Vending results, day 2 of 3......

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So let me set the stage. Christian Outdoor Expo, Friday 3 - 9, Saturday 10 - 9 and Sunday 10 - 4. Signed up for this several months ago. Snowed 6+ inches today which we expected to kill us. Loe and behold, we are broken even as of tonight. Tomorrow is all profit. Let's hope it's a good one! Honestly, as of 11am today i was hoping for break-even overall. We've served about 68 pork butts so far.

68 butts gets you to the break even point?

jbrink01 - dude we need to chat, i want to take my BBQ to your levels in terms of serving the public via catering and vending. i'm in the early stages of planning. I just may have to fly out from MA to your class your planning.

Nice vending is tough. I vend smaller events in hopes to drum up future catering jobs

68 butts gets you to the break even point?

We went pretty heavy. Cooked 90 plus 5 cases of brats, plus beans, potato salad and slaw. We also took 200 pork burgers for today. We were promised 10,000 people at the event over 3 days. They are at 9000 through last night. Other food vendors (there are 6 total) pretty much suck. We are higher priced than the other bbq guy but he isnt selling much. People keep commenting how clean and professional we look. It must matter......:becky:

BTW - Bear in mind that when I say even, I mean after ALL costs including depreciation, overhead and labor for the total weekend. Today is PURE profit.

Yes, seriuosly. My bill from KUNA Meats in St. Louis this week was just over $1200. My total cost of raw goods is right at $2,000. My total costs with labor will be just shy of $3,000. My total sales should be around $5500 if foot traffic holds up.

PS - Those of you that have done this get it, but for those that want to vend, 3x raw goods cost generally equates to about a 40% net margin AFTER you pay for equipment, insurance, vending fees, hired help, etc....

PS - Those of you that have done this get it, but for those that want to vend, 3x raw goods cost generally equates to about a 40% net margin AFTER you pay for equipment, insurance, vending fees, hired help, etc....

Yes very correct and then throw a snowball at it (PUN intended) An unexpected 5" of snow or some other event and it can get dicey!

Exactly! We would have been even by mid-afternoon yesterday if the weather had been good! IMHO festival type vending is either great right out of the gate, or you sweat it all weekend. I do love those events when your even by the end of day 1 with 2 days to go!!!! Just not this one.

If you went through 68 butts in one day and you only have 90, you are in major need of more butts. Hope things goes well for you. Profit is a nice word. What kind of vending fee are you being charged?

If you went through 68 butts in one day and you only have 90, you are in major need of more butts. Hope things goes well for you. Profit is a nice word. What kind of vending fee are you being charged?

Today is a short day, so we took the pork burgers to fill in. Our vending fee was $350 plus 10% of net. It's currently low 30's with 6" of snow cover....

Vending is dicy especially with the weather you are havng. I like to break down my expenses daily so I know where I am at the end of each day. Keeping a daily average helps planning for the next one and sometimes I don't buy all the product prior to the event if possible because of the possibiliby of unexpected problems with weather, other vendors etc.

Vending is dicy especially with the weather you are havng. I like to break down my expenses daily so I know where I am at the end of each day. Keeping a daily average helps planning for the next one and sometimes I don't buy all the product prior to the event if possible because of the possibiliby of unexpected problems with weather, other vendors etc.

Wish i could. I buy wholesale and they deliver several days prior. Upside is that all but the slaw will freeze. I know where I am daily, and can generally tell you based on time of day how it's going. It will all be ok, just wish it was warmer..........

A fee to be there plus 10% of the net???? Nothing like putting the screws to you just to be there and taking all of the risk.

A fee to be there plus 10% of the net???? Nothing like putting the screws to you just to be there and taking all of the risk.

Thats a nature of the business. Knockem dead today. Cold or not, People are sick of being cooped up. Have a good one.

There is always an alternative solution. My wife just sold the tear down comittee a discounted catered meal during teardown in lieu of the fee. Catering menu price = $1800. Discount = $500. Meal cost = $800. Profit on meal = $500. Leftovers = gone. Voila!!! Way to go Tricia!!

There is always an alternative solution. My wife just sold the tear down comittee a discounted catered meal during teardown in lieu of the fee. Catering menu price = $1800. Discount = $500. Meal cost = $800. Profit on meal = $500. Leftovers = gone. Voila!!! Way to go Tricia!!

Thats the next level! Way to go.

Back