How Many Times Have You ...

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
burned yourself ... seems like every time I cook here lately I'm bumping the side with my hand, grabbing something that's been too close to the grill, or leaving the hood down and the gas on for too long before I opened it to lite up the gasser (yes I lost all my arm hair)

I've never burned myself, but it seems the last few months I burn myself damn near every cook.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1910897 said:
Are you cooking in the dark? :twisted:

Actually ... here lately I have been. It's getting darker earlier, so maybe that can be my excuse.

I have no excuse for almost burning my entire body. I was just being a bonehead that time.

burned yourself ... seems like every time I cook here lately I'm bumping the side with my hand, grabbing something that's been too close to the grill, or leaving the hood down and the gas on for too long before I opened it to lite up the gasser (yes I lost all my arm hair)

I've never burned myself, but it seems the last few months I burn myself damn near every cook.

It only hurts the first couple a times.

You'll learn. :thumb:

I rarely burn myself on my ceramic grill, but my Weber One Touch and Smokey Joe, now that's a different matter. You really have to be careful around those suckers, heck I have even burned the back of my calf when I backed into the Smokey Joe :icon_blush: Damn wobbly pops. :laugh:

Plenty of times here. Bad thing with insulated smokers is you get to thinking that nothing is hot......until it's too late.

At least I don't bleed like my teammate......

And chicks dig scars....

I have burned myself often, it happens, I used to cook for a restaurant and got burned at least monthly, and I mean burn wherein flesh is damaged, not just reddened a bit. When I am cooking fast, or for a lot of folks, it happens more. Now, maybe once a year, usually the back of the hand. Back then, forearms, hands, fingers and feet were commonly burned or scalded.

I've been working is restaurants for about nine years now, and my forearms have zebra stripes, not to mention the backs of my hands! Oven racks, sheet pans, or edges of sauce pots are the most common culprits.

The worst though was a forearm burn from a splash of dark brown roux. We call it "Kitchen Napalm" for a reason. It's super hot and it STICKS to whatever it lands on. Definite second degree burns, possibly third, that went pretty much untreated. That was like six years ago and it still shows pretty heavily when I get a tan in the summer.

The minor burns from grabbing a hot pan handle or small splashes of hot oil from the fryer don't even phase me anymore. I wear my scars like badges of valor. If a cook doesn't have burn scars, with stories to go with them, I'd question how hard he is working...

I'll save my "cutting myself stories" for another thread!

Back