Fillet Mignon?

At Costco you can buy the whole untrimmed loin - we get 12-18 cuts out of it.

Whole untrimmed loin! Duh!!!! thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that, should be cheaper in the long run. I need to make 30 fillets 18 adult sized and 12 kiddie size. The whole loin would be perfect for that!

Does anyone know if you can get case prices on Fillet Mignon at Sam's Club? And if you can about how many come in a case?

I shop the chain groceries, and about once a month Fry's, Safeway, Basha's or Albertson's will put whole tenderloins on sale for about $4.79 per pound. Got a knife? Actually they will usually cut and wrap free of charge...

Or you could smoke the tenderloin whole and finish with a reverse sear.
Slice and serve.

That there's some good eating.

Or you could smoke the tenderloin whole and finish with a reverse sear.
Slice and serve.

That there's some good eating.

Glad I caught this thread, I just picked up a whole tenderloin for 3.99 a lb.

How long should you smoke it before slice and sear?

Glad I caught this thread, I just picked up a whole tenderloin for 3.99 a lb.

How long should you smoke it before slice and sear?

I did one at 225* for about 3 hours recently, don't remember exact time, but I pulled it at 120* internal temp. (I like it rare)

I was using the WSM so once at 120*, I disassembled and seared the whole roast by placing the grate right over the lump (1-2" clearance) for about 4 min. each side. Then let it rest covered for 15 min, and sliced. -Unbelievably good, maybe the best beef I've ever had!

Alternatively, you could pull the roast once at your target temp, let rest, then slice and sear the cut edges immediately before serving (cast iron pan would be easiest to control).
I'd use smokin' high heat and flip the steaks very frequently to build up the sear, rather than letting it sit for a long time on one side before flipping.

sams also has whole untrimmed loins,,be sure to grind the trimmings for burgers!

Hey guys, to report back. I bought three whole tenderloins. Watched a video on youtube on how to trim it and it was really simple! The three loins yielded 33 fillets and they were cooked at 550, about half were cooked well done (I hated doing that, but that is what they wanted) and the other half Medium.

I think next time I'll try the smoke and then slice method, that sounds really good!

Back