Pots and pans choices for everyday use??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking to see what most of the brethren use for their everday cooking when it comes to pots and pans? I've only used cheap non stick ones I got when I got married and didn't know any better. Now it's time to upgrade to something that will last a long time. I know cast iron is good but is heavy and takes a lot of upkeep to maintain the seasoning. I'm looking into stainless steel set with either copper or aluminum core. All the options out there start getting me confused so I was hoping to hear what others are using. I was thinking of picking some stuff up at Restaunt Depot since they probably sell commercial quality stuff. They seem to carry either aluminum pans or stainless steel with aluminum core. Any thought on these? I know it's not BBQ related but I know there are a lot of great cooks on this forum and I would like something that would be good to cook sauces and such.

Thanks
Patrick

If you are planning on Making pickles any time make sure you have at least one stainless...the copper reacts with vinegar when heated

Just my $.02

God bless,
Disciple

Take a look at Analon Advanced from Amazon. I bought 3 fry pans, one a big 14". Heavy as heck, but a great pan for those one dish meals. Non stick outside and inside. Just be careful not to overheat or use a spray (Pam, etc) on them and they will last forever. Easy clean up, just hot water and soap bath and they are clean. No scrubbing or sticking. Use wooden or non metal utensils on them. Great pans. I did a lot of research before buying, and am completely satisfied.

When I decided to upgrade my skillset,I also decided to upgrade my cookware and cutlery.I did due dilligence by looking at consumer reviews and many cooking websites,and visits to several local commercial kitchens.I then chose Cuisinart Tri-ply,and bought way too much.Same with cutlery-bought everything Messermeister offered.....
Truth is I now have things I may never use;you get by pretty well on a saute,a 5qt saucepot,an 8 and 12qt stockpot,and I like having my 2 and 3 1/2qt saucepots as well.I have another 8 pieces that haven't ever been used.
The tr-ply heats evenly,scrubs up well,and is nonreactive to acidic food,I reccomend it.I did have to learn to cook at a lower heat tho,as it will "hold" food on the bottoms of the pan at higher heats.Also,check that the brand chosen has tri-ply on sides of pots as well as the bottom.Many manufacturers just use a disc in the bottom,and there is no even heat distribution on the sides.
As always,YMMV.I use cast iron still for a few things,and the enameled steel gets use on the smoker and grills....T

5 years ago we got the Kirkland(Costco) pots and pans when we got married, at the time the were rated best by consumer reports. Got say I have had no problem with them and they cook and clean very easily. They are stainless steel and have a copper core on the bottom.(you can see the ring). They are not going to break the bank and they last a while, my sister has the same set from 11 years ago still in great shape.
Good luck with your search.

just went through this myself.

lots of research led me to this set:

Amazon.com: Tramontina Premium Quality 18/10 Stainless Steel 11 Piece Tri Ply Clad Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining

also available at walmart. have been blown away by their performance and build quality.
There is Tramontina made in Brazil and Tramontina made in China. The Brazil Tramontina established the name as good cookware. Surprisingly I've heard very few negatives regarding the Tramontina made in China. I purchased the China Tramontina and both cooking and cosmetic wise they are flawless. Some people say the two appear and perform identically.

PBS has a Test Kitchen cooking show which did a test of the popular all clad cookery. All-Clad came in first and Tramontina (Walmart style) came in second. They mentioned that the set of All-Clad used cost $650 and the same set in Tramontina costs $150. This last comparison convinced me.

The 8 piece set is still available by shipping at Walmart for $150.

I prefer having a full set of stainless pans and a select few of nonstick.

My wife and I were lucky enough to receive a set of All Clad for our wedding. Ten years later they are still new looking, with heavy use. I love them. The only pots and pans I've bought since have been some cast iron pieces. I definitely couldn't afford the All Clad if I had to buy them myself. I think if you find a good stainless wrapped on a copper core with a heavy bottom you would be in good shape. Just look for decent reviews.
PS - It was a learning curve for me to switch from non-stick to stainless. Lets say you are cooking a chicken breast. With stainless, the breast just stays there "sticking" to the pan until it releases. Hard to explain, but once I got a handle of it, it was a beautiful thing.

I have a La Tremontina skillet that I like, but the rest of my everyday stuff is Calphalon stainless. I decided on those because of the handle design. The All Clad handle just doesn't feel good in my big hands, but the Calphalon design was perfect. I think it is important to get hands on with the cookware to see what feels best to you.

I have a La Tremontina skillet that I like, but the rest of my everyday stuff is Calphalon stainless. I decided on those because of the handle design. The All Clad handle just doesn't feel good in my big hands, but the Calphalon design was perfect. I think it is important to get hands on with the cookware to see what feels best to you.

I would agree on the handle

Most important thing to keep in mind, who is going to use the everyday stuff? I have mine and theirs because there are members of this household who just don't get "the good stuff"! Find something you like size, handle, looks and weight and go for it.

If you go for the all clad, check out www.cookwarenmore.com They sell factory seconds at a steep discount. The seconds come with the same warranty as issued for all of the all clad line. Also, they have a sale two or three times a year when you can take an additional 20% off. I have purchased all of my all clad from them and have been very well pleased.

Thanks everyone for the info. It sounds like having copper or copper core isn't that important as it seems like an aluminum core works almost as well. I will definitely have to do some research.

The skillets that get the most use in my kitchen are commercial grade from AceMart Restaurant Supply. They are good, reasonably priced pans. Link Here

My sauce pans are All Clad tri-ply that I gathered over the years, mostly from overstock stores like Tuesday Morning.

I have some cast iron pans, but don't use them a lot. I have Le Creuset CI dutch ovens that are used a lot in the winter for soups and stews. There is a Le Crueset outlet store near me. I buy factory rejects. I can't find anything wrong on their rejects.

CD

Last edited:
i have a 5 year old set of cast aluminum non-stick cookware from costco, kirkland brand, and it has been great. i also have a bunch of le crueset pieces i have acquired and been given throughout the years. i like the heft and non-stick of the kirkland and the HEFT and heat retention of the le crueset. feel i have the best of all worlds with the pieces i have.

I would look for heavy construction especially on the bottom and make sure everything is metal, no plastic or glass that goes for the lids as well and fry pans. If you get anything with a nonstick inside surface resist using any non stick sprays they will ruin them but its ok to use on a surface that is not non stick. I like to be able to start something on the stove top and then popping it into the oven with or without a lid, hence the reason for buying all metal pots and fry pans. I also like stainless because it does not affect anything that has an acid base like tomato sauce or bbq sauce. If I could afford to buy new ones I would buy individual vessels because just like a knife block set you are going to get things you will probably not use very often.
Dave

Back