BGE - improvised top lifter device?

TactTm1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Long story Short: I plan to use my broken but pieced-together Lg BGE as a charcoal holder, however it does not have a band, spring or lift handle. Any ideas on what I can use to lift the top off the base without a big hassle? :confused:

I am thinking of one of those metal 'x's that hang from a string.

Any help?

Thx,

TT1

WTF??? :confused: I'm not gonna ask you why you're using a broken-but-pieced-together BGE for a charcoal holder - but I am wondering.....

You could drill and mount two lift handles opposite each other and lift the top off rather than hinge it back. Use a ceramic/glass bit and find a couple stainless handles to mount.

Brewer, that might be just the ticket... I didn't even think about being able to drill holes, but with that bit, I should be OK.:idea:

I may have mentioned this quite a long time ago somewhere on the forum, but that BGE was a gift from my late Mother, and when I knocked it over I was emotionally crushed. I canabalized some of the unbroken parts - fire box, plate setter, band and spring and the local dealer gave me a great price on replacing the rest!
Using tips on this board about JB Weld, I have been able to put it togther with most of the cracks facing the back and it looks pretty good. Since I won't be cooking on it and I need a place to store supplies and maybe a bag of lump, I figured why not make a storage bin out of it!

See, it really isn't that too far fetched or crazy after all!

Back