Chef's Choice/Anything Butt Pig Candy/Shrimp at a non-sanctioned event

Crash

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Our state's 4th annual Up In Smoke event is coming up this weekend. Like the title says, it's non-sanctioned.

I'm looking for any advice or suggestions on cooking 4/6 de-shelled shrimp (the huge ones) wrapped in pig candy. Has anyone tried it, done it or nailed it?

My first thoughts are to pre-cook the pig candy so that it is still pliable. Then, I thought that wrapping each shrimp in a piece of bacon tightly and onto a fairly hot (275-300) smoker with apple wood might get me what I want.

What I'm really looking for is perfectly cooked shrimp, with pig candy that holds firm to the shrimp.

An after glaze of something honey has crossed my mind, but I'll defer to the Brethren for advice.

Thanks in advance.

BBQ sauce works great on baon wrapped. I'd partly cook bacon. 400 f grill with wood chunks.

P.s. if its open garnish serve over a sliced heirloom tomato with a slice of grilled onion. One of my all time favorites served at the steal house in the Marriott sand key in Clearwater beach. Had them for our wedding dinner

Last edited:
Put an egg white in any marinade you choose to season your shrimp. Keep them moist and gives a bit of crunch.

We use thin bacon as it cooks faster and not over-cook the shrimp. It also lets more shrimp flavor come thru.

wallace

I think your correct in needing to get the pig candy almost done but still pliable, other wise, the shrimp will be over cooked.

If that don't work I guess you could make them like stuffed shrimp Nacho's with pieces of the pig candy for your chips, with the shrimp on top.

your mileage of course may vary.

Crash, what if you wrap the shrimp with partially cooked bacon, cook it on the grill to finish the bacon and cook the shrimp and then sprinkle on the sugar / rub? Once you sprinkle it on you could use a propane torch and give it the same treatment you would creme brulee. I've never done it but in theory I think it would work.

Crash, what if you wrap the shrimp with partially cooked bacon, cook it on the grill to finish the bacon and cook the shrimp and then sprinkle on the sugar / rub? Once you sprinkle it on you could use a propane torch and give it the same treatment you would creme brulee. I've never done it but in theory I think it would work.
Good thought, and perfectly legal for this competition. Thanks dude.

Back