Home Depot Ranger charcoal

biffleg

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ran to Home Depot last night to pick up weed whacker line ... and picked up a new Weber chimney starter and a bag of Ranger 100% hardwood charcoal. I want to say the 20# bag cost $5.

Has anyone heard of or used this stuff? Any good ... or go get my money back?

Thanks!

Never heard of it, but at $5 for a 20# bag, you know I'm gonna try it.
Heck, burn it. Can't be any worse than Cowboy, unless of course, it IS Cowboy.

Ran to Home Depot last night to pick up weed whacker line ... and picked up a new Weber chimney starter and a bag of Ranger 100% hardwood charcoal. I want to say the 20# bag cost $5.

Has anyone heard of or used this stuff? Any good ... or go get my money back?

Thanks!
If it is the Cowboy Charcoal, I have used it and did'nt care for it.
8) 8) 8)

Trying some of the Kingsford Lump now. Damm its expensive though.
But the nice thing is very little ash. BIG LUMPS

A lot of people knock it but I kinda like Kingsford lump. It is a bit pricey but you get big, DENSE chunks that burn for a pretty long time.

Trying some of the Kingsford Lump now. Damm its expensive though.
But the nice thing is very little ash. BIG LUMPS

the 20# bag cost $5.
quote]

It would have to be VERY crappy for me to not want a 20 lbs bag of charcoal that only cost $5.00. then again, at that price I would think it may be a crappy product.

As I mentioned earlier ... here's a pic of the bag:

charcoal.jpg

that's gotta be the same stuff, right? Just a new label... Looks like it may be some pretty good stuff.

ill have to look harder next time i am there for 5 bucks its worth trying.

Am I the only one that doesn't see Lump on the bag? It says Briquette Charcoal under Hardwood. Have you opened the bag yet to see if it is Lump or Briq.

I remember a thread somewhere listing a bunch or coal made by the same people that make cowboy and I swear rancher was one of them. I bought cowboy thinking how bad could it be for the money. I found out, BAD.

Am I the only one that doesn't see Lump on the bag? It says Briquette Charcoal under Hardwood. Have you opened the bag yet to see if it is Lump or Briq.

I was wondering the same thing... but for $5 I would have to try it:)

I haven't. I'll crack it open in a little while ... maybe take a pic for everyone.

I do not see that particular bag listed on their website. Is this listed on the bag? http://www.originalcharcoal.com/

It sure looks like the same company.

I didn't see it either. Sent their customer support an email asking about it ... will let everyone know what they say.

I have been buying my Ranch Lump from Ribn It in Harve De Grace Md. It goes for $11 20lbs. They buy it buy the skid. It burns nice and clean and leaves a small amount of ash. Burn times can vary, but it seems to go for a while.

Les

Here's the response from the Original Charcoal Company:

Good Morning,
I was not aware that HD had the product in stores as yet. It is supposed to be "launched" over Memorial Day.

-Was it listed as "Rancher"?
-Can you tell me which store?
-Was it on a pallet display?

Actually, we do not have a detailed page on the briquette on our site as yet. We have switched servers, and the new guys don't want to work on the old format...unbelievable isn't it. At any rate, we will have something within the next few weeks.
Thank you for your interest and support!

After dinner I think I'll run to HD to pick up a couple of more bags.

Back