Marinated, Rubbed, and Glazed Lamb - Grill Pr0n!

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
This is another on of my dad's recipes. It was outstanding. Enjoy the Pr0n!

All three Grillin’ Fools gathered for an all day grill, chill, and photograph session for the website on a recent Saturday. It can only be described as epic. We did a wide variety of dishes that you can see here on the site, or check some more candid/behind-the-scenes pics of the process that we posted on Facebook. One of the recipes I chose to do was rack of lamb because we don’t have many posts about a meat we all love. The posts we do have seem to focus on cooking lamb racks carefully and not grill them past medium rare lest we ruin the precious, and expensive, cut of meat. Over-cooked rack of lamb is considered to be a cardinal sin in our group so you can imagine the reaction I received when I announced I was going to indirect the lamb for an hour and a half or longer. So…we’re off on an adventure into uncharted territory for this Grillin’ Fool.
The first step will be soaking the lamb in a marinade for 3-4 hours and up to overnight. I like overnight best. The ingredients are:
Marinade Ingredients:
2 eight-bone racks of lamb (excess fat trimmed) more about this later
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ cup sweet onion, chopped
10 cloves garlic, chopped
10 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves
10 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp ancho chile powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp hot red pepper flakes
¼ cup water
Combine all ingredients for the marinade and puree in the blender/processor (optional as I didn’t use the food processor, but doing so will awaken even more of the flavors in the marinade) and add to the lamb in resealable plastic bag coating the lamb completely and, preferably, refrigerate overnight.
Lamb-Prep-1-600x450.jpg

Lamb-Prep-2-600x450.jpg

Dry Rub Ingredients:
4 tbsp smoked paprika (I emphasize smoked variety for a far different flavor than non-smoked)
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp lemon pepper
Lamb-Prep-3-600x450.jpg

Sauce/Glaze Ingredients:
¼ cup honey
½ cup of your favorite barbeque sauce (I used Blues Hog)
1 or 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
½ jalapeno pepper, finely grated
Indirected-Lamb-12-600x398.jpg

The lamb racks are removed from the marinade and ready to be rinsed:
Indirected-Lamb-1-600x398.jpg

The lamb is patted dry before applying the dry rub ingredients:
Indirected-Lamb-2-600x398.jpg

Remember that part about trimming the excess fat? This senior citizen griller forgot to do so. No problem I’ll just do it now:
Indirected-Lamb-3-600x398.jpg

Now I have weird-looking lamb racks:
Indirected-Lamb-4-600x398.jpg

The dry rub is applied:
Indirected-Lamb-6-600x398.jpg

Love the way it turns fingers orange…reminds me of an old Cheetos joke:
Indirected-Lamb-7-600x398.jpg

Notice I’m coating the bone side first?
This is why. If the meat side was done first a lot of rub would simply end up on the cutting board because there would be a lot of surface area of the meat touching the cutting board. This way the meat side is protected from rub loss because the bend in the bones keeps the meat from the bone side propped off the board due to the concave shape of the bones. Better to lose some rubs off the short section of meat on the bone side than all along the meat side:
Indirected-Lamb-8-600x398.jpg

Now the meat side is coated:
Indirected-Lamb-9-600x398.jpg

The racks are entirely coated including ends and taken out to the grill:
Indirected-Lamb-10-600x398.jpg

Both racks are placed on Tom’s Big Green Egg which has been set up for indirect grilling at a temp of 250 degrees with a little oak wood in the coals for the smoke:
Indirected-Lamb-11-600x398.jpg

***Editor’s Note ~ For those of you that don’t have a Big Green Egg, or any other ceramic cooker like this, you are probably wondering how one can indirect grill by having the meat in the middle of the grate as in the picture above. Notice that you can’t see the coals? That’s because there’s a deflector put under the meat that shields the meat and allows the heat to pass by on the outside and out the top. On a regular grill, put the coals on one side an the meat on the other to get the same indirect effect***
I’m looking to indirect grill for an hour to an hour and a half or until the instant read thermometer reads 125. Time could vary depending on the type of grill/heat of grill.
While the lamb racks are gently grilling it’s time to make the sauce/glaze.
First, to cut the heat down, remove the white flesh and the seeds. I used the half jalepeno on the right. If you want more heat, leave the seeds and the flesh:
Indirected-Lamb-13-600x398.jpg

Here I’m trying to grate the pepper and it turns out to be quite difficult:
Indirected-Lamb-14.jpg

These jalapenos came from Tom’s freezer and aren’t ideal for this as they are a little spongy. Hint: don’t attempt to grate previously frozen jalapenos. They lose their rigidity and become rather soft and wiggly making grating difficult. I suggest using a fresh pepper for this recipe.
The garlic cloves are grated:
Indirected-Lamb-15-600x398.jpg

The grated garlic and jalapeno are added to the honey and Blues Hog barbeque sauce:
Indirected-Lamb-18-600x398.jpg

Whisk together and set aside:
Indirected-Lamb-19-600x398.jpg

Time to go check the lamb…I’m hearing a chorus of yells from the outdoor kitchen.
I rush out to see what all the commotion was about and Tom points to the thermometer. It’s only been 45 minutes and the internal temperature is 145, way past the desired 125 mark previously indicated:
Indirected-Lamb-16-600x398.jpg

Scott and Tom and our honored guests are not saying much but the looks I’m getting tell me they think I’ve really screwed this up because the next step calls for applying the sauce/glaze and grilling for another 20 minutes to caramelize the glaze. I don’t want to serve them gray lamb.
***Editor’s Note ~ Since that probe thermometer has a built in alarm, it probably would’ve been a good idea if we had set that alarm to ring at 125. Mental note for us for the next time we do one of these deals at Tom’s***
Here’s what the racks looked like. Meat pulling away from the bone but not too much:
Indirected-Lamb-17-600x398.jpg

I reinserted the probe thinking, perhaps, the probe was in contact with a bone thus yielding a hotter temp reading. Not the case, so I pulled them inside and prepared to continue with the rest of the recipe regardless of the potential consequences. Be sure to spell Fool with a capital F.
Indirected-Lamb-20-600x398.jpg

While cooling a bit inside the sauce/glaze is applied. All I can think is, “That looks really good to this old griller.”
Again, sauce bone side up first, just like with the rub:
Indirected-Lamb-21-600x398.jpg

Indirected-Lamb-21A-600x398.jpg

Full steam ahead! Once the lamb racks are coated it’s back on the grill for another 20 minutes to get that glaze good and sticky. Hoping this doesn’t end in disaster:
Indirected-Lamb-22-600x398.jpg

The glazed racks of lamb are pulled from the grill. Notice a little char? That is to be expected considering the honey and sugar in the sauce:
Indirected-Lamb-23-600x398.jpg

Staying true to form the lamb racks are covered in foil and allowed to rest for 5-10 minutes to allow the juices, which are in an excited state to calm down and redistribute throughout the meat:
Indirected-Lamb-24-600x398.jpg

The racks are cut into individual lollipops and served to those in attendance. Lo and behold, the center still exhibits a bit of pink! I would call this a perfect medium:
Indirected-Lamb-25-600x398.jpg

What about taste, texture, and tenderness? It was unanimous! A definite home run! Very tender, full of flavor, and melt-in-your mouth texture. The 3-step process of marinade, dry rub, and glaze worked extremely well together.
Here’s the money shot taken on Tom’s outdoor granite counter… His outdoor kitchen is a great place to grill and chill:
Indirected-Lamb-26.jpg

The Barbaresco was great with the lamb. What is it about Italian wines and food? So good together. Also consider a spicy Zinfandel or Shiraz with this recipe. We hope you give this a try soon and share your experience with us. We understand lamb is expensive but what a great Valentine’s Day treat for your significant other! Think about it. Grilled lamb, I hope it’s snowing, along with a great red wine and red roses on the table…what a great evening!
If you have any questions or comments about either of these dishes, feel free to leave them below or shoot me an email.
If you would like to see lamb dishes, click here.
Also, you can follow us on our GrillinFools Facebook page and post your own grillin pictures or join in on the general grillin conversation. Or, you can follow us on twitter @GrillinFool to get all the updates from the site.

Real nice.... :thumb:

One thing.... Lamb fat is SO yummy though!!! :loco::loco::heh:

Cheers

by chance, your not looking for a 4th grillin fool are you? How bout an official unbiased taste tester??? I'm local! :thumb:

Great looking meal and Barbaresco is a nice choice! Villa Ilaria is one I havent seen in PA

Last edited:
Great looking meal and Barbaresco is a nice choice! Villa Ilaria is one I havent seen in PA

The fact that it was a properly aged 2001 didn't hurt either. Although the 2000 Bordeaux and the 2001 Cotes Du Rhone were even better. We actually invited a couple folks over to do nothing but help us polish off the remainder of the food and he brought the Bordeaux and the Barbaresco which leads me to cheeaa's question:

by chance, your not looking for a 4th grillin fool are you? How bout an official unbiased taste tester??? I'm local! :thumb:

Can you match the wine output mentioned above? If so, then by all means, yes. We're actually inviting another guy over for the next one on March 3rd who may in fact challenge this dude in terms of wine he can provide. Both guys are way out of my league on budget for wine...

Back