BGE: Butt - Round 2

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK guys, here goes round 2 of my Big Green Egg butt. My last attempt didn't go so well, but I was being ridiculously complacent. Not this time; nope, I'm going to watch this baby like a hawk.

I'm starting off with a decent butt. I injected with Harry Soo's recipe. There are 2 cups of injection in this 9lb butt.
IMG_3856.jpg

I rubbed it down and put it in a very large ziplock bag. Injection tends to leak out and this keeps things tidy. I pulled it out of the bag while the cooker was stoking and put some more rub on.
IMG_3858.jpg

Woops, how did that get in here. :clap2:
Puppy.jpg

Meat on the fire.
IMG_0962.jpg

I've got my Stoker running this time. No way I'm going to wake up at 8:00 and find my meat temp <140 again. It's pissing rain. I had intended to do this before getting my new EZ-Up today, but there's no way that would have happened.
IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Stokerlog.jpg

Screenshot2010-12-28at103746PM.jpg

stay tuned...

Last edited:
Don't give up... you have the gear... all that's left is the cooking, the learning, and the eating.

Now that's an adorable puppy!!!!

Like a hawk??? Brother, you're watching that like the CIA! :heh: It's gonna come out great!!!

Cheers!

@Bandit: Thanks. I couldn't help myself. I love that dog so much it's all I can do not to talk about her all day long. :-D
@Phrasty: Yeah, I got stupid when I first got the egg a couple of weeks ago. Dropped and butts on and went to bed. I've always watched my cooks and never had a bad butt. Of course that was a huge lesson learned.

By the way guys, I've never seen a temp line like this on StokerLog. It's dead straight. My WSM log always looks like a Richter scale.

I'm not sure why, but my edit option is gone, so I'll have to just post updates at the end.

Good cook so far. The wind has been really bad, but my EZUp hasn't flown away and everything is still standing. My WSM would have been TOAST in this wind. There's something to be said for the being able to grab my phone off the nightstand and check my meat temp. I probably did this 8 time over the night. I've come a long way since my first butt cook, when I would good out 300 times over 12 hours and write every temp down on a piece of paper. I could take it a step further and have the log alert when the meat hits 165, but I'd rather keep an eye on things in case the wind blows my stuff over.

The meat went on at 10:08 PM. I killed my StokerLog session by mistake so it picked things up 30 minutes later.
Stoker2.jpg

Opened the Egg up when the meat hit 165 to find this. It was exactly 8 hours into the cook with the grid temp at exactly 250F. I didn't spritz, though I always have in the past. The crust looks a *LOT* better this way. Thanks Harry!
IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

I added a little bit of liquid, foiled and put it back on the Egg.
IMG_0969.jpg

...and now it's back to bed for me.

You guys are too kind.

@nrok: Thanks for the compliment. I have only made butts on the WSM in the past and spritzed every 30 min with Apple juice. This is my first butt without a water pan and I haven't spritzed once and have never had better bark. This is also my first injected butt and the first time that I haven't used a mustard slather. Lots of firsts going on here. :-D

Good cook so far. The wind has been really bad, but my EZUp hasn't flown away and everything is still standing. My WSM would have been TOAST in this wind. There's something to be said for the being able to grab my phone off the nightstand and check my meat temp. I probably did this 8 time over the night. I've come a long way since my first butt cook, when I would good out 300 times over 12 hours and write every temp down on a piece of paper. I could take it a step further and have the log alert when the meat hits 165, but I'd rather keep an eye on things in case the wind blows my stuff over.

Looks great Dave! Glad to hear the wind didn't blow over your EZ-Up!

Thanks for the Stoker log graphs. That's something I have yet to do with my Stoker (I need to get a wireless bridge). Interesting how the steady your Egg temps were from 00:15 - 03:30 when it starts to have some swings of +/-10 degrees when I imagine the Stoker is kicking in as needed.

I really need to use the Stoker log so I can see how much variation I get in temps and I will be making the "Boshizzle Mod" to my fan to see if slight adjustments to the max airflow can decrease the size of the swings.

What time is lunch :hungry: looks great from here.

Tim - I'm on your way to Danville, please pick me up! :becky:

looks great looking butt dave if you need help getting rid of it we can swing by and bring some sticky pickles and a bun and leave fulll just sayin lol

Just pulled the butt. I think it was a perfect cook, but we'll have to wait and see what happens when I pull it.

There wasn't much wind early on and then it really picked up. My gasket is blown, and the Egg was riding high, so I closed the top vent a little. I think it caused the Egg to need a lot more help staying hot. I had the top daisy wheel open 1/2 way originally and shut them down to about 1/4. It also got really windy at around 03:00, so that could certainly have something to do with it.

The real swings came after I foiled, so I have no idea what's going on there. There was a lot of wind when I foiled, but it quickly calmed down. I'll have to go check my vent and see if it slipped when I opened the lid.

stoker3.jpg

It looks great! Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

I'd call that a success.

Cheers,
Braddog

LOVE that mod John, thanks for the link. I'm doing that for sure.

OneHump......may I ask what your rub is? Looks great and produces a real nice bark!!

I'll be cooking a butt on the egg sometime Friday night....I've got a cherry
pomegranate habanera glaze that I will finish it off with but haven't figured out a rub to use quite yet.

I was planning on no water pan or spritzing either in order to get a better bark but I'm also no going to foil it this time (will be a first for me). However, I have always used mustard to help the rub stick.....why did you leave the mustard off this time?

I'll be there in about 3 hours, Save me some.......OK
Good looking butt :thumb:

Looking forward to finished pics (if you're posting them). I'm sure it was a success!:thumb:

Back