THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-PXK5UA80"]Product Review: GrillGrate - YouTube[/ame]

I couldn't wait to get my hands on a set of the GrillGrates! These things are awesome and I believe they will be my new go-to grilling surface... Those sear marks blow away anything I have ever come up with on the cast iron grates....

Thanks for the review. I got the same one as you. I bought mine at the 2010 Eggtoberfest and the owner, Brad, was there showing them off. Great guy. I absolutely love this product and it blows away all my other cast iron grates (I have a Craycort also-also regular ones). Not even close.

I recently added another section to it. Now I have 4 sections and it cover my Weber Q 320 perfectly.

I highly recommend these.

the area between the marks looks gray and boring.

i might have to buy one just to do a taste test. i'm skeptical on the flavor side, i really think that the fat dripping down into the coals is what makes the steak.

i might have to buy one just to do a taste test. i'm skeptical on the flavor side, i really think that the fat dripping down into the coals is what makes the steak.

Actually, the fat drips onto the channels in the grate and is vaporized back into the meat.
Wonderful taste with outstanding appearance.

I LUV my Grill Grates.

TIM

Great review!

Glad you showed them on various grills, because they really do make a difference.

When I first saw them at a comp, I laughed them off as a gimmick, but a guy next to us was grilling stuffed Pork chops direct on a Weber kettle for a side category, I was amazed at the grill marks and how the Grill Grates performed.

Gary's BBQ Supply (bingo) hooked me up with a couple sets and I basically chucked my cast iron grates! I just got the 4pack from the recent Groupon deal and now I have them on the Genesis, Q200, Performer and a BGE. They rock!

I would like to give them a shot on my gas Weber 310. I personally like the way my steaks turn out on my KJ. No room for improvement there.

Last edited:
Gary's BBQ Supply (bingo) hooked me up with a couple sets and I basically chucked my cast iron grates! I just got the 4pack from the recent Groupon deal and now I have them on the Genesis, Q200, Performer and a BGE. They rock!

My cast iron grates for the Weber Kettle are probably going to find a new home...

I use mine for fish. Really like the way the grillgrates keep the delicate fish from falling through the cooking grates. The special spatula lifts the fish with out breaking it apart.

I use the flat side too for pita bread and tortillas. :thumb:

The fork spatula will let you scrape a good bit of the 'crud' out of the channels, but what I'll be doing is that and also letting the grill run up to about 600 degrees when the cook is finished to simply burn it out...

I like using them on my Weber kettle for reverse searing. You can set up a fairly low-temp fire to slowly bring a steak up to about 15 or 20 degrees below desired serving temp using indirect heating with your meat on the grill's cooking grate, then do a quick sear on the GrillGrates set up over the fire. Note that you'll need less searing time over the GrillGrates than you're used to if you've done the reverse sear before. (For a 130 medium rare steak I've been pulling off indirect at about 110 internal then about 60 second GrillGrate sear on each side and check temp).

I'm with Cowgirl, the backside is also great for getting a flat sear on burgers for a nice, even brownness. Last batch I made I even low and slow'd my burgers with a probe in them before searing!

Last neat trick from the GrillGrates site: Spray down your hot GrillGrates with a spray bottle to instantly steam-clean and sanitize.

I agree with Troy. The grill marks look phenomenal, but not digging the greyish color of the rest of the meat. I'm assuming that has something to do with the grill grate itself. I rather have more color on my steaks and sacrifice the grill marks. I bet their is a way to get more color onto the steak?? The grill grate intrigues me but I'm still skeptical.

Mine are never grayish, but the perfect color. I'm assuming it is his camera. If someone is still skeptical after the dozens and dozens of threads praising the GrillGrates (from those who actually own one), then maybe you shouldn't buy one.

Mine are never grayish, but the perfect color. I'm assuming it is his camera. If someone is still skeptical after the dozens and dozens of threads praising the GrillGrates (from those who actually own one), then maybe you shouldn't buy one.

You are wrong in assuming that I've read dozens and dozens of those threads.

I agree with Troy. The grill marks look phenomenal, but not digging the greyish color of the rest of the meat. I'm assuming that has something to do with the grill grate itself. I rather have more color on my steaks and sacrifice the grill marks. I bet their is a way to get more color onto the steak?? The grill grate intrigues me but I'm still skeptical.

See my previous comment -- starting with indirect cooking and then a reverse sear takes care of this. I suppose you could also pre-sear and then indirect cook up to temp, but I haven't done that with my own GGs yet.

Great vid!

Back