What's a good white wine?

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have been a beer drinker most of my adult life, but over the last few years it has caused tummy aches and such during the middle of the night. I finally decided it wasn't worth it so I started trying other adult beverages while celebrating with family and friends.

For now I think I have decided on white wine as my social drink of choice. So far I have no ill affects and find I enjoy the flavor of Pinot Grigios, in particular this one:

ESXPfUZl.png

Do any of you experts have suggestions on any other white vino I might enjoy. Thanks and I raise my glass to you this holiday season!

I have been a beer drinker most of my adult life, but over the last few years it has caused tummy aches and such during the middle of the night. I finally decided it wasn't worth it so I started trying other adult beverages while celebrating with family and friends.

For now I think I have decided on white wine as my social drink of choice. So far I have no ill affects and find I enjoy the flavor of Pinot Grigios, in particular this one:

ESXPfUZl.png

Do any of you experts have suggestions on any other white vino I might enjoy. Thanks and I raise my glass to you this holiday season!

I would recommend looking to see if any local wine shops have wine tastings. The one here has a tasting every Thursday and its a great way to try new wines.

It also could be the beer. I have a similar problem when drinking things like Bud and PBR. A good beer takes longer to drink, sipping to appreciate the flavor, as apposed to drinking something to wash down food. I drink water with food, wine and beer when my palate is clear.

My wife is a fan of Barefoot Pinot Grigio. I will occasionally join her, and I have no idea how a good wine is supposed to taste, but it is good to me.

Asking for a good wine is like asking for a length of string. How much do you want to spend? I'd suggest that you find a small wine shop where a knowledgeable owner or salesperson can get to know you and help you explore your preferences, including price points.

I'm a red wine guy. When I walk through my wine shop door the owner (it's a solo business) greets me by name and asks what I want. The answer is almost always "The usual." That's a mixed case of big reds with a bias towards tannins, selected from today's inventory to suit my price range.

One thing you might explore is chardonnays. There is a huge variety, some with oak aging ("oaked") and some un-oaked. Price range from rotgut to infinity from vinyards all over the world. These are generally quite dry. If you like a little sweeter, explore the reislings. Price range from abundant rotgut to quite premium wines, mostly from Germany.

My wife and I also have digestive issues and we really like Summit Estates Riesling. It has a bold, fruity flavor and never bitter. It’s very smooth and lite.

My wife drinks about two ounces of alcohol per year. Usually NyQuil in February. When I drink wine I’m a 1-2 glass and done. On the rare occasion I skip and drink 4-5 I pay for it with headache So the box works great for me. I’ve a fly fishing friend that tells me every night he and his wife split a bottle of wine. Then she nurses 1 Miller Lite and him 1 Scotch.

I’ve got quite a few bottles of wine, but if I opened them half would ruin each time. Box works for me

If you have the ability to appreciate a good wine, that's one thing. My wife used to run a wine store, and is trained as to the nuances of a good wine. She, with my support, buys a good wine for herself, and something cheap for me. I've sampled both side by side and agree with her-they taste the same.
I prefer red wine, and buy the sweet red from a Michigan winery. It's on sale right now for $6.99, I need to restock.

0008497000120_0_A1C1_0600.png

I Googled, Montana has it's own wineries.
https://www.google.com/search?clien....0....1..gws-wiz.......0i67j0i131.Gk95LyszOw0
Then there is the kangaroo piss from Australia that you can find in most grocery stores.:becky:

That's the way it's supposed to work. Price tag ,brand etc. is all secondary to what tastes good to you.

I'll second that. I've drank some expensive highly rated wines that I thought were not very good. (I didn't buy them) The thing I like to do is find cheap wines that taste good to me. If you like it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Back