Pulled Pork

B

BIGBrandon2785

Im wanting to do Pulled Pork for a partY but I would like to smoke it a day or two ahead of time.What is the longest I can put it in the fridge with out it drying out.And whats the best method for reheating?

One or two days is no problem for cooked pork in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Add some apple juice and re-heat it in a covered pan in the oven at 300*. Heat until it reaches 165* in the middle, and it will be plenty moist. Any more than 4 or 5 days, and it should go into the freezer.

I will add...make sure you have pulled the meat before you put it in fridge or it will be hard to pull.

I also freeze PP and its great too. I make a thin vinegar BBQ sauce and reheat the PP in a pot in the sauce and it tastes good and comes out moist. Same principle s the apple juice I guess, just need some moisture when you reheat.....

If you don't want to add any sauce before hand, I steam mine to reheat it. Works great and stays uber-moist

We use a food saver to seal up PP and then just reheat the packages in boiling water on the stove...

but I'm gonna try reheating some in my vinegar sauce like bacon was talking about above.

I'm with GreasePig. I vacuum seal and reheat in simmering water. No need to add moisture.

If I'm only reheating enough for a couple sandwhiches I use steam method in a frying pan with a lid works great.

Reheating pork in foodsaver bags in simmering water works best in my opinon.

I'll side with Bacon as well though I use a mixture of cider vinegar & apple cider to get a sweet/sour thin wash. We put i4 lbs in a 1/2 tray, slosh on a bit of the wash & sprinkle a bit of rub over the top. Cover tray with foil - into 300Âş oven until 165Âş. Out of oven, foil off, toss with tong, lid replaces foil & into holding unit.

As HD requires we hold all meat @ 140Âş or above, the wash keeps it moist in the holding unit. Same principle if you're thinking of using chafing racks for the party. A little wash & a lid or foil on the pan.

Careful with this. The seal broke open due to the heat on one of mine and I had pulled-pork soup.

Sounds like an easy way to make stock. I have had this happen to me as well and I still used it but I was making enchiladas so it really did not matter.

I have taken butts to 165 in the smoke, let rest, and pop in fridge for a day or two. Then I finish in a half pan tented with foil (I've finished in the oven or smoker - doesn't matter since it's covered). Take to 195 like it was the smoking day, cooler. It'll be fine.

For a 1/2 sheet pan pan, I take the juice from the foil after the cook and put it in a qt zip-lock. Freeze it flat and cut it up into squares. Before putting the foil on top, I place squares on top of the pork so when its reheating in the oven slowly, the butt juice squares melt down into the pork.

Dan

For a 1/2 sheet pan pan, I take the juice from the foil after the cook and put it in a qt zip-lock. Freeze it flat and cut it up into squares. Before putting the foil on top, I place squares on top of the pork so when its reheating in the oven slowly, the butt juice squares melt down into the pork.

Dan
Love this idea!
When I know I'm going to reheat, I foil at 170 just to save the drippings, then add those drippings in ziploc bag with the meat to have when reheating

Back