Prime Rib Dry Aging

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Looking forward to smoking my first prime rib in a couple of weeks. Some people recommend dry aging the prime for 4-6 days in the frige prior to smoking. Others put on a rub and let it smoke and dismiss the dry aging step.

With the experience on this list I wanted to see what all of you recommend or what has been successful for you when smoking prime rib. Thanks in advance.

Bossman

Prime rib is a no-brainer to fix. The only way you can screw it up is to burn it up. Rib roasts are made from support muscles and can take heat up to 500 degrees without getting tough. They are also pretty flavorful but not too strong. Any spice you use will also be well received. They are good with fancy rubs or just chili powder. I have eaten them aged and fresh and cannot tell much difference. I usually recommend that newbies do a prime rib first because it is so difficult to mess up, and you want the family to have a good experience on your first cook off. If you use brisket or ribs for the first cook off your family may never want you to BBQ again. Be sure to keep the firebox hot till after the slices are served. Prime ribs are well done on the ends and rare near the middle. If the slice is too rare for your guest you can plop the slice on a grill in the firebox to raise it closer to well done. Some people really like the slices finished off on the grill. I wouldn't worry about how you fix it. Pay attention to the fire and you will have a great meal regardless of how you prepared it.

Dry aging is difficult. You need temp and humidity control . Wet aging is a no brainer. Keep the meat in an unopened cryovac for 30 -45 days. keep it on the bottom shelf. Turn the meat over every day so that one side does not stay soaked in the blood.

Back