Pork Chop Brine

R

rcubed3r

I bought a whole pork loin from Sam's and I'm going to cut it into THICK chops to smoke on Saturday.
These will occasionally dry out on me. Can anyone recommend a simple brine that I can soak these in for 24 hours or so?

Should I cut into chops and then brine, or brine the whole loin?

I thought I would give them a wrap of bacon before cooking, and I'd also like to make some kind of sauce, maybe with wine or chutney.....Any ideas on that?

Thank you!
Ron

I did a tenderloin last weekend. Brined it for about 4 hours in brown sugar, salt, garlic powder and dried sage.

I then dried it off. Rubbed it in a mix of olive oil, maples syrup, water (just to thin it a bit) and sage. Wrapped it in bacon and roasted it. Don't see why it can't be done on the smoker.
Also the last 10 minutes I basted it with a mixture of balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.

Very Simple Brine

1 gal water
1 c sugar
1 c kosher salt

if you want to add complexity, sub the water for apple juice, and add a tablespoon of garlic powder or crushed garlic cloves, black peppercorns, and a few cut up lemons/limes and some fresh herbs that you like.

I use:

1/2 gal water
1/2 gal apple juice
1 c brown sugar
3/4 c kosher salt
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2-3 T of rub

For pork. Cut the proportions if you don't need a whole gallon. For the whole loin brine over night, for chops brine for one or two hours depending on how thick you cut them.

Here's my favorite pork chop brine for thick chops, but I don't know about brining such a small cut for 24 hours. The surface to mass ratio should eliminate the need for such a long brine.

2 cups apple juice
2 cups water
3/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup coarse kosher salt

Last edited:
this is one of AB's brines and it is by far my favorite brine for chops

5 thick loin-end pork chops (can use less, or use what ever cut pork you wish)
3/4 cup kosher salt (DO NOT use regular white table salt!)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon mustard powder (do not use prepared mustard!)
2 cups cider vinegar (heated until hot)
1 lb ice cube

Directions
1In a large plastic container with a lid, put the salt, peppercorns and mustard powder; add in the HOT vinegar and swirl to dissolve the sugar and salt completely.
2Let the mixture stand for 20 minutes at room temperature to develop flavor.
3Add in the ice cubes and shake to melt most of the ice.
4Add in the pork chops, making certain that the meat is completely covered with the brine.
5Cover with lid and refrigerate for 2 hours (NO MORE than 2 hours!).
6Rinse the pork well under cold water before cooking.
7Cook as desired.

the timing is very much imperative, if you leave it over 2 hours it will taste like a salt block, otherwise, its awesome

Back