My Yoder Smokers YS1500 has arrived! (Very picture heavy)

Sorry I didn't get back to you on the rib roast. It was very simple. Bone-in, quality rib roast, I trim the fat cap off but you don't have to, I season fairly lightly with Ted and Barney's (which is just amazing on anything you want to season) or use your favorite seasoning, smoke in a 200* cooker until the IT is 125. Pull and rest under a foil tent for 30-45 minutes. Slice and devour.

It can seem intimidating to cook a rib roast, but it's really a very easy cook.

Hope this helps.

Awesome! Thank you sir, I will definitely try this recipe out. I am happy to say I have ordered the YS640 and super excited to join the Yoder smokin' family :)

Ha. :wink: Well, it looks the same, just dirtier and I don't take as many pictures as I use to, if any. :behindsofa::ban: If I come across something I can post it, but I can't find anything right now.

You are right though, most people get over any apprehension after eating some good grub off of a new cooker.

BTW, what customizations did you do to your YS1500 cart? Just color?
Understandable. I take a lot of photos and intend to make a nice, descriptive thread, but alas that rarely happens.

I got a new cart color, two probe ports, and a customized plate that will be mounted elevated on the backside of the barrel. I didn't want them to drill/screw the plate directly onto the barrel. Once I get it, i will have my pin striper tattoo it:grin:
Slice and devour.

It can seem intimidating to cook a rib roast, but it's really a very easy cook.
....and could possibly be the best thing you put in your mouth:tongue:

Fantastic thread! Do you notice less smoke on the left side of the cooker? Seems with the HMS holes starting in the middle and the stack on the right that the left side might get neglected a bit.

Fantastic thread! Do you notice less smoke on the left side of the cooker? Seems with the HMS holes starting in the middle and the stack on the right that the left side might get neglected a bit.

Not really, maybe just a touch. Plenty of air and smoke come up the left wall before the plate and you can open the HMS damper to adjust temps allowing smoke that path also. I've never really tried to quantify it, but it's not a major difference. The only reason I can think for the right side to have any more smoke is because it will "pile-up" there as it waits to exhaust.

If you think about it it seems to me that a ys 1500 is a stick burner just with smaller sticks.

Of course there is that fan thing 😌

Yep, almost. The airflow is different with a natural draft vs. fan controller and that does yield some difference, but the way the YS1500 (and Cimmaron pellet) is designed is as a stickburner with a pellet hopper instead of a firebox basically.

Yoders, built like a tank & smoke like a dream.

I just bought a Yoder this past weekend too - a Yoder Loaded Wichita. After the initial burn-off and seasoning, I've done 2 smokes in it this week so far (the week is still early��); chickens on Tuesday and pork butt yesterday. The hardest thing I've had to get used to is how hot and how efficient this beast runs....if that makes any sense.
Can you give me any advise on how to stay ahead of the fire.....meaning, keeping a consistent hot fire while avoiding big swings in temperature? Prior to this smoker, I was smoking on a mass produced, made in China of thin tin model for 15 years, so this is a MAJOR step up all around.
Thanks

I just bought a Yoder this past weekend too - a Yoder Loaded Wichita. After the initial burn-off and seasoning, I've done 2 smokes in it this week so far (the week is still early��); chickens on Tuesday and pork butt yesterday. The hardest thing I've had to get used to is how hot and how efficient this beast runs....if that makes any sense.
Can you give me any advise on how to stay ahead of the fire.....meaning, keeping a consistent hot fire while avoiding big swings in temperature? Prior to this smoker, I was smoking on a mass produced, made in China of thin tin model for 15 years, so this is a MAJOR step up all around.
Thanks

I'll send you a PM so we don't hijack this post.

I'm new to the forum, and have been looking around for a new pellet smokers. Man you convinced me. As soon as I sell pitzilla I'm ordering one! Thanks for doing such a thorough review. It really helps when trying to make a big decision between smokers you don't have the opportunity to use until you buy one.

Have you ever used your cooker with a battery/inverter setup? If so, what sized inverter did you use? (wattage wise)

Have you ever used your cooker with a battery/inverter setup? If so, what sized inverter did you use? (wattage wise)

I never have. I know Herb over on the Yoder forum has a battery pack and inverter setup that he's happy with for stand alone power so he doesn't have to worry about iffy comp power. If you manually ignite the pit it uses very little power so I assume that setup would work well and safely.

Back