Sides for a Texas style BBQ

B

BlueHowler

A friend of the family is from Texas and for her B-day requested I cook babyback pork ribs in my smoker. Of course I said yes!

The problem is I can't decide what to serve with them. My wife does not want potato salad or beans. I'm going to make Texas Pate and the corn bread pudding recipe I found on this site.

What else would a Texan serve? (besides beef)

Who's B-Day is it again? No beans or tater salad...........Hmmmm, I say go with beans and tater salad. :becky:
A good slaw, corn bread, corn on the cob, I'll think of some others.

Bob

Who's B-Day is it again? No beans or tater salad...........Hmmmm, I say go with beans and tater salad. :becky:
A good slaw, corn bread, corn on the cob, I'll think of some others.

Bob

I'm a bean and tater salad fanatic but I served them last weekend so that is why my wife does not want them.

Slaw sounds good.

Grill some sweet corn on the cob that is a great side. Also spanish rice is a side I love. In my area with my friends and family we always have flour tortillas to go with that and fresh guacamole.

Every BBQ has to have Keri's hog apple beans! How about grilled corn with a chipolte-lime compound butter. Sliced tomato's with basil,garlic,basalmic and olive oil. Cole slaw. Mac and cheese? Grilled marinated zucchini and a big salad!

Nobody's said grilled jalapenos or stuffed poblanos yet?

Now I see why the beans and tater salad are out, but maybe the other folks would like those as well as the birthday girl and you could make a different one for the wife.

A good guac like Al suggested is good. You can't go wrong with some greens either. you could also still do the beans and salad, just a different prep.

What kind of beans and salad did you make last weekend?

Were they sweet beans, if so go with more savory like some Ranchero beans. If the tater salad was a mustard based, go with maybe a German version of tater salad.
German style tater salad is the chit! Good stuff.
Maybe some scalloped tatoes.
Or different beans like Northern, kidneys, etc.

Bacon wrapped asparagus, grilled polenta squares, corn coins, scalloped potatoes, grits, grilled carrots, baked and stuffed onions, cornbread, grilled garlic bread.
paperboy98

Bacon wrapped asparagus, grilled polenta squares, corn coins, scalloped potatoes, grits, grilled carrots, baked and stuffed onions, cornbread, grilled garlic bread.
paperboy98

How bout a quick recipe for them coins if you'd be willing to share it.
Thanks,
Bob

This thread is making me hungry............

Cowboy Baked Beans and put enough brisket in 'em so she doesn't even think about the beans!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not know Martha Stewart was from Texas :wink:

Paul

Back