New Lump.. good stuff.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Phil
Restaurant depot stopped selling royal oak. found this new stufr(new to me). $8.00 a bag.. really big pieces, burns hot and long. using it now on some chicken and pork butts im making for boy scout campout this weekend. if u see it around, get it.. i'd recommend it first hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 256
Looks good! Not a lot of dust. I have got to get a Restaurant depot membership.

I wish I could find a picture of my ex. Then you would know true lump.
I googled it but she didn't come up.

bbqjoe said:
I wish I could find a picture of my ex. Then you would know true lump.
I googled it but she didn't come up.
Ouch!
I never really thought of looking at restaurant supply places for lump. The only thing we get 'round here is Cowboy lump (pass!).

We get mesquite lump out of mexico cheap but it's full of crap.Rocks,dust &etc.We don't have a restuarant depot here,so for now i use the new kingsford.

This is excellent stuff. i used about a quarter of the bag and 4 logs on a 9 hour cook in the BYC. I only brought 3 bags to try but will be heading back to pick up 6 more this weekend. I dumped the bag intoa wheel barrow to see if the bottom was all junk, but it was pretty unifor throughout, whats in the pics, was in the middle and bottom too, very bottom had some smaller pieces due to settling, but thats ok.. Stuffs a winner.

Kapn, didnt check the bag for details on the base wood, but i will in the AM.

Just checked

Mfg is Olde Good Times, Milburn NJ.

No base wood details.. Just "quality hardwoods".

and i found my tent. :)

No no no no no no no.

You can't be pre-cooking food for a Boy Scout campout.

Nooooo.

The boys have to cook it themselves over fires they make from flint sparks.

racer_81 said:
No no no no no no no.

You can't be pre-cooking food for a Boy Scout campout.

Nooooo.

The boys have to cook it themselves over fires they make from flint sparks.

Sorry racer.. i had to cheat a little. I cooked 2 butts for pulled pork sandwichs for lunch.

The boys are competing with other troops and to build a bridge over a small stream. Best bridge wins.

I'm working with a few of the boys on their cooking badges. I intended on bring out the Hondo and a couple of kettles and doing chicken and ribs. i also have to make cowboy stew for 20 and make breakfast.

now for the But....

2-3 inchs of rain tomorrow. Scout master said..
"this is boy scouts, not girl scouts, we build that bridge rain or shine."

yeah, and pnemonia... but I committed to being there, so I'm going... just not going to cook outside all day.. the stew i can make under the popup.

MrSmoker said:
We get mesquite lump out of mexico cheap but it's full of crap.Rocks,dust &etc.We don't have a restuarant depot here,so for now i use the new kingsford.

Oh My goodness.....

CACA ROCKS........reminds me of that song again...
OOoooooo that smell...........

JUST KIDDING............

I really will keep an eye out for that "Ole Good Times" stuff that
Phil had. Don't know if it will make it this far south but ,,I will look.

Last edited:
That lump looks much better than the stuff I find locally. Usually way too much dust, and the pieces are broken up or just chips towards the bottom. Great score.

Make the most out of the camping trip. Watching them build a bridge should be funny if nothing else, somebody is going to fall into the water, just a matter of when.

MrSmoker said:

I bought some Mexican lump from a local (Dallas) restaurant supply house and it was TERRIBLE! Tons of dust and it cooked "dirty."

I have one 50# bag left and don't know if I'll ever use it again. The guy that sold it to me said as I loaded it, "If you like this stuff I have some even better stuff I'll sell you next time."

I'll pass.

Ken (burnin' straight hickory on my next cook.)

Man, I love Resturant Depot. We go there at least every third weekend. I had no clue it existed before joining here.

Back