Pork butt help needed tonight

BrisketBelly

Knows what a fatty is.
I have the butt injected, rubbed and the smoker ready to go. It is 10pm here and I am cooking this for a party I am attending tomorrow after work (6pm). The pork butt is 8.5lb. and I anticipate it will take about 13 hours to cook at 225. That will take me to around 11am tomorrow. My wife will be home to wrap it and cooler it but that will still be roughly 7 hours before I can tend to it.

My questions are: what is the lowest safe temp I can cook to extend the cooking time? Or, does someone else have a better idea so that I don't have to start this in the middle of the night? I'd really prefer not to have to try to re-heat this thing. Any help or ideas is appreciated. Thanks.

Bad food zone, 40-140. It will hold 7 hours, but you must wrap it tight in towels preheat your cooler. If I am to hold a long time I put the thermo, back in the butt and set it on top of the towels in the cooler. If mine arent done and its church time I just crank the smoker down to 170 or so, this will stall. Once left a butt on over 17 hours stalling it. Tasted great.

Well I have it smoking now. I already told my wife about needing to keep it wrapped well tomorrow. How low can I cook this thing? I've always stuck around 225. Could I take it down to 200 to stretch it out a bit?

I have cooked at 210-215 for hours with good results.....won't add a ton of time but should help.

I would have started it around 1:00am. If you do not wrap in foil at 165 it will take a bit longer to finish. I take mine to 200 and then wrap in towels and into the dry cooler. I have held them 5 hours and still piping hot. Maybe you will have one that will plateau and stick for a long time. Good luck!

I might think about putting it in the oven. the lowest setting on mine is 170. worked on my lamb but only needed three hours. Good luck.

Back