deep fryer basket for charcoal basket

reddrum

Im thinking about building my first UDS or atleast helping a friend build it and I have a couple deep fryer baskets that I never used and was thinking about just using one of those for the charcoal basket. The basket I was thinking about using is roughly 12in deep and probally about the same in circumfrence. Didnt know if anyone has ever used this type of basket for the charcoal or not. Ive looked at the UDS thread but was just wondering if anyone would think this would work. This would be one less thing I would have to worry about getting welded

Ought to work. Not sure how long it will last, but if it's not being used for anything else its worth a try.

Nice thing about the UDS is there is no preset way of making them. They are a haven for hodge-podge ideas like this.

I buy the replacement baskets from Academy for all my new drums and they hold up fine. I havent had to replace one yet.

If welding is the only reason you are considering using the fryer basket, you can use bolts & washers through the expanded metal too...

Either way you decide to go, I would highly recommend using the pizza pan & spring clip mod for ash retrieval!

Back