Dumb Question

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I normally start my charcoal in a chimney with newspaper or paper towels with a little veg oil on them. I was looking at using the weber paraffin cubes, but have a question. It looks like the paraffin cubes will sit too low under the charcoal in the chimney to light it. Am I correct? If so, what do you do?

As I understand it, those cubes get up to 1300* F so just putting them under the chimney should be enough.

Here is a pic to illustrate.

chimney_cutaway.jpg

i've used all sorts of crap to light the chimney. from newspaper to sternos.

i'll NEVER use anything else after trying the weber cubes.

BTW, you only need to use one.

You can invert the grate in the chimney to bring the charcoal closer to the heat source, It will also make it easier to light a small amount of charcoal if needed.

The best way to light your chimney is with paper towel & oil. Yeah, it's not as "clean" but you'll forget about those cubes in no time. (I USED to use them) :wink:

Cheers

The best way to light your chimney is with paper towel & oil. Yeah, it's not as "clean" but you'll forget about those cubes in no time. (I USED to use them) :wink:

Cheers

Actually, the best way is the side burner on my Weber gasser. I have to use it for something :-D

The cubes work great, and one is all you need. I prefer them because there is little to no cleanup behind them.

Sometimes I start with a little paper, and then pop in a cube or two. Works fine, too.

I use the weber cubes I stack two on top of each other works great :thumb:

Ditto on the cubes, been using them for 7 years.

I'm with RonL, the side burner of my chargriller duo is a great place to light up the chimney and than I load any of my grills from there. Neat, no clean up, and chemical residue freee, plus no looking for lighters, matches or newspapers.

Lola

Can't answer that but if your interested in a really fast light of you charcoal starter just get a weed burner. You can actually light the coals in seconds. I'll never go back.

Can't answer that but if your interested in a really fast light of you charcoal starter just get a weed burner. You can actually light the coals in seconds. I'll never go back.

Me too! weed burner rocks!!!

I use a weed burner now or I use wadded up newspaper and drizzle oil on it, just depends on my mood and how fast I need to get it going. I don't care for chimney starters.
Dave

I started using them this summer. I put one or two in the bottom of the chimney, and light them. Never tried putting one under the chimney though. I am starting to wonder if I even need the chimney when I get the grill fired up. At any rate, I have not had any problems with them. Actually, I have had pretty consistent results

i second what RonL and Lola said, i use the side burner on the gas grill. Its really the only thing i use the old gasser for. As for the cubes, i've used them in the chimney as illustrated with success, but the side burner works best for me and its quicker.

Back