Honey Powder - How are you using it?

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
While watching Pit Masters this past season, I heard Myron say that he used powdered honey in his rubs... I'd never heard of it and started laughing - I figured Myron was pulling another "muffin pan joke" on us all.

But then I googleized it and found out that there's all sorts of dry honey products! Dehydrated honey, granulated honey, honey powder... wtf?? where has this stuff been and why have I never heard of it? :confused:

So, I finally got me some, how do you folks use it?

DSC07334Medium.jpg

There is a large asian market called H-Mart near us that carries honey powder. I have used it as an ingredient in rubs, and also in some injections as it dissolves quite easily.

Don't remember hearing it mentioned in pitmasters, but yeah, you can find it. At the very least I'm sure you can find it online

Be sure you look at the composition. All the honey powder I've found contains at least 50% sucrose. Some brands have other stuff in them too.

When I asked about it, I was told they put sucrose in it so it wouldn't pack up.

DEIT: That's maltodextrin, not sucrose, sorry.
Chuck

Last edited:
There is a large asian market called H-Mart near us that carries honey powder. I have used it as an ingredient in rubs, and also in some injections as it dissolves quite easily.

Don't remember hearing it mentioned in pitmasters, but yeah, you can find it. At the very least I'm sure you can find it online

Yup, found it at an asian market in seattle (Montana isn't really known for it's diverse ethnic food availability)

It was in one of the early episodes of Pit masters, and just an off handed comment that Myron made, real easy to miss him saying it, I had to back it up a couple of times to figure out what he said.

Be sure you look at the composition. All the honey powder I've found contains at least 50% sucrose. Some brands have other stuff in them too.

When I asked about it, I was told they put sucrose in it so it wouldn't pack up.

Chuck

Good idea, this one says it's cactus honey & maltodextrin, I'll call te company and find out what the ratio is!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said

So do you use it to replace all of the white or brown sugar in a rub or injection, or just part?

i use it in rubs for chicken and ribs and what i have is a powder and not granulated. works well and has a great flavor. I get mine from www.spicebarn.com

Yup, found it at an asian market in seattle (Montana isn't really known for it's diverse ethnic food availability)

It was in one of the early episodes of Pit masters, and just an off handed comment that Myron made, real easy to miss him saying it, I had to back it up a couple of times to figure out what he said.

Good idea, this one says it's cactus honey & maltodextrin, I'll call te company and find out what the ratio is!

So do you use it to replace all of the white or brown sugar in a rub or injection, or just part?

For me, just for part. I like to use turbinado as well. White and brown sugars burn too easily for my liking

Ok, so calling the company was an awesome expirence... Fella could barely understand english, let alone speak it.

Took about 10 tries to get him to understand "Honey Powder".

When He did finally get it, he says "call back later, ask for Choi" Hopefully Choi and I will have a more productive conversation. :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Reminds me of some of my college classes!

Like the people that call me tring to sell a new product.Asked the guy if someone in his company spoke English and his reply was" i speak English very well". I told him to keep practicing. :becky:

Not Really Honey??

Searching online I've seen conflicting statements about honey powder...

Some are saying that the white fine powder product is not honey at all, but actually dehydrated Agave nectar.

Anyone know anything about this?

Here's the claim from the source I posted earlier. Is it true? :confused:

Our delicious honey powder is derived from 100% pure raw honey by eliminating moisture. Honey powder has a full consistent natural honey flavor that will enhance, intensify and complement food. It is an exceptional, natural sweetening agent. Our raw honey comes only from the fields and orchards of Michigan. It is a miracle food. It is an instant energy building food containing all the essential minerals necessary for life; seven vitamins of the B complex group, amino acids, enzymes and an antibacterial agent that acts like penicillin and other antibiotics killing microbes and germs. It is called the elixir of life. Honey is the only natural sweetener that doesn't have to be refined. It is especially recommended for anyone with digestive problems. Raw honey is an energy food. It DOES NOT contribute to "fat" as white sugar does. Many athletes use honey-water solutions instead of salty, mineral, sports drinks. INSTANT ENERGY. Raw honey can be used as an emergency medical dressing. In fact, many times wounds that will not heal will do so if treated with honey. Our raw honey is unheated and unfiltered so that all its attributes are fully preserved.

Here's the claim from the source I posted earlier. Is it true? :confused:

Our delicious honey powder is derived from 100% pure raw honey by eliminating moisture. Honey powder has a full consistent natural honey flavor that will enhance, intensify and complement food. It is an exceptional, natural sweetening agent. Our raw honey comes only from the fields and orchards of Michigan. It is a miracle food. It is an instant energy building food containing all the essential minerals necessary for life; seven vitamins of the B complex group, amino acids, enzymes and an antibacterial agent that acts like penicillin and other antibiotics killing microbes and germs. It is called the elixir of life. Honey is the only natural sweetener that doesn't have to be refined. It is especially recommended for anyone with digestive problems. Raw honey is an energy food. It DOES NOT contribute to "fat" as white sugar does. Many athletes use honey-water solutions instead of salty, mineral, sports drinks. INSTANT ENERGY. Raw honey can be used as an emergency medical dressing. In fact, many times wounds that will not heal will do so if treated with honey. Our raw honey is unheated and unfiltered so that all its attributes are fully preserved.

That's one of the companies I called, because I was about to order it, but I wanted the straight skinny. The owner told me it contained malto. When I pressed him for the percentage, he told me it was 50% malto, so it would flow.

I'm still thinking about getting some from them, but I don't need 22#.

Chuck

Last edited:
Searching online I've seen conflicting statements about honey powder...

Some are saying that the white fine powder product is not honey at all, but actually dehydrated Agave nectar.

Anyone know anything about this?

The only Agave nectar I know about comes in a blue bottle and says Cabo Wabo on the outside :-D

As far as the honey powder, it sounds like you're the Brethren guinea pig on this one! It sounds like it is probably sweeter than turbinado sugar so maybe start at half the amount of turb and work your way up or down from there.

If he used it at Smoke on the Water he didn't seem to par very well!

I'm getting the feeling that this is kinda like askin' about chipotle peppers in adobo sauce... "Whut? Chee-pot-lay peppers? Never heard of em', whut's that??"

Back