Thawing and Cooking Question...

S

Stiltz6ft9in

WHat would be the best way to thaw a frozen 2lb Brisket Flat and then how long do you think it would take to smoke?

Yep, thaw it gently.

That small a flat I'd season, wrap with bacon, and cook gently at 225-250. Get some good color on it (about 2 hours) and then I'd definately wrap it in foil and continue cooking until tender.

The general rule with brisket is 1-1.5 hours per pound, but that's for a packer with lots of fat and connective tissue.

I've had good success with flats in the past, but I haven't done one in a long time. Watch it like a hawk or it'll get dried out.

Could I spray it with something? I going to rub it with mustard, season it and cook it. I don't have any apple juice, so is there something else I could spray with?

I've also used a cast iron griddle/skillet to get the thaw going. Something about setting frozen stuff on cast iron expediates the thaw. This is just on the counter, not over a heat source.

Keep it out of the sun, and check it every 20-30 minutes to see how the thaw is progressing (I set a timer). Put it in the fridge to finish up or if you get worried about it setting out too long.

I found a 1.68 lb. brisket 'remnant' at Kroger last weekend - it came out of the pack, rubbed with Plowboys Bovine Bold and onto the smoker. It was on at 250 +/- for 2 hours, sprayed a couple of times with AJ/Tattoo, then foiled with more spray and left on for another 1.5 hours at 225. Juicy, tender, and it made excellent sammich stuffs. :)

I got it thawed, rubbed and wrapped in bacon. Waiting for the pit to come up to temp...

Back