Whole hog size question?

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
OK, all you whole hog experts, how LONG is a 100-120 pound dressed (head on) whole hog, tail to snout (or "rooter to tooter"). I'm planning ofn a racer style or at least pointing the back legs to the front. The door on my RF is 51" wide. I've cooked a bunch of 65-80 pound hogs and feel I can fit a larger one, but just wanted to check with y'all.

How long was that 65-80lb hog? My grates on my smoker are 33 wide and 36 deep. Would one of those fit on my grate

Building a RF 500 gallon,big door is 44 wide.Was curious what size (LBS.) would fit with head on racer cook?

How long was that 65-80lb hog? My grates on my smoker are 33 wide and 36 deep. Would one of those fit on my grate

Building a RF 500 gallon,big door is 44 wide.Was curious what size (LBS.) would fit with head on racer cook?

These are shots of a custom rack I built for my RF smoker, it is 34-1/2 long. I made it specifically to fit in a 128 quart Igloo boat cooler so I could take the hog to a luncheon, but I've got another 16-17 inches to work with and I'm hoping to get a 100#-120" hog in there.

004_zps227e5de5.jpg

005_zps3f26091a.jpg

Here is a link to the entire cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168127

Willy, I'm thinking you can probably cook at least 2 +80# hogs with the head on in your monster:mrgreen:

Skywalker, I'm thinking you could easily go for a 100#'r with the head on.

Last edited:
Nice pics!Also ,might as well mention i like your list of home builts.Been working on mine for almost a year, getting real close.Just looking ahead for the finish line (reward).Will follow link you posted,to much snow and cold to drag the little Lincoln 225 out today.

Every year we do a 120 to 130 pound hog. We smoke em skin side down/split down the spine with the head on and they fit into the opening a Lang 84. Hope that helps.

Back