THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash

is Blowin Smoke!
Looking for any advice or suggestions on cooking 4/6 de-shelled shrimp (the huge ones) wrapped in pig candy. Has anyone tried it, done it or nailed it?

My first thoughts are to pre-cook the pig candy so that it is still pliable. Then, I thought that wrapping each shrimp in a piece of bacon tightly and onto a fairly hot (275-300) smoker with apple wood might get me what I want.

What I'm really looking for is perfectly cooked shrimp, with pig candy that holds firm to the shrimp.

An after glaze of something honey has crossed my mind, but I'll defer to the Brethren for advice.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like an amazingly good idea. I'd probably do what you're thinking; pre-cook the pig candy until just before done and then wrap the shrimp because they'll cook in a bout 5 minutes.

Equal parts sugar and ketchup make a great glaze for those shrimp wrapped in bacon. I also pre cook the bacon so you don't over cook the shrimp and/or have bacon that's 1/2 cooked.

Try stretching room temp bacon with your knife blade at an angle, applying light pressure, working from the center of the bacon strip out on both ends. You will get the hang of it quick & +- doubles the length of the bacon & it will cook quicker also.

ribs-abts-onion002.jpg

We have competed with these U4 shrimp many times. It is necessary to par cook the bacon prior to wrap. Also use thin bacon. This not only allows the shrimp and bacon to be cooked at the same time, but also will not overpower the shrimp with bacon flavor. A good option for a finishing glaze is a commercial fruit/pepper product.

We did this for a tailgate last season. We did the shrimp in some sort of salt, pepper, oil marinade, and then wrapped the bacon. Didn't even worry about precooking the bacon, though it wasn't super crispy.

We've done them before at home and smothered in whatever BBQ sauce of your choice.

for the glaze.. Garnaal's Tex-Mex-Jap sauce ?

mix:
1 sachet Taco Spices,
Cayenne pepper to taste,
1 Tblsp Chili powder,
2 Tblsp dark brown packed sugar,
pour in Rice/Sushi Vinegar and mix until you have the desired smooth consistancy...

and don't forget - keep tasting and spicing until you like it..

Try stretching room temp bacon with your knife blade at an angle, applying light pressure, working from the center of the bacon strip out on both ends. You will get the hang of it quick & +- doubles the length of the bacon & it will cook quicker also.

ribs-abts-onion002.jpg

Great idea.....thanks for the tip.

We have competed with these U4 shrimp many times. It is necessary to par cook the bacon prior to wrap. Also use thin bacon. This not only allows the shrimp and bacon to be cooked at the same time, but also will not overpower the shrimp with bacon flavor. A good option for a finishing glaze is a commercial fruit/pepper product.

How did they do in competition? We'll actually be turning this in for the Chef's Choice portion of a competiton this weekend.

I have won seafood or open division several times with these. If you really want to be creative, we have drilled and stuffed the shrimp with a jalapeno sausage based forced meat product. There is a lot of prep involved but the taste and presentation are incredible. I wont bore you with the details, if you want more info please pm.

I have won seafood or open division several times with these. If you really want to be creative, we have drilled and stuffed the shrimp with a jalapeno sausage based forced meat product. There is a lot of prep involved but the taste and presentation are incredible. I wont bore you with the details, if you want more info please pm.

I'd like to be bored with the details. This sounds amazing!

keep it easy. lightly season the shrimps with old bay or any all purpose season. precook bacon until slightly crisp-wrap around the shrimps and grill. once the shrimps turn pink, pull them off.
You can also glaze them with bbq sauce right before removing from the grill.
don't overcook-definitely no longer than 5 min. 2 min on each side will prob be good.

Maybe use the local flavors on the pig candy or the finishing glaze- shoyu, ginger, garlic, honey/brown sugar, chilis, etc . Maybe even kiawe wood in the fire.

Next time I'm on the island I'm gonna pop in for a coupla' few of these things.... :mrgreen:

Back