THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh. I did not see that this thread was from 2018 and i had already commented. How did everything turn out? Whatcha drinking these days?

I really like Greg Norman's wines from Australia. Both the Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay are exceptional. Francis Ford Coppola puts out an outstanding Chardonnay. And there's always Kendall Jackson, which is always solid and on most decent restaurant's menus. If I'm at Kroger, I usually pick up the Coppola. If I'm at Liquor Barn or some larger store that carries it, I'm going with Greg "The Shark" Norman. Fess Parker, before he died, had a vineyard that produced an excellent Pinot Noir and Merlot, if you want to try reds, but I haven't seen it in a while.... not sure if it's still there after he died.

For a good white I'll agree with the forementioned Kim Crawford sauvignon blanc...about $17. For good but not as good and cheaper Cavit Pinot Grigio $10.

To me Barefoot or Yellowtail are both really good brands. I've tried a few more expensive brands but I tend to like those (Barefoot/Yellowtail) better but I'm by no means a connoisseur. As far as white wine goes, I like Sauvignon Blanc. If you want a sweet wine I have no clue. I know most women like Moscato though. :becky:

I worked at an exclusive Country Club when I was I college. If you applied for membership, you had to attach a $30K check to be cashed if your application was accepted. And this was in the 90's, when $30K was real money.

One thing the club did that I thought was cool is we held a blind wine tasting every year to pick the house wines.

As long as I was there, Concho y Toro wines won the tasting hands down. Back then we were buying them for $3 wholesale.

These are affordable, drinkable wines to keep around the house if you're not trying to impress anyone.

They retail for $6.99-$8.99 here in Virginia.

I agree that wine taste varies from person to person, and I usually don’t like the wines recommended at the liquor store.

For white wine we like Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio

I found that some of the cheap red wines I liked give me a headache. I also found that if I find a good red wine that I like the liquor store will swap things out from time to time and it will no longer be available. We settled on J-Lohr Cabernet Savionyon because it is a decent red wine and is always available. The price isn’t bad either.

If you want an inexpensive Italian table wine that is decent try Opici Cianti. cianti is the wine that comes in the straw wrapped bottle. It’s a decent inexpensive Italian table wine to have with a Tuesday night dinner(meaning nothing fancy)

I also don't tend to Moscato like your wife, but I really like a good Chardonnay! In general, I am a supporter of buying a bottle of Malbec and drinking it with fruit. My wife also likes this activity, so we always have a bottle of red wine on the table for dinner on weekends.
Oh, I forgot to say that maybe you should look at other types of wine! There are a lot of them and they are all very different. For example, I do not like the Cabernet Merlot that I tried at an exhibition in Italy.
Usually we make an order at home and so that it is not too expensive, we use a service that you can find more that my uncle recommended to us.
I think you've tried the wrong wines! If you like something sweet-pick it up. If you like not having fun-try Tannat, hahah
In fact, you need to try different varieties of wine, they are really very, very different from each other.

I really like Greg Norman's wines from Australia. Both the Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay are exceptional. Francis Ford Coppola puts out an outstanding Chardonnay. And there's always Kendall Jackson, which is always solid and on most decent restaurant's menus. If I'm at Kroger, I usually pick up the Coppola. If I'm at Liquor Barn or some larger store that carries it, I'm going with Greg "The Shark" Norman. Fess Parker, before he died, had a vineyard that produced an excellent Pinot Noir and Merlot, if you want to try reds, but I haven't seen it in a while.... not sure if it's still there after he died.

Yep. It's still there and producing very nice wines.

Go to Costco and buy some pinot grigios, sav blancs and chardonnays under $20. I'm sure you'll find one you like.

Back