The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

If i was coming from a Shirley, I would be looking at Pitts & Spitts, MAK and Yoder in that order.

Hi I went with a Rec Tec 590.So far best choice I made in along time. I did a 10 Hr over night the 590 held 225* all night long.
DanB

Hey all, thanks for the help. I figured it out and things are rockin and rollin now. I wanted to at least give an update in case anybody reads this down the road. To get the actual pit temp correct I was messing with the minimum feed rate setting but it was actually the offset calibration that I needed to adjust. Once I changed that it's dead on the money between the PID and the Thermoworks Signals now.

Also using the "Low/Xtreme Smoke" setting really helps get some smoke on the meat before turning the heat up. I've made chicken, steak, and burgers so far and the xtreme setting works really well. The ground brisket burger I made tonight might have been the best burger I ever made. I'm excited about this new pit. Between the build quality and ease of use I think it's going to be a great addition to the arsenal.

Thanks again everybody.

wings on my pit boss with a variety of rubs

left to right; Frank's redhot seasoning, lemon pepper, simply marvelous sweet and spicy, oakridge crucible and oakridge smokey chile lime

6RGmPMqh.jpg

RvXk7lwh.jpg

I thought this thread was dead?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought this thread was dead?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I brought it back from the grave. I dont really do cook threads like I used to so I often just find random threads to post a cook pic here and there

g3NffwUh.jpg

If you want to bring a thread back to life you have to check the box nothing it's an old thread at the bottom.

Figuring out a Yoder YS640s. Maybe a little too long? Sure tastes good though!
I had bought this prime brisket for $2.79/lb so I went and severely trimmed the fat only leaving a little between the flat and the point.
Injected with the amazingribs.com recipe for beef, and seasoned with John Henry Texas Brisket Rub and some fresh cracked pepper. Wrapped at 175 and pulled at 200/205 when probing easily.
With it trimmed so severely, I should have just cut up the point and called it good but I put it back on. Didn't need to and kind of dried out the burnt ends. :(
Plenty of moisture and flavor in the flat with the injection.

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_120246542.jpg
    IMG_20200801_120246542.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20200801_133826140.jpg
    IMG_20200801_133826140.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20200801_133835159.jpg
    IMG_20200801_133835159.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Figuring out a Yoder YS640s. Maybe a little too long? Sure tastes good though!
I had bought this prime brisket for $2.79/lb so I went and severely trimmed the fat only leaving a little between the flat and the point.
Injected with the amazingribs.com recipe for beef, and seasoned with John Henry Texas Brisket Rub and some fresh cracked pepper. Wrapped at 175 and pulled at 200/205 when probing easily.
With it trimmed so severely, I should have just cut up the point and called it good but I put it back on. Didn't need to and kind of dried out the burnt ends. :(
Plenty of moisture and flavor in the flat with the injection.

I did a brisket two 4th of Julys ago that was over like that, wouldn't hold a slice. I add some of my brisket sauce, au jus and bbq sauce, and served it as chopped beef. nobody even knew it wasnt right.

I don't want to start a new thread for this.......

This is from a Camp Chef review by Baby Back Maniac. To me, I don't own a pellet smoker, this fire pot clean out seems like a very good feature. But if so, why aren't other manufacturers doing this ?

Its got to be better than dragging out the Shop Vac unless there's a downside I don't know of

Vid should start with BBM explaining the feature, or thereabouts

https://youtu.be/bCwa6YrE0iw?t=733

This is from a Camp Chef review by Baby Back Maniac. To me, I don't own a pellet smoker, this fire pot clean out seems like a very good feature. But if so, why aren't other manufacturers doing this ?

Its got to be better than dragging out the Shop Vac unless there's a downside I don't know of

Takes me about 5 minutes to vac my pellet grills. I don't find it much of a hassle at all.

I would be a fan of this addition to others. I normally vacuum out my firepot after a bag of pellets (which is when I vacuum the whole grill out). I believe this addition would make it so you could do it way less often. However, not sure if that would be a good thing for the life of the grill.

I like the Camp Chef sliding door ash clean-out system a lot. I also like the door on my Outlaw OL450. The Camp Chef lets you do a quick dump of the ash in the fire pot, but it leaves the ash in the rest of the pit. The Outlaw lets you get a vacuum into the pit without removing the drip pan and grates, but it's more of a hassle to get ash out of the burn basket itself. You have to reach in, pull parts out from under the heat deflector, etc. On balance I think I prefer the system on the Outlaw, but the quick dump on the Camp Chef is a close second. Both are much better than nothing, which is what you get from most other brands.

thumbnail_IMG_2028.jpg

Hi all -
I am looking to buy a pellet grill in the near future. I have narrowed it down to P&S, MAK, or Blazin'. How durable and reliable are the P&S Grills? I know they are built like tanks but are there issues with rust, ignitors, wonky controller issues? Any pictures of a loaded up 850 showing capacity?

Priorities:
Good Food
Reliable (I don't want to have to deal with any issues or have to "hack" it to get it to work)
Well built and durable. I don't want to have sand and paint. It will live outdoors in New England near the coast so it will see snow and rain.
Smoking 90%
Grilling/Searing 10%

Food I want to cook:
Ribs, Butt, Brisket, Chickens, Turkey, Wings, Thighs, reverse sear steaks and chops. Roasts.

Prices:
P&S 850 SS all in no wifi $3375 (includes shipping)

MAK 2 Star all in with Door $3300

So close!

I have a EX BGE, WSCG, DCS Gasser, and a Cabinet Smoker.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have narrowed it down to P&S, MAK, or Blazin'. !

Those are great pellet cookers. Can't go wrong with any of them. Have you checked out Outlaw? IMO it should definitely be on your list.

Edit: if corrosion is a big concern the P&S all-stainless should top your list IMO.

Hi all -
I am looking to buy a pellet grill in the near future. I have narrowed it down to P&S, MAK, or Blazin'. How durable and reliable are the P&S Grills? I know they are built like tanks but are there issues with rust, ignitors, wonky controller issues? Any pictures of a loaded up 850 showing capacity?

Priorities:
Good Food
Reliable (I don't want to have to deal with any issues or have to "hack" it to get it to work)
Well built and durable. I don't want to have sand and paint. It will live outdoors in New England near the coast so it will see snow and rain.
Smoking 90%
Grilling/Searing 10%
I have a EX BGE, WSCG, DCS Gasser, and a Cabinet Smoker.
Thanks!

"I dont want to sand and paint" - where you live, you will need a Stainless Steel unit IMO. I have owned Yoder, Memphis Elite, and GMG pellet grills. Yoder rusted pretty good and I am in Virginia NOT near the coast...its not going to rust through, but it is an eye sore and needs maintenance. The 304SS of a Memphis or similar will not rust...there are other issues with keeping them clean and shiny, etc...I would recommend you look at Mak 1 or 2 star...they are SS and Aluminum that shouldnt rust out and the performance, from most all accounts, is hard to beat.

Back