Chicken wings

BBQfirefighter148

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Have you every brined wings before throwing them on the cooker? I had a friend tell me he brined for 48 hrs before he rubbed and cooked. That seems like a long time to me. I usually do over night when info hole chicken.

I brine any chicken that I throw on the smoker. Every UFC card I do a pile of wings, and I always brine between 2-4 hours. Anything more than that I find that the wings get too salty. 48 hours is too long for my taste.

i bring whole chickens for 12-16 hours, wings i would go about 6-8. 48 for wings is pointless IMO. that meat is not that thick, so it wont take long to soak in.

The time of your brine will depend on the salinity of your brine. Maybe your friend's brine has a very low salinity? Thus, the 48 hour time (although I would have to guess that salt in the water and wing would equalize way, way before then).

No salt in his brine viniger apple juice and spices.

he might as well inject the chicken with that mixture. If he brines it in that mixture for 48 hours, the vinegar will slowly cook the meat and give it a different texture.

No salt in his brine viniger apple juice and spices.

If there is no salt then it isn't a brine. It's a marinade.

Depending on the amount of vinegar I would be concerned going too long, but if he is doing it with good results, then try it.

aawa is correct the acid in the vinegar will cook the wings especialy being in the "brine" for 48 hours rendering it with almost a chewie texture from my experience.
Like the rest have said depending on the salinity I would go for 4-6 personally and let the rub do the work for flavoring.

I like to brine my wings for about 1-2 hrs. with a simple brine of 1 qt water, 1/4 c diamond crystal kosher salt, 2 tblsp sugar and kick it up with 2-3 tblsp SM sweet seduction. They come out amazing.

Wishbone Italian Dressing for a couple of hours

Back