Tacos de Carne Asada ~ Oakridge BBQ Style!!

kcmike

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
In order to show the versatility of our new Santa Maria Steak Seasoning, I thought I'd make some tacos de carne asada (aka: steak tacos).

The two most popular cuts of beef for this dish are flank steaks and skirt steaks. Most Spanish folks will tell you, the most authentic cut for this dish are skirt steaks. While flank steaks will certainly work in a pinch, the extra flavor, tenderness and juiciness one gets from using a skirt steak will make a difference in the final product.

The only way I can get skirt steaks here in KC is to buy them through my local Restaurant Depot. They come in 10 - 15 lb. cryovac packs with anywhere from 5 - 7 skirt steaks contained within each package.

6093274809_685204bb69_b.jpg

Purchased in this format, you'll be looking at doing quite a bit of butchering in order to get each skirt in a usable form. Here is a pic of one skirt fresh out of the package...

6093812320_e7f9a8274a_b.jpg

And, here is a shot post-trimming... Notice the pile of off-trim in the upper left-hand corner. Expect to remove this much or slightly more from each skirt steak. Use a small sharp knife and work slowly so you don't cut yourself.

6093812588_329a7c6cb3_b.jpg

Next, grab a package of Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria Steak Seasoning and begin coating both sides of each skirt steak evenly and liberally. Then, squeeze the juice of two limes over the entire tray. I only covered the tops of each steak and didn't bother flipping them to coat the other side. Make sure to wet each thoroughly with the fresh lime juice.

6093813482_0b282c1269_b.jpg

6093812978_79ff21a809_b.jpg

Then, wrap the entire tray in a couple layers of plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for a minimum of one hour.

It had gotten too dark for good pictures, so I didn't take any of the cooking process, however it couldn't get any easier... Basically, fire up your grill using lump charcoal (preferred), and get it VERY HOT. If you don't have lump or even a charcoal grill, don't worry. Just get whatever grill you have as hot as you can get it.

Before you begin grilling, prepare 6 more limes for juicing by slightly bruising them then cut each in half across the middle. Now, place each skirt steak on the grill directly over the hot coals. Sear the first side, then flip. Once flipped, squeeze fresh lime juice over each steak thoroughly. Then when ready, flip them again and coat the other side. Continue flipping and marinating with lime juice until they are cooked to med-rare. Remove them to a plate or pan to rest...

6093813794_fd22d192c0_b.jpg

After 10-15 minutes of resting time, place a skirt steak on your cutting board and slice it at a 45º angle to the grain on a bias, like below...

6093276857_a3c97ff60d_b.jpg

Now, it's time to start building some tacos... Heat some corn (or flour) tortillas on a hot skillet and put a small handful of carne asada in the middle. Then, follow that with some fresh pico de gallo, shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and some fresh salsa roja. Finish them off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and tear in....

6093814606_a65c953a7d_b.jpg

6093277893_991334864a_b.jpg

That looks fantastic, nicely done :thumb: You put sugar in the Santa Maria huh, is it sweet?

Yes I know most people want sides with a dish like that, not me man. Just gimme a bunch of tortillas and meat and I am happy as can be!

That meat looks so awesome I wanted to take a bite out of the screen!:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

That looks fantastic, nicely done :thumb: They put sugar in their Santa Maria huh, is it sweet?

Not sweet what so ever. Actually, it is kinda' hot. While it's true, we do put some raw sugar in our Santa Maria rub, it's only a tiny amount. Of course, if I told you how much, I'd have to kill you... :becky::becky::becky::becky: (just kidding)

Rest assured, it's there for a very specific set of purposes, however none of them are to make the rub taste sweet. Again, if I told you why.... :becky::becky::becky::becky:

The only problem is that you made them a week too early. Those would be VERY competitive in the Tortilla Throwdown, which starts 9/2. You need to make more next weekend. :thumb:

CD

Ooooooo...al carbon. Love it! The rub gives a real nice sheen in conjunction with the lime juice! Looks like the perfect amount of carmalization from the sugar too.

Wow, those look GREAT. Send a couple of tacos to sample, please! Extra pico on one! ;)

Ooooooo...al carbon. Love it! The rub gives a real nice sheen in conjunction with the lime juice! Looks like the perfect amount of carmalization from the sugar too.

Yeah, those little crispy bits literally exploded with flavor on those tacos! Funny story... as I was grilling them, every once in a while as I'd flip one, there would be a couple nubs of seasoning on them that would be glowing red like little embers... :thumb: :thumb:

Looks great, got to go to the local grocery and see if I can find some skirt steak, I have never bought it before but thanks to you I am going a searching for it. Thanks for the post and pictures.

Holy crap I asked about this today and got my answer! Nice farking tacos! That is my kind of soul food right there. I'm gonna have to check out that seasoning :thumb:

Yes Sir! I'm ready for some of those, mouth is watering right now. Really nice job.

Newb question...is skirt steak grilled similar to a tenderloin, let's say? You said keep flipping it but to my understanding, other steak is usually flipped once. Also, that is an excellent trim job. Is the marbling in the middle or something? I'm not sure I could pull that off.

Newb question...is skirt steak grilled similar to a tenderloin, let's say? You said keep flipping it but to my understanding, other steak is usually flipped once. Also, that is an excellent trim job. Is the marbling in the middle or something? I'm not sure I could pull that off.

IMO it's better than tenderloin. Yes marbling runs throughout the meat. It is a muscle that gets used alot so it's tougher (acidic marinade!) but has way more flavor. It's my favorite cut of beef right now. I flip once but the way I get around that is a 1/4 turn at 2-4 minutes. Once it has a nice crust on one side I flip. Let it rest 10-15 minutes and slice against the grain and it's so farking good in a tortilla with hot sauce, pico, avocado etc. Try to buy quality meat it makes a difference.

Put a stand up next to a Taco Bell selling those bad boys and you'd put them out of business! Those look incredible!

To add onto what Smokey Al said...

The skirt steak is actually part of the cow's diaphragm. The tenderloin resides further back, nestled up against the cow's backbone (from the inside) and runs from their hip joint all the way to about midships along either side of the spine. Tenderloins (or Filet Mignon) are by nature very tender and rather lean. Skirt steaks on the other hand, have a very grainy meat texture and are highly marbled. However, you basically cook them the same way... High heat to med-rare, med at the most.

Don't get hung up about the number of times you flip. Only flipping once per side is actually an urban legend. Release the shackles that bind you and feel free to flip as many times as necessary to achieve the degree of done-ness and crust you prefer!! There's actually good science behind flipping more frequently, especially with steaks over direct heat. It helps you avoid the dreaded "overdone on one side and underdone on the other" scenario.

Good luck! :thumb:

Back