Jalapeno Jelly

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We made almost 100 jars of jalapeno jelly today. They will be used for wedding reception favors when my son and his finance marry in September.
1. My future daughter-in-law with her stylish Brethren apron
2. Jalapeno juice. I thought I had a pic of the bell pepper juice, but you get the idea
3. Juicing station. I did the jalapeno outside and the bell peppers in the kitchen
4. Some of the finished product. We had 84 4oz. jars along with some 8oz. and 10oz. "extras". We have people waiting for their deliveries of the "extras".
5. Initial staging of the wet and dry ingredients. We later moved the "wet" stuff to the table to measure out.

Attachments

• DSCN0547.jpg
    DSCN0547.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN0545.jpg
    DSCN0545.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0544.jpg
    DSCN0544.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0549.jpg
    DSCN0549.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0548.jpg
    DSCN0548.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 110
love the stuff, even on toast with butter.

I never tried making it though. What do you do simmer the pepper juice with apple peels or something to get the pectin?

I may have to try this.

love the stuff, even on toast with butter.

I never tried making it though. What do you do simmer the pepper juice with apple peels or something to get the pectin?

I may have to try this.

The recipe is somewhere in our forum recipe vault.
No, I use Certo pectin. Each batch uses 6 cups of sugar, 1.5 cups of cider vinegar, 3/4 cup bell pepper juice, 1/4 cup jalapeno juice, and 6 oz. of pectin. This makes about 7, 8oz. jars.

Ooooooooh, I wanna attend this wedding and get a jar. :thumb: Great job Dave.:clap2: You jap jelly is legendary on this board. :cool:

Wish I could have done this in a commercial kitchen with a steam kettle!! 8 batches on the stove with each batch taking about 30 minutes made for a full day.

We "had" to go to Tampa and Ybor City for dinner at the Columbia Restaurant. Of course, we were meeting with the event planner for the rehearsal dinner!! Great appetizers and had their famous (it really is!) 1905 Salad with garlic shrimp!! Great day all around!

YUMMEE lookin jelly.I never used just the juice.We always grind the peppers through a fine plate and make it using the finely ground peppers in the mix.I like your method.

Looks like some great jelly, wish I could try some. Give your son a congratulatory pat on the back for the upcoming wedding!:cool:

The recipe is somewhere in our forum recipe vault.
No, I use Certo pectin. Each batch uses 6 cups of sugar, 1.5 cups of cider vinegar, 3/4 cup bell pepper juice, 1/4 cup jalapeno juice, and 6 oz. of pectin. This makes about 7, 8oz. jars.
Our recipe is very similar, except we use red bell pepper and jalapeno peppers that are chopped fine in a food processor instead of only the juice. I love pepper jelly!

Shoot man, I am just up the road. Looks like I know what wedding I will be crashing....lol :thumb:

Wow! That's a lot of work! great job! Those folks are very lucky to get something home made as a favor!

Nice work..... wanna try this sometime, along with canning some bread & butter Jalapenos....... Recipe here somewhere?

Man, that sure looks like some great favors, I like jalapeno jelly

Looks great!

My recipe uses just jalapenos, first time we made it in the house my eyes burned for two days. :becky:

Thanks for the comments.
Over the years we've done jelly with ground jalapenos, blendered jalapenos, etc. and when I got my $2.00 thrift-shop juicer we found the way we like to do it.
We've done this with red or yellow bells and the results were fantastic. We don't grow our own so they are usually too expensive for jelly.
I've also done habanero and datil pepper jelly with pretty good results. Once you get the base recipe down mixing up different pepper combos is easy.

The original recipe I use was from my Aunt Faye:

6 C sugar
1.5 C cider vinegar
3/4 C bell pepper juice
1/4 C jalapeno juice
1/4 tsp salt
6 oz. Certo pectin

We juice the peppers with an old style electric juicer. This can be done in a blender or by grinding. The results may be more pulp in the jelly but there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

In a LARGE pot (this stuff boils up a lot and is like napalm) mix and whisk the vinegar, juices, sugar and salt.
Bring to a hard boil for 1 minute
Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes
Stir in the Certo (you can use other brands, Certo is just more readily available around here) and let sit another 10 minutes.
Skim the top of the impurities.
Can in sterilized jars. We usually use 8 oz. Ball or Kerr jars.
We don't do a water bath on jelly since its canned hot and in sterilzed jars.

This makes up about 7, 8 oz. jars.

Enjoy.

Back