The quest for a better pizza dough

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
So I've been making my own pizza dough for a couple of years now.
I found a pretty common recipe that I use and I like the taste of it, but I'd prefer it to be a little different texture.

I know part of my issue is my cooking method. I cook pies most of the time in the oven at as high a temp as I can get (500dF). I cook them on these 'air bake' cookie sheets that don't burn, but also don't brown the bottom of the crust very well. When I have taken the time to cook them on a stone on my kettle at a higher temp, they crisp up nicer on the bottom. I can deal with the 'un-crispiness' of the pies, but I'd like my dough to be a little bit lighter or 'fluffier'.

I thought I'd put up a thread.......you know what? Actually my WIFE suggested I put up a thread about it here to get opinions from others with more experience. Plus, if there's anyone else out there with a similar quest to refine their homemade pizza dough a little more to their liking, what the heck?

Brothers jassybadger and landarc have both helped me out here and there with dough already. This is my process that I've developed starting from a recipe book and then tweaking my technique. If you know dough and recognize something that I can tweak, please do.

So here's my pizza dough recipe:

7 cups AP flour
1 1/2-2 TBS salt, mixed in with dry flour
2 1/2 cups luke warm water (I usually use tap water)
4 1/2 tsp yeast (or 2 of the envelopes, but I buy the bigger jar of yeast)
1 TBS Turbinado sugar
4 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I stir the sugar, yeast and oil into the water with a whisk until everything is dissolved and then I let it sit so the yeast can proof a bit. I keep my yeast in the freezer to keep it fresh/dormant.

Once the bubbles show up in the wet ingredients, I pour it into the middle of my flour/salt, which has been spread out onto my counter top with a large well in the middle to hold the wet stuff. I work it together around the perimeter with a fork until enough flour has been worked in that I can start handling it with my hands without it sticking to me, then I in fold and knead it and incorporate as much of the flour as I can, which is almost all, if not all of it. I USUALLY only knead probably about 20 strokes or so, or a couple of minutes. I tighten it into a ball, put it in an oiled bowl, turned once to coat and let it rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours in a barely warmed oven until it's risen, then I turn it out onto the floured counter, punch it down and portion it. I usually punch and knead it until all of the air is out of it. Out of this much dough, I get 6 pizzas.

Here's the one thing I do that I'm pretty sure isn't helping my situation, but I can't figure out how else to pull it off.

When I make my pizzas, I roll the dough on the counter to get it big enough. I usually try and get a 12" diameter pie out of 1/6th of this recipe. I've tried to hand form the dough, but can usually only manage to get about an 8" dia pie. I've even tried to figure out how to toss the dough and/or work it, holding it by the edge, pulling it with each hand laterally and letting the dough stretch down below my hands and turning it around and around. None of these 3 techniques seem to work without tearing a hole into the dough from getting it too thin or just not being able to work it evenly.

SO....I roll it out.

I put the dough onto the 'air bake' cookie sheets that have been covered with corn meal. This helps from sticking.

Then I bake at 500d until bubbling cheesy goodness. We have a double oven and we usually do 4 pizzas at once, 2 in each oven. My ovens have 4 positions for racks. I put the pies on the bottom and 2nd from the top racks and rotate and swap positions when the top pie starts to brown.

So, tonight, I made another batch of dough. I usually do at least a double batch. Tonight I did a quadruple batch. We cooked 4 of the pizzas for Friday night pizza & movies. The dough tasted great as usual, and it was a little better chewiness due to the fact that I took about 10-15 minutes to knead it before the rise. I kneaded it until my shoulders were burning. So, I think this helped chewiness.

As far as fluffiness.....I'm not sure.
I figure I'm either:

1. Trying to thin out the recipe too much. I could use 4 pies for this recipe instead of 6, but I've even tried that here and there, but it always just seems like more dense dough and not any lighter or airier.
2. I know there's a 2nd rise in baking bread and such. I've never thought of doing something like that for pizza dough. Does anyone do this?
3. I'm over punching my dough down? Should I just punch the air out and then divide and shape it gently so as to leave some air in the dough that will just rise more during baking?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

1st what type of pizza are you trying for? aka Chicage,New york etc

2nd start using bakers percents your results will be more consistent

Like kds said pizzamaking.com has more info you ever knew existed. Yes I'm a member there also :)

1st what type of pizza are you trying for? aka Chicage,New york etc

2nd start using bakers percents your results will be more consistent

Like kds said pizzamaking.com has more info you ever knew existed. Yes I'm a member there also :)

Bakers percents?

I'm doing like a hand tossed pizza. I'd like a nice puffy crust around the edges and not so thin that it won't hold up when you pick it up. I guess that's NY style?

I don't know ifi can help with your recipe but u can share mine though.

3 to 4 cups flour (3 in a mixing bowl and use remaining for kneading)
2 packages yeast
1 cup milk
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup luke warm water (will need extra tbsp sugar for this)

Take the 1/4 cup Luke warm water and add yeast, tbsp sugar and butter ( this has to at least double in size)
Use the cup of milk in a pan and add the tbsp of butter and sugar. Scald the milk and add this and the yeast mixture with the flour. Then knead this until you get the right consistency. Let this rise at least 45 min or untilit doubles in size.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I have been on this same quest recently. I have tried a few different things, and am loving the results. YMMV

Locate some 00 Italian flour and blend that with your flour, or use it straight. Also, I always cold ferment my dough for 24 or 48 hours. But it all depends on what type of crust you are shooting for. I did this on a cast iron pizza pat at 550 and my kids freaked out at the crispy crust :eusa_clap

And Semolina in a refreshing change from cornmeal on the sheet.

Hopefully Gianni (SmokinJo) will weigh in here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-156897.html

Thanks for starting this thread, and be sure to check out Pizzamaking forum listed above!

Since I started using this recipe my dough has been easier to stretch out.

It gives bakers percentages. You can also plug the percentages on to the calculator for whatever size pie you want and thickness factor.

This all info I got from pizzamaking forum.

Steel plate would help for home oven baking. I got a piece scrap steel from a local shop for $15

Recipe
http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=18

calculator
http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

Dough thickness factor.
Thin crust (general): 0.10
NY "street" or "slice" style crust: 0.085-0.10 (I personally like 0.10-0.105; some will argue that that is too high for a NY style)
"Elite" NY crust thickness: 0.065-0.085
Medium crust (general): 0.11
Thick crust (general): 0.12-0.13
Neapolitan 1 crust: 0.07-08 (for high-temperature applications)
Neapolitan 2 crust: 0.095-0.11 (for home oven applications, e.g., A16 clones)
Thin "crispy" cracker-type crust: 0.05-0.08
Thin "tender" cracker-type crust: 0.09-0.10
American style: 0.12-0.14
Chicago deep-dish style: 0.11-0.135
Sicilian style: 0.12-0.13 (however, I have seen as high as 0.15)

Wampus and Mrs. Wampus, thank you for this post. I've been thinking about making my own pizzas lately. This post and all the replies are just what was needed.:clap2:

I make a lot of bread, and my guess is that there are a few things you can do that will help. First of all, you're probably not kneading long enough to make the dough stretchy, which you want for pizza. If you are kneading by hand you probably need more like 10 minutes. In a kitchen aid mixer it would be faster but probably still something like 4 minutes. You should feel the dough get more stretchy and springy as you knead it.

When you're trying to stretch it out for pizzas be careful not to overwork it, and let it rest a bit if you need to. As the dough rests it relaxes, and when you handle it it will get tighter. That's why you stretch it to 12 inches it goes back to 8. When it does that, put it down for a few minutes and work on another piece.

I find it works better to hold the dough up in the air, rotate it around and around, and keep stretching it a little as it goes around. Gravity does most of the work and you just need to keep it moving and stretch it a bit. Having it more kneaded will help that to work better.

There is good info and recipes on the King Arthur Flour web site.

Also I agree with the person who said that using bread flour will probably help.

if you want to make pizza on friday, make your dough on wednesday or even tuesday. oil the dough balls and keep them on a flat glass pan. punch them down if they get too big. kneed it and form it into balls by bunching all the edges up to one point with one hand while quarter turning it in the other hand.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-V1J86REA
here is a good video for forming the crust!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgppidytPGU
also, get a big pizza stone and put it on the middle shelf of the oven, then get a pizza peel to slide it in with.

I use a cold rise, and I do use 00 flour, but, not everyone can find it. In a pinch, I will blend bread flour (high protein) with pastry flour (very fine) and that works okay.

The 'formula' for baker's percentages is simple. The flour, whatever amount of flour you're going to use, is 100 percent. Everything else included in the formula is whatever percentage of flour.

So if you're using 500 grams of flour, and want 70 percent hydration while only using water, you'd want 350 grams of water.
The biggest luxury of this formula is its ease in scaling up, or scaling down a recipe.

That pizzamaking site is a very good one, I especially appreciate the 'pizza dough calculator' on that site is really helpful for honing in on percentages for your dough. It's basically one big working baker's percentages calculator, with preset values for crust thickness that you're after; it definitely comes in handy.

I also endorse bread flour. You can also get the 00 Italian Flour as someone up there mentioned, but realistically bread flour is going to do just fine, especially considering the fact you make everything with A.P. flour right now. Plenty of people on the bread forum I harp on wish they could get their hands on our bread flour, but either they're unable to do so, or if they can it costs them an arm and a leg.

The other thing that I forgot to mention that will aid you a great deal with any bread making is using weights on your flour. It's accurate 100 percent of the time. Flour is a tricky S.O.B. when it comes to volume measuring.

Here's the one thing I do that I'm pretty sure isn't helping my situation, but I can't figure out how else to pull it off.

When I make my pizzas, I roll the dough on the counter to get it big enough. I usually try and get a 12" diameter pie out of 1/6th of this recipe. I've tried to hand form the dough, but can usually only manage to get about an 8" dia pie. I've even tried to figure out how to toss the dough and/or work it, holding it by the edge, pulling it with each hand laterally and letting the dough stretch down below my hands and turning it around and around. None of these 3 techniques seem to work without tearing a hole into the dough from getting it too thin or just not being able to work it evenly.

[/QUOTE]

I make a lot of pizza and use a similar recipe with the following changes:
Use 2 cups of Seminola Flour and then 5 cups of Regular or Bread Flour (this will produce a stretchier dough, great for hand tossing)
for the liquid, subistute 1 cup of white wine to the water.

The Seminola Flour is for pasta, and holds up well to the stretching and may help you hand form a better pie

Back