THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mine are never grayish, but the perfect color. I'm assuming it is his camera. If someone is still skeptical after the dozens and dozens of threads praising the GrillGrates (from those who actually own one), then maybe you shouldn't buy one.

i rely on a lot more than reviews, and it's not because I don't trust you or the others :)

I've read hundreds and hundreds of recipes and reviews on beer can chicken being magically amazing - yet i know that the method has absolutely no positive effect.

I am naturally a skeptic, and I apologize for that.
I love food, and food science. I love exploring methods, techniques, equipments, and myths. I will buy these grill grates if no one will loan me one. I'll test it, and if I find that it does rock - i'll tell everyone.
If i find that it sucks, i'll tell everyone.

so Cast Iron Grates are now * a thing of the past, I don't know. I like your review and it appears others agree, I am just not sold on them. What can these do other than cost money for something that Cast does as well, if used properly?

For all of you that are throwing your CI to the side, I would be happy to take it off your hands... Thanks JM!

so Cast Iron Grates are now * a thing of the past, I don't know. I like your review and it appears others agree, I am just not sold on them. What can these do other than cost money for something that Cast does as well, if used properly?

Cast iron isn't a thing of the past. I still believe it's the best standard grilling surface out there. If they are maintained properly, they will last a lifetime and they do produce good grill marks.

I believe the GrillGrate not only produces better grill marks but it also produces a more even heating surface. Depending on what kind of grill you are cooking on, the GrillGrate also minimizes and attenuates flare-ups that can over-char your meat. They obviously aren't for everyone. No argument there. I just believe that in my grill cooking, this grilling surface will out perform what I have been using in the past.

You guys are getting me in trouble with the boss. When I see all the great items on here she says do you really need another thing for your grills:roll:, to which I reply it's a must have. But she really enjoys the food I cook for her so I guess I will keep her.

I love mine and they are truly my go to grilling surface. Cleaning is not that much of a PITA if you saok them in hot soapy water for about an hour. The crud just comes with very little effort.

I will buy these grill grates if no one will loan me one. I'll test it, and if I find that it does rock - i'll tell everyone.
If i find that it sucks, i'll tell everyone.
:clap: How reviews should be done.:-D

I just ordered a set of 4 GrillGrates. I'll cut the corners of two of the sheets for my Kamado and use all 4 on my gasser. Looking forward to trying these baby's.

Thanks for the review. :thumb:

They seem a little "As seen on tv"-ish to me. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they aluminum?

I thought that, too, but took advantage of the really good Groupon deal earlier this month. Here's what I can say, in my very limited experience.

Built well. Light weight because of the material but not at all un-sturdy.

Highly effective at collecting heat and transferring it up to the top rails.

As far as care and maintenance, think along the lines of cast iron. You want them to get dirty, black, and seasoned. Cleaning (insofar as stuck-on particles and sanitary cooking surface) is easily done if you put them on while your grill is heating up if you use a grill brush with a pad and steam-sterilize with a spray bottle.

I don't think of GGs as a "replacement" grilling surface. Maybe time and experience would change my mind, but I'd probably use them as a way to amplify the ability of a lower-temp fire to also sear. So apart from a kettle or even a propane cooker, I'd imagine that any smoker (offset, reverse flow, komodo) would really benefit from an instant "hot side".

Haven't done fish of any kind on my GGs yet but that might be a time when I'd grill exclusively over GGs instead of using them just as a searing tool.

You can cut down your sear time quite a bit when using GGs. My old method for Weber kettle rib eyes was this: 2 min sear at 10 o'clock orientation, then 2 min at 2 o'clock (to get diamond grill marks), flip for another 2 min sear, then move to indirect heat for 2 to 5 min of indirect cooking to get to 130-135 medium rare. With GGs, I can expect to cut that sear time from 2 min in each orientation to a minute or maybe 45 sec. They get that hot.

Using GGs gains you the advantage of diffused heat, like a diffuser plate. But the trade off is you loose the vaporized fat drippings that go into the fire. Pick your poison.

Probably wouldn't use on a UDS because it's already so easy to make those things go turbo for searing by just taking off the lid and moving meat from the outside of the grate to the middle. You often don't even need to open the bottom vents. But again, I haven't tried that yet.

My 2 cents (okay, about 44 cents) :becky:

Back