Slow brisket

Jorge

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Did two 12 lb. packers yesterday, and today. Tried the fat down deal and I might be sold. The fat dripping from the one above worked out well too, lazy mans mop.

I've had briskets get stuck at 170 or so for a while. Yesterday I couldn't seem to get the brisket started. They were both close to room temp when they went in. 4-5 hours into the cook they were both still hovering between 90-100 degrees (temp in the box was 215-220). The only time I opened the door was to put some ribs in about 4 hours in. Checked the temp in the smoke box with three different thermometers, all were within 2 degrees. Tried different thermometers in the brisket, same deal. They finally hit 150 about 13 hours into the cook. 8 hours later I put them in the cooler. Sliced some up and it came out great. Not the best I've ever done, but the neighbors won't be getting any either. There seems to be plenty of fat, brisket is tender (closer to competition tender than butter meat).

First time I started lunch at 7 AM the day before.

Yum dewd.
Thatnks for the detailed description of what you did.
I took my usual "notes".

I have'nt done a briscut in a while so maybe one is in order soon.

Thanks again.

peace
mike

So was that 21 hours total in the smoker? and how long did they stay in the cooler?

21 hours in the smoker. One spent 3 hours in the cooler and got sliced for the better half to take to work. The second brisket spent another 2 hours in the cooler, until I couldn't take it any longer and had to sample it. It will be dinner tonight. Did a pot of beans, potato salad, and slaw yesterday. I had the time....

I had one stick at 140 over the weekend. This was a 6# flat.
After about 8 hours I bagged it in an oven bag and ran the temp up to 325 -- internal took off like a rocket. About 40 minutes later I was slicing for dinner -- didn't have time for any coolering -- just a nice 10 minute rest on the cutting board.

OK tender, great smoke ring and oak flavor -- still don't know why it stuck so hard and so long -- I, too, tried two different thermometers to make sure it hadn't gone bad! :D

It seems like almost everything I do takes far longer than it supposed to. I think the last load I did everything needed about 2 hours per pound. Think it's something I am doing wrong, or is it just that way sometimes? BTW, food turned out great, just took a while to get there. TIMBO

Graytwhyte said:
It seems like almost everything I do takes far longer than it supposed to. I think the last load I did everything needed about 2 hours per pound. Think it's something I am doing wrong, or is it just that way sometimes? BTW, food turned out great, just took a while to get there. TIMBO

If you are going right from the fridge to the cooker, then your timing is probably right. I usually try to let stuff set out about an hour before cooking, leaving it wrapped and seasoned, but giving it a chance to warm up just a little.

So somebody help me out here. Im going to be getting a new Bandera as soon as it comes in and Ive never smoked a brisket but I want to. If Im hearing you right, its just a guess as to how long the thing is going to take to get done once you put it on? That kinda puts a halt to making dinner plans with folks coming over doesnt it? How do you know when its time to give up on the smoker and bring it all in to the over?
Am I dreaming here. I sure thought once I got me a Bandera I could more less load it up, get it hot, and go take me a nap. Im a fat lazy old fart and I didnt want to be feeling like Im working on a coal car on a locamotive..he he he

That kinda puts a halt to making dinner plans with folks coming over doesnt it?
Nope, just start cooking the night before! :D

How do you know when its time to give up on the smoker and bring it all in to the over?
You don't -- unless the spouse is threatening you in which case you're acting under duress!!
Am I dreaming here. I sure thought once I got me a Bandera I could more less load it up, get it hot, and go take me a nap
Wake up and smell the chicory, coon-ass! :D

Nobody said it was EASY! If you control the fire (about 225 - forever!) and plan on AT LEAST 1.5 hours per pound and then add about 2-3 hours resting time in the cooler you'll probably be OK. :twisted: If push comes to shove don't go immediately to the oven -- just wrap the brisket early -- the foil or oven bag helps a lot. Don't jack the fire up too hot or you'll just make the brisket tough!!

BillyH said:
Am I dreaming here. I sure thought once I got me a Bandera I could more less load it up, get it hot, and go take me a nap. Im a fat lazy old fart and I didnt want to be feeling like Im working on a coal car on a locamotive..he he he
Billy,
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you buy a good basket, "short naps" are all you will get with a Bandera.
Take a look at:
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3408.
It deals with the wire type fire grate used on the Bandera and many consumer smokers.
The two referenced reports are in Bandera Mods files and are linked from the thread. They have specific data on burn times for pure wood, pure Kingsford, and mixed fuel loads.
Basically, un-Moded with no basket, you will be fussing with the fire every 45 minutes or so. Actually less because you will be preheating wood or lighting off charcoal chimneys getting ready to re-load.
If you want longer naps, you will need a basket or a heavy duty fire grate and maybe some fire box insulation.
TIM

The reality is: if you want to nap get a Weber Smoky Mountain!! Fire it up with the Minion method, load the brisket, wait a bit to adjust the vents, and then nap -- wake up in 6-8 hours, gently stir the charcoal and go back to bed.

With the Bandera or just about any other offset cooker you are going to be tending the fire.

That's why the term "pit bitch" has such cache! :D You gotta earn that title!

well so much for a nap I guess... thats why they make beer isnt it!!!!

Id love to see some pictures of that fire grate mod.. All I can open up for some reason is some of the word docs. theres a few of the mods I can get to to see pics but not many...does anybody have some of the pics they could post.
Ive already decided as soon as I get my dera in Im putting the grease drain in before I even fire it up. I have everything I need already to put it in so might as well do it.. Besides, I'll have a little fun with it with the wife..cant wait to see her reaction when she see's me beating this brand new thing with a sledge hammer...some extra cussing will enhance the effect.. I probably should video this one...

BillyH said:
Id love to see some pictures of that fire grate mod.. All I can open up for some reason is some of the word docs. theres a few of the mods I can get to to see pics but not many...does anybody have some of the pics they could post.
Ive already decided as soon as I get my dera in Im putting the grease drain in before I even fire it up. I have everything I need already to put it in so might as well do it.. Besides, I'll have a little fun with it with the wife..cant wait to see her reaction when she see's me beating this brand new thing with a sledge hammer...some extra cussing will enhance the effect.. I probably should video this one...
Billy i've had mine for three months and can't bring myself to use the sledge hammer. I took a broiler pan from that thing in kitchen we don't use anymore and it catches almost all the grease,and i smoke on it aleast 4 times a week, Please don't beat your 'Dera!

jminion said:
According to wife, way to quick!

LMAO. Thanks, I needed that chuckle this afternoon. :)

I thought the drain mod was more for water when you wash it than for grease!?!

Back