Need advice - non-sanctioned event in Hawaii

Now that we are 5 short days out on this, I need to again ask for more advice from the Brethren.

It turns out that the "rules" have been modified. The 5 categories remain the same (Chicken, Pork, Beef, Anything Goes and Fish) but the turn in time has now moved up from 2pm - 2:35pm to 12:45pm to 1pm....WTF?

Our window has narrowed, but not so much that we cant succesfully complete 4 out 5 of our planned entries. The one category that we are trying to figure out is Beef. We had planned to do a High Heat Choice brisket flat on site, but our 6:30am same day load in time has pushed this timetable to a risky situation.

So here's the question? Is it possible to pre-cook a flat or packer partially ( to like 180ish), then FoodSaver it, chill it and resume cooking once we get on site? This might be a completely idiotic question, but I'd like to hear what you all would do.

We're pretty sold on doing a brisket, so another beef isn't an option. The main reason that we are doing a brisket is because 25% of the contestants scores are based on People's Choice.....and we have ton of very good FoodSaver brisket ready to go. They were practice briskets over the past two weeks and strategically we are hoping that the other teams run out of PC before we do.

I can now honestly say that I miss KCBS and IBCA competitions. So much easier to work with.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Please......

It is done all the time
There are teams on the IBCA circuit cooking their flats on Friday night
then into a preheated cambro
Heading to the hotel good night sleep then back to the contest to cook
yardbird and spares on saturday 12 plus hours of hold time

The one category that we are trying to figure out is Beef. We had planned to do a High Heat Choice brisket flat on site, but our 6:30am same day load in time has pushed this timetable to a risky situation.

We're pretty sold on doing a brisket, so another beef isn't an option. The main reason that we are doing a brisket is because 25% of the contestants scores are based on People's Choice.....and we have ton of very good FoodSaver brisket ready to go. They were practice briskets over the past two weeks and strategically we are hoping that the other teams run out of PC before we do.

This seems like a pretty big gamble to me for several reasons.

Do you already have a good feel for how many people will turn out for the PC tasting and voting? It would seem very possible that your team may be the only one or one of only a few attempting to serve brisket in that category.

I've only spent a small amount of time on the islands, but I don't recall ever seeing a brisket sandwhich or brisket dinner plate on the menu of any place we dined.

Are you confident that your judges and your PC crowd are going to have the appreciation for a well smoked brisket that you'd expect to find at a KCBS or an IBCA comp?

I wouldn't be surprised if a pretty good % of both the judges and for sure the PC crowd have never even had beef brisket, and they may be pre-disposed to looking for some kind of fire grilled steak with flavors that they are used to.

I hate to generalize, but I can envision a PC taster picking up a piece of brisket and wondering what the heck it is, then eyeballing the next team over who has segments of nice juicy grilled ribeye that has been soaking in pineapple and guava marinate and dashing over to grab a piece. . .

Just sayin'

Tough

It is a tall order to do all that during a one day contest. I'd rethink some of the logistics for the contest. I was very impressed by the BBQ I got on the Big Island last November. I'd also go over to Hilo for the 4th of July weekend and take a look at the IBCA sanctioned contest there. They need a proclamation and 15 teams for the winner of that contest to have a date in Tennessee in October.

It is done all the time
There are teams on the IBCA circuit cooking their flats on Friday night
then into a preheated cambro
Heading to the hotel good night sleep then back to the contest to cook
yardbird and spares on saturday 12 plus hours of hold time
Thanks for the good advice Thom, I appreciate it. Duly noted!

I think we'll be rolling with this plan.

This seems like a pretty big gamble to me for several reasons.

Do you already have a good feel for how many people will turn out for the PC tasting and voting? It would seem very possible that your team may be the only one or one of only a few attempting to serve brisket in that category.

I've only spent a small amount of time on the islands, but I don't recall ever seeing a brisket sandwhich or brisket dinner plate on the menu of any place we dined.

Are you confident that your judges and your PC crowd are going to have the appreciation for a well smoked brisket that you'd expect to find at a KCBS or an IBCA comp?

I wouldn't be surprised if a pretty good % of both the judges and for sure the PC crowd have never even had beef brisket, and they may be pre-disposed to looking for some kind of fire grilled steak with flavors that they are used to.

I hate to generalize, but I can envision a PC taster picking up a piece of brisket and wondering what the heck it is, then eyeballing the next team over who has segments of nice juicy grilled ribeye that has been soaking in pineapple and guava marinate and dashing over to grab a piece. . .

Just sayin'

100% agreed..it's a huge gamble. Last year there was (allegedly) 5k in attendance. This year it is in conjunction with our 50th State Fair. You arre correct, brisket isn't a staple here but it does have followers and the locals really do like a new taste on smoked meats.

I'm confident that this will work for us, but you bring up valid points. I'll let you know how it works out for us after the smoke has cleared.

Thanks dude, I appreciate your input.

The smoke has cleared and this event is Pau (finished). Thank you to everyone who offered input and advice, it is always appreciated. The Brethren are a great group and always willing to assist another.

Thanks Wes (RangerJ) for that last minute PM on the brisket advice. It worked.....almost perfectly. Your timing was impeccable.

Overall this was a very well run event, and we'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Back