boneless beef knuckles

L

lazybonesmoke1

I bought two cases of peeled australian boneless beef knuckles and was wondering how you guys would smoke them? I am marinating them in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme and lemons. It is for a benefit at a museum on saturday and I don't know if I should cook them like a brisket~low and slow or should I go hotter and cook it till medium?

Ive never heard of them. Im sure their a very tough cut but not sure. Im sure someone much more knowledgeable than I will be here in a short time. Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.

Mike

From what I've found, it sounds like its a cut from the bottom round. So it is from a roast cut. Low and slow sounds right. Braising might be the best approach. I'll keep looking.

i'm guessing you have to braise beef knuckles just like you would goat ankles or maybe even like you would carp knees. but I aint sure.
on edit, let us know how they turn out or um what they are.

knucklepeeled003.jpg

I hope this helps.

Honestly, after looking at those I'd sear and braise them in beer, wine or tomato sauce or some liquid to extend the cooking time and break down the meat a bit to make it tender without drying out.

You have two cases, maybe test one on a high heat grill (taking it to medium/medium-rare) tomorrow to see how it is after a brief rest and slicing?

Also, does anyone know what "peeled" means? I am starting to think it has more fat removed than the "unpeeled" version of various cuts, but I really have no clue.

SmokeInDaEye said:
Also, does anyone know what "peeled" means? I am starting to think it has more fat removed than the "unpeeled" version of various cuts, but I really have no clue.

At our Superbowl party we were all Peeled. We also had no clue.:lol:

The beef round consists of three primal cuts. Beef Bottom Round, Beef Top Round and Beef Knuckle. Peeled Knuckle is one that has had the fat cap peeled off of it. Austrailian beef is generally leaner and dryer than ours. So with that being said, you will be starting with a dry, tougher piece of meat. Braising would be the way to cook it.

SmokeInDaEye said:

i think peeled usually means the silverskin has been removed.

Those look like tri tips.. i dont see alot of marbleing.. and the texture dont look like brisket or beef ribs.

If your lookin to BBQ them, and we cant figur eout what they are, i would cut a piece of of one, enugh for a decent sample and start cooking them all together... slice and sample the piece at 140 and see how it is.. if its like a roast beef and tender that may be as far as you need to go.., if its still shoe leather, along comes a brisket technique.

i have a feeling doc will know when he gets here.

I'm going to smoke one with my briskets tonight. I'll post some pics tomarrow.

Back