Open Faced- No Meat- ABT's

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
DSC05380JPGx.jpg

For this batch I used cream cheese with chives, garlic and Dizzy Dust; added sun dried tomatoes, then topped with some yellow cheese. With no bacon for protection and oil, I blanched the cleaned peppers for a few minutes and oiled the skin. This knocks some of the heat out, but gives them the bit of head start they need. (If you don't want a "milder" ABT, just mince a fresh pepper and mix into the cream cheese, or even add some seeds)

DSC05366JPGx.jpg

DSC05371JPGxx.jpg

Nice pron. thirdeye. Looking to try some ABT's for the first time, this weekend, with the bacon wrap, how long do you keep them in the smoke for?
I have seen anywhere from one to two hours. What do you look for as far as being done.

Nice pron. thirdeye. Looking to try some ABT's for the first time, this weekend, with the bacon wrap, how long do you keep them in the smoke for?
I have seen anywhere from one to two hours. What do you look for as far as being done.

DSC03267a.jpg

Go for the El-Cheapo, really thin bacon. It gives you a nice tight wrap. (wrap toward you and stretch as you go) when it's browned up, you are done. I do the halves and mine usually take about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the pit temp.

DSC03287a.jpg

DSC03291a.jpg

If you put the halves back together and then wrap (or use thicker bacon) they will take a tick longer. At any rate, the fillings are all cooked, just watch the bacon.

ABT6.jpg

Thanks thirdeye, great visual, as always. I will post some pron when I do make them.

I smoked 60 boats last night for a friend's family! I am at work and the camera is at home. Doing 60 more tonight for a human resources fair tomorrow. I will post pics later tonight. Stay tuned!

Back