THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3. Where should I start with pellets? I do mostly pork and chicken and some hamburgers. I am concerned about getting enough smoke, but I've traditionally avoided hickory and oak.

Thank you to all!

You're going to want a pellet tube and some hickory pellets. Pellet smoke is very mild. Cherry, apple, maple, etc don't put much smoke on by themselves. Need some oak or hickory, even for poultry. Personally I like to load the pellet tube with wood chips. Burns faster but smells much better than pellet smoke.

If it were my money, I would look at a REC TEC. I have no experience with REC TEC, but they seem to be the bang for the buck. I have a MAK 2 Star General and a Camp Chef. The Camp Chef is junk so I use the MAK 100% of the time. I have been happy with Bear Mountain Pellets, I use the mixed blend and Apple. At the beginning of the pandemic, I ran out and got some Tragger Pellets as that is what I had access to. I picked up their mixed variety blend which I think is Cherry, Maple and Hickory and I really liked them.

I went Grilla... slight larger cooking surface, the depth of the RT with the hopper in the back was challenging for me, and I'm not a fan of the horns :)

Grilla has been great so far. I'll add wifi one day, but it seems like there aren't many companies with wifi that works too well.

Thank you!

@MattGoose check out CookinPellets perfect mix, they are running a 7 bag bulk special until Saturday. Use BBQ B coupon code. Bear Mountain and Lumberjack are good too.

Welcome to the Pellet side, I promise you won't miss your Kamado! I don't miss mine.

Thank you! I'm 2/3 through my first bag, with more on the way.

My wife will kill me if I drop the $175 all at once, even if it is half of the Amazon price :)

Unless I can find a local distributor, a buck a pound through Amazon is good enough....

I went Grilla... slight larger cooking surface, the depth of the RT with the hopper in the back was challenging for me, and I'm not a fan of the horns :)

Grilla has been great so far. I'll add wifi one day, but it seems like there aren't many companies with wifi that works too well.

Thank you!
Grilla is currently working on wifi, will be done later this year. Controller is suppose to adapt to older models if wanted.
Info here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdA2IZzXxdc

Thank you!
Good luck!

If it were my money, I would look at a REC TEC. I have no experience with REC TEC, but they seem to be the bang for the buck. I have a MAK 2 Star General and a Camp Chef. The Camp Chef is junk so I use the MAK 100% of the time. I have been happy with Bear Mountain Pellets, I use the mixed blend and Apple. At the beginning of the pandemic, I ran out and got some Tragger Pellets as that is what I had access to. I picked up their mixed variety blend which I think is Cherry, Maple and Hickory and I really liked them.

I am looking at the RecTec, Pitts&Spitts and YS640, also a used MAK2, the RT is like half the money and the best warranty- I really want the MAK based on “reportedly” better smoke production but am leery of that much money without a warranty (used). I am interested in why you recommend the RT? Just value for $$ ?
Lou

I am looking at the RecTec, Pitts&Spitts and YS640, also a used MAK2, the RT is like half the money and the best warranty- I really want the MAK based on “reportedly” better smoke production but am leery of that much money without a warranty (used). I am interested in why you recommend the RT? Just value for $$ ?
Lou
His recommendation is based off the buyers $800 spending limit, as a MAK owner for 2 years now and have burned more than a ton of pellets which equates to roughly over 2000hrs of cooking with never a problem, I would tell you that MAK 2 Star is a bargain but buy what you want to buy. I have a good friend who has a Rec Tec RT 680 and his next Pellet Grill is going to be a MAK, keeps asking me when I'm going to sell mine.

The guy selling that MAK is absolutely telling the truth and going to buy another one, it will only be his 4th one, he should work for MAK because he has sold a bunch of grills for them.

As a newer MAK owner. I really love it. The quality is great, it’s easy to clean, the smoke profile is very good & it grills great! Plus, they have the best customer support I’ve ever dealt with.

Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All Hi All I was thinking of selling my Shirley 24x36 Patio smoker and getting a pellet grill. I was looking at Weber Smokefire, but with all the problems, I had to back off.
The Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX Pellet Grill,is starting to sound real good to me.
So I would like to hear from some of you that already have one.
Thanks DanB.

Hi All I went with the Rec Tec 590 just the right size for me & my wife.
Did an over night brisket 10 hrs the 590 held temps really good. I like it alot.
Smoke flavor could have been better,otherwise a good choice by me.:clap2:
Only problem so far is the Wifi my routers WiFi doesn't reach the grill.I'm working with a WiFi extender to solve the problem , but the extender is MPIA to set up.:doh:
DanB

Finally got my hands on a butt. Did absolutely nothing special to try and establish a baseline. Had some Byron's Butt rub (essentially SPOG) and put it on the night before. Took the butt out of the fridge around 7 and on the grill around 9.

The simplistic ease of the pellet grill is amazing. Hit the button and 20 minutes later you're ready. No more lump and lighters and BBQ gurus and waiting and waiting for it to come to temp and not overshoot.

Cook ran from around 9 to 7 at 250 with apple juice spritzes from time to time. I did a full days worth of stuff - work, took care of two kids, taught two kids, etc. and never had to touch the grill. Or think about it, which was huge.

There are definitely some things I want to work on. There's a lot of space to grow with the rub. I'd like to try and lay down some more smoke at a lower temp at the beginning. From reading the other thread, I'd like to try injecting the next one.

But. I've eaten a lot of pulled pork and I've made a lot of pulled pork. This was the first time that the pork was good enough to stand alone. Some raw onion, a tiny touch of BBQ sauce and hot sauce as toppings and that's it. If I had apple cider vinegar, I'd have thinned out the sauce.

I let it cool too far before pulling it, which I'll fix next time. But the bites I pulled off around 140 or so were some of the best pulled pork I've had.

The butt looks a little odd in the last picture - we had some guys working at the house and they said they were tortured working around it all day, so I pulled off half :)

We'll see if the rose colored glasses hold up the second time :)

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Nicely done Matt! Mine gets up to temp so quickly that I just hit the on button and throw the meat on as soon as I see the first puff of smoke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Finally got my hands on a butt. Did absolutely nothing special to try and establish a baseline. Had some Byron's Butt rub (essentially SPOG) and put it on the night before. Took the butt out of the fridge around 7 and on the grill around 9.

The simplistic ease of the pellet grill is amazing. Hit the button and 20 minutes later you're ready. No more lump and lighters and BBQ gurus and waiting and waiting for it to come to temp and not overshoot.

Cook ran from around 9 to 7 at 250 with apple juice spritzes from time to time. I did a full days worth of stuff - work, took care of two kids, taught two kids, etc. and never had to touch the grill. Or think about it, which was huge.

There are definitely some things I want to work on. There's a lot of space to grow with the rub. I'd like to try and lay down some more smoke at a lower temp at the beginning. From reading the other thread, I'd like to try injecting the next one.

But. I've eaten a lot of pulled pork and I've made a lot of pulled pork. This was the first time that the pork was good enough to stand alone. Some raw onion, a tiny touch of BBQ sauce and hot sauce as toppings and that's it. If I had apple cider vinegar, I'd have thinned out the sauce.

I let it cool too far before pulling it, which I'll fix next time. But the bites I pulled off around 140 or so were some of the best pulled pork I've had.

The butt looks a little odd in the last picture - we had some guys working at the house and they said they were tortured working around it all day, so I pulled off half :)

We'll see if the rose colored glasses hold up the second time :)

View attachment 181749

View attachment 181750

View attachment 181751

View attachment 181752

Appears you and the Grilla are gonna get along just fine :)

Lou
I sent you a PM!!

Hey all, after cooking on everything from trash cans to stick burners I finally got my first pellet cooker yesterday, a Rec Tec RT700. My feelings are mixed so far but it is a really well made pit. My biggest gripe is that the controller temp is not the actual temp in the pit, it's consistently off by 50* no matter if I'm cooking low or high. It's not a show stopper but for the price I would hope it at least be within range.

And as expected the smoke flavor is so light I can't taste it but I have a Klose if I want to roll smoke. I bought it mostly to have the push button convenience of a gasser but with *some* smoke. I've only had it two days so I'm still learning it and like meeting a new woman that's half the fun! Cheers everybody, happy grilling this Memorial Day weekend!

If you get a Rec Tec you gotta get the comp cart, man it looks nice!
057sig1.jpg

Temp variance.
NApOog5.jpg

That temp variance is fixable. Check your manual or call Rec Tec.

Thanks Speeed. I'm going to turn down the feed rate and test it tonight. Cheers!

Minumum Feed Rate
Due to varying qualities of pellet brands, we
give you the ability to adjust your minimum
feed rate downward in the event that your
grill is running hot at lower temperatures.
However, if you experience a sudden loss, followed by
an immediate increase, in grill temperature then your
grill has experienced a flame out and automatically
relit. This signifies that your minimum feed rate was
adjusted too low and needs to be increased.

Back