CL scam????

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Logic tells me this is a scam. But I'm reallying wanting a smoker but can't pour out a couple of grand for one. So I'm hoping is legit. I'm going to call in a little bit, still early here.

what do ya'll think? Doesn't say anything about a trailer. 1/2" steel for $350????

Huge BBQ for sale - $350

This is a competition BBQ smoker capable of cooking 2 whole hogs at one time.
The cook chamber is 35 3/8” deep by 36” wide by 23” tall. The cook chamber is built with new ½” steel plate. The thicker the walls of a BBQ smoker, the longer the BBQ holds heat. The better the smoker cooks, the less fuel it uses, it cooks more evenly, & inevitably the smoker is easier to use.
The fire box is 3/16” steel plate wrapped in 2500 deg. Insulation incased in a 3/16” shell. The fire box is tall 32” deep by 18 ½” wide by 12 ½”.
The smokers stands 86 ½” from the ground to the top of the smoke stacks.

Can you post the link and is there a photo?

i've emailed for photos, if I get them I'll post them. Weren't included in the ad

i've emailed for photos, if I get them I'll post them. Weren't included in the ad

If they email you back and say something about a quick sale via eBay and they aren't local, then yeah, it's a scam..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could be an ex wife trying to get back at her husband too. my first wife sold my trailer for $100.00!

I dunno man, I found an add similar to the content of what you posted. Guy wants $2999, which sounds more reasonable.

2vtbjup.jpg

yup, actually seen that add on several area CL's. Didn't get the connection though. Thanks, bet its the same thing.

That's wierd. If you get them on the phone and they confirm $350, I'd be all over that!

Sure would't wire any money or Ebay sale though.

Sure would't wire any money or Ebay sale though.

Good advice. I wouldn't show up with cash either. Working in tech forensics, I can tell you that a third of our Craigslist cases are fraud, another third is ROBBERY for cash (set ups).

What worries me about this is that it wouldn't be unusual for someone to have a smoker stored somewhere very rural. They might call you out to the bush and next thing you know you're assuming ambient temperature!

A guy I work with was relieved of $6500, at gun point, when he and his family went to buy a car off of CL.

Matt

The guy could have just forgotten to type the last zero...$350 = $3500? Also, if you have to ask a message board if something is a scam...there's a good chance that it is a scam.

Another scam potential, it could be stolen.

he just called me back and its a typo, should be $3000. He said he wondered why he had so many calls today.

Sucks to find out it's legit and way more than you hoped. Certainly is solid looking.

Nice looking pit, but for 3G's, you could probably get a nice trailer mounted unit. Doesn't seem to have a whole lot of cooking space on it either.

Bob

Back