Apple Cider Pulled Pork

King

Full Fledged Farker
I'm excited to share this recipe with you all, it's definitely my best pulled pork to date. I am now a big believer in injecting meats.

It's copy and pasted from my blog.

932-e1315498863763.jpg

Thank you BBQ Gods! This was my best BBQ pulled pork yet…it was moist, tender and melted in my mouth. I finally made pulled pork I’m proud of and it was a result of one thing I added to my recipe…the injection.

I’ve tried the mustard slather and I’ve tried the mopping, but the pork shoulder was still dry on the inside. There was no change in my pork with or without mustard. In addition, mopping the meat eliminated a perfectly good bark, it turns out mushy instead. I no longer do either of those things…it is a waste of time. My new approach is to inject flavor directly into the meat and let it marinate for a day or two.

537-e1315499370352.jpg

Is my butt too big?

Essentially, I took the same approach I did with the Smoke Cuban Pork.

I start with a traditional flavor pairing for pork…apples. Actually, I’m using apple cider which is bountiful towards the end of summer and into the fall. To compliment not only the flavors, but the season too, I added a pumpkin spiced rub:

1 tbsp Pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp Brown sugar
1 tbsp Granulated garlic
1 tsp Paprika
Black and white pepper

The Injection
5291-e1315499078186.jpg

531-e1315499126290.jpg

• 2 cups Apple Cider
  • 2 tbsp Pumpkin Spiced Rub
539-e1315499507609.jpg

Instructions

1. Boil the ingredients in a sauce pan until the rub dissolves. Let it cool.
  2. Fill the needle and start injecting the liquid into the meat.
  3. Place the pork in the refrigerator up to 48 hours, I marinated it for about 36 hours.
543-e1315499566178.jpg

The Rub
Use any kind of rub you want, I recommend a sugar based rub so it caramelizes on the meat and the surface will get a deep dark mahogany bark. I opted for:

• Penzey’s BBQ 3000
  • Penzey’s Cajun Rub
551-e1315499630933.jpg

Instructions

1. Mix both rubs together until blended.
  2. Remove the pork shoulder from the fridge and gently start applying the rub. Don’t push out injection!
  3. Let the shoulder sit at room temp for at least 30 minutes or until the rub looks wet, like a glaze.
  4. Setup the smoker for 225 degrees, I used up the last of my cherry wood.
  5. Place the shoulder on the grill.
  6. Cook until internal temp reaches 200 degrees.
  7. Remove pork from the grill and cover with a sheet of foil for about an hour or until it cools enough to handle.
560-e1315499863791.jpg

Apple cider injected shoulder on the left.

I pulled the butt right at 197 degrees, a total cook time of 11 hours. I only peaked at it once and that was to pull the Cuban pork. This bad boy was done, I loosened the bone up and it came right out!

595-e1315499959630.jpg

635-e1315500013406.jpg

The meat was still hot, but I couldn’t wait any longer so I put the smoked pork in a 2 gallon zip lock back….just like did with the Cuban pork and smashed the heck out of it with my heavy cast iron skillet until succulent shreds of pork are achieved.

638-e1315500086772.jpg

650-e1315500180341.jpg

653-e1315500220192.jpg

I was 2 for 2 on pork butts, this was just as tender, moist and delicious as the Cuban pork. Even after eating a legendary Cuban pork sandwich, I snacked on the pulled pork until I hit the food wall.

654-e1315500263552.jpg

I wouldn’t change anything about this recipe, I just hope I can repeat the results…one of the toughest skills to achieve in BBQ is consistency.

man that stuff looks good! i like the spiced cider and pumpkin pie spice ideas. you can have pumpkin ale, why not pumkin pork! i also will try the smashing method, if only to release anxiety! hopefully there will be someone around if things get ugly!

man that stuff looks good! i like the spiced cider and pumpkin pie spice ideas. you can have pumpkin ale, why not pumkin pork! i also will try the smashing method, if only to release anxiety! hopefully there will be someone around if things get ugly!

I would totally try a pumpkin beer injection! Go for it!

Did you just leave the fat in it and what about the fat cap?

I got these pork butts from Costco...they had no fat cap. I left the fat on the pork, I didn't trim it at all. The fat rendered down to almost none. I got lucky I guess.

Never seen that pan smashing thing - very interesting!

It all looks fantastic :clap2: - glad it worked well for you. Thanks for posting! :thumb:

I got these pork butts from Costco...they had no fat cap. I left the fat on the pork, I didn't trim it at all. The fat rendered down to almost none. I got lucky I guess.

You got bone in butts from Costco? I haven't gotten butts from there in a while 'cause they were boneless, but looks like a second look might be in order,

The pumpkin pie spice was mine and it came specifically from the pumpkin ales I love so much. First time I did it was on those apple pumpkin ribs. Now it's my go to rub that I keep a big container on hand all the time...

Wow, we gotta try that injection/marinade next time, that meat looks soooo moist. And the pan smashing thing was pretty cool!

Nice looking PP. Making me too hungry here. That frying pan smash sounds like a great way to take out some frustrations. Gotta try it.

Thanks for the post and recipe.

BTW, what about the tri-tip you had on the grill? That looks really good as well.

wallace

Nice detailed post. Wonder how apple pie spice would taste on ribs? I'm going to have to try since I'm smoking ribs today.

Back