Problem: Pork Loin Came Out Tough - Why?

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I did a 6lbs. bacon wrapped pork loin (whole)......cooked at 250 degrees on my Lang.

At 150 i.t., I wrapped it in foil with some brown sugar and apple juice, and continued cooking for about another hour.

I let it rest for 45 minutes, then sliced it. The pork loin was edible, no doubt, but far from tender.

I did one similar to this a while back and it was "cut it with a fork tender". I remember cooking it to 163, then foiling it for an hour....and it was so tender.

All the posts I see tell me to cook to 150 and pull it off. So, am I over cooking it? Can't figure out why the first one came out so tender (at about 170 i.t.)

I appreciate your advice.

I always cook pork loin to no more than 155. I go to 160 to 170 for chops if there is a bone in them. The problem with slow cooking loin like a shoulder is that it is so lean. In fact, some who cook whole hog sacrifice some boneless shoulders by putting them under and over the loin of the hog when they BBQ it to prevent the loin from over cooking and drying out.

The USDA says you can cook pork to 145 F internal and its safe to eat.

I think it was overcooked. Had you taken it further along, until it became probe tender, possibly at temps as high as 180 or higher (rough estimate), then it may have become tender (up for debate). However, I've never cooked a pork loin that way. I take them to 140-145 personally.

Pork loin is another meat I do not cook "low and slow." I have never had success cooking a lean meat like that at 250. On the other hand, i have had great success cooking it at 350-plus indirect heat on my Weber kettle until it reached an IT of about 145. Then I let it rest, off the heat.

At 350 on the Weber, it cooks pretty fast, but it comes out tender and full of juices. I just have better results with lean white meats when I go hot and fast.

I won a throwdown with this one...

picture.php

CD

Sounds overcooked... smoke it to 140 - wrap, rest, and let the temp creep to 145.

Dang! Ok, thanks guys.... from now on.... it's 350 degrees......and pulled at 145!!! This is really good news because I will cook my whole chickens at the same time! :)

Dang! Ok, thanks guys.... from now on.... it's 350 degrees......and pulled at 145!!! This is really good news because I will cook my whole chickens at the same time! :)

Just curious... are you cooking off the box or the offset?
[Never had a Chargriller myself... just the offsets]

Just curious... are you cooking off the box or the offset?
[Never had a Chargriller myself... just the offsets]

I'm cooking on the Lang offset smoker..... hickory wood. It'll be a little harder to hold 350 degrees in the winter than it was to hold 250....but it can be done. :)

I don't think it is you. You just got one of those North Carolina racing pigs.

I did a 6lbs. bacon wrapped pork loin (whole)......cooked at 250 degrees on my Lang.

At 150 i.t., I wrapped it in foil....

This is when you should have pulled it. Also pork loin doesn't need much of a rest, there is very little fat, therefore very little juices to redistribute.

Pull it at 150, slice and eat.

---whistle--- ---flag on the play---

Here we go again?
If you go the the Q-Talk Roadmap, Post #4 is about Loins. The first link listed there is one where our famous brother willkat98 posts his method. I believe he even refers to it as a modified ... wait for it... cook like brisket method.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97074&postcount=10
At around 240,
Pork loin on low (2 slats above water) rack with butt, will hit 165 in about 3 hours, wrap in foil take to 190 (another hour) out and in the cooler.

Eat the pork loin, its been 3 hours since you coolered it.

(I heavily edited, so please refer to the original thread for all the details.)

.... I just got an idea for the current Throwdown. I just wish I was going to be home this weekend. Dang.

Here we go again?
If you go the the Q-Talk Roadmap, Post #4 is about Loins. The first link listed there is one where our famous brother willkat98 posts his method. I believe he even refers to it as a modified ... wait for it... cook like brisket method.

.... I just got an idea for the current Throwdown. I just wish I was going to be home this weekend. Dang.

Interesting. I've never cooked pork loin past 165.
May need to experiment, they are cheap enough.

I definitely shoot for 145F internal. I've had good luck treating a loin like I do ribs- rub and wrap overnight before cooking. I tried some other injections and methods (haven't brined), but this turned out the best. Loin, to me, doesn't have a ton of flavor. Rubbing overnight seems to give it some, and (I think) the celery seed in my rub lightly cures the loin so that you get a pink, hammy color throughout. I also go for hot cooking in order to get some browning on the outside.

Here we go again?

Honestly, after the "Cook Tri-Tip Like Brisket" thread and the "Cook Brisket Like Tri-Tip" thread, I'm not at all surprised it can be done and turn out good.

I have a theory that any cut of meat cooked past the "well done" phase will get tough and dry, but will get tender and juicy again at higher temps (like brisket) where the connective tissues break down and the muscle fibers start to "fall apart".

This would explain why the OP's first loin turned out so good as described.

The real question is, which method is better for the cut of meat you are cooking? That could very well boil down to personal preference, and there might not be just one answer.

Are you suggesting we cook Pork Loin like Brisket?:doh: For fark's sake people!:mad:

NOT ME! Blame brother willkat! :p

Honestly, after the "Cook Tri-Tip Like Brisket" thread and the "Cook Brisket Like Tri-Tip" thread, I'm not at all surprised it can be done and turn out good.

I have a theory that any cut of meat cooked past the "well done" phase will get tough and dry, but will get tender and juicy again at higher temps (like brisket) where the connective tissues break down and the muscle fibers start to "fall apart".

This would explain why the OP's first loin turned out so good as described.

The real question is, which method is better for the cut of meat you are cooking? That could very well boil down to personal preference, and there might not be just one answer.

Yes, you posted similar thoughts in another thread. That was echoing through my head as I typed. I guess you're right, but I haven't done it myself so I can't say for sure.

i have done it many ways and the only key is dont over cook it. i have foiled, not foiled, brined, not brined, (i like the additional flavor a well built brine can impart) stuffed, rolled, low temps, high temps, yadda yadda yadda. just dont over cook it. 145-155 imo is a nice window and will yield a nice cut of swine.

loin imo is one of the most versatile and forgiving cuts out there as well as affordable for feeding a crowd. definately a go to cut for parties.

I do them just shy of 145 during the rest carry over heat will bring it up to 145.

Back