i want and re packaged.

Spatcocked a 20lb turkey on Thanksgiving morning. Put the backbone, wing tips in an aluminum pan with carrots, celery and onion. Stuck that pan under the cook grate in my vertical. After cooling and separating the fat from the broth, the juices in that pan were awesome for gravy. My roux is 50/50 flour to fat (your choice of fat) - so 4tbs fat to 1/4 cup of AP. I've seen here (and elsewhere) variations to that ratio - but it works for me.

Wife BOUGHT gravy for the meal...it's still in the jar in the pantry and won't see the light of day as long as I can make mine.

Back